Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R3000 how reliable  (Read 13125 times)

Farmer

Re: Epson R3000 how reliable
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 04:25:06 pm »

As the OP said, that's not really correct. The R3000 has greater number of reported failures than similar Epsons of the past.

Where and by whom?  That's the point.  Anecdote not data.
Phil Brown

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 05:46:44 pm »

Where and by whom?  That's the point.  Anecdote not data.
The reality is that "anecdote", as you choose to call reports on the web, is the only thing to go on. Epson are hardly likely to release credible data to suggest that one of their printers is less reliable than their normal standard, are they ? and there's no other reliable "data" in the public domain.
Or maybe we should all just buy things on the assumption that they will be perfect regardless of what's being written on the web because it's not 'data'.

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 05:55:37 pm »

The reality is that "anecdote", as you choose to call reports on the web, is the only thing to go on. Epson are hardly likely to release credible data to suggest that one of their printers is less reliable than their normal standard, are they ? and there's no other reliable "data" in the public domain.
Or maybe we should all just buy things on the assumption that they will be perfect regardless of what's being written on the web because it's not 'data'.

+1 on this,this is why I choose to rely on info I got after speaking with my repairmen,for 2-3 hours,and the fact that their shop, had half a dozen Epson printers ,waiting for repair.
That IMHO,is reliable, factual DATA.
My repair bill had more factual data,as well.

Farmer

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 07:41:16 pm »

I've said numerous times that talking about experiences is important.  Pikeys' decision makes perfect sense.

Drawing further conclusions from a lack of data or deciding that a lack of data means that anecdotes are worthy of being escalated to data is fraught with the danger of being wrong.

Call it what it is, acknowledge you haven't anything better, and by all means make a decision.  Just don't call it something that it isn't, particularly based on very small sample sizes.
Phil Brown

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 08:13:01 pm »

I've said numerous times that talking about experiences is important.  Pikeys' decision makes perfect sense.

Drawing further conclusions from a lack of data or deciding that a lack of data means that anecdotes are worthy of being escalated to data is fraught with the danger of being wrong.

Call it what it is, acknowledge you haven't anything better, and by all means make a decision.  Just don't call it something that it isn't, particularly based on very small sample sizes.

This sounds like it turning into a Sherlock Holmes mystery
Anecdotes,,Fraud?
Who did it.?....the butler
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:34:12 pm by pikeys »

Farmer

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:38 pm »

errr, "fraught" is not the same word as "fraud" :-)
Phil Brown

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 08:57:49 pm »

I bow to the senior member
+,you know a hell of a lot more about printers!than I do,but
These guys that run the repair shop,really knew their......*hit

Farmer

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 09:01:36 pm »

Oh, don't believe something I say just because I have more posts here!

And as I said, your decision makes perfect sense.  It's just a discussion about the broader application of experience versus extensive data is all :-)
Phil Brown

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 09:19:34 am »

I'm inclined to remind people that the plural of anecdote is not data.

Like that. Must remember it.

I can only comment on the basis of personal experience - about 27 months use of R3000 with no problems whatsoever. It just keeps running and I love the quality of print - especially for genuine cast-free B&W, which I could never quite achieve with the R1900 that I had previously.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

KSonde

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 01:47:33 pm »

I can only comment on the basis of personal experience - about 27 months use of R3000 with no problems whatsoever. It just keeps running and I love the quality of print - especially for genuine cast-free B&W, which I could never quite achieve with the R1900 that I had previously.

Same with my 18 month old R3000. Absolutely no problems and produces beautiful prints with very little clogging, even though I don't print every week.

It would seem to me that without knowing how many of these printers have been sold, it is impossible to judge the printer by how many people may report a problem with theirs. What one needs is not the number of problem printers but the percentage based on the total number sold. Since we have no way of knowing how many have been sold, the number of complaints is totally without meaning. It may be 1 out of 1000 or 1 out of 10.

Just my $.02 worth.

Kurt

mkihne

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 02:14:32 pm »

+1, fwiw. Have had a R3000 for nearly two years without a clog or failure of any kind. Same with two 3880s, one set up with Cone B&W. (Now watch them all go to hell tomorrow) ;D

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 02:24:54 pm »

+1, fwiw. Have had a R3000 for nearly two years without a clog or failure of any kind. Same with two 3880s, one set up with Cone B&W. (Now watch them all go to hell tomorrow) ;D

Shhhhhh!
Don't,s anything,....LOL

LeonD

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 11:56:15 am »

It would seem to me that without knowing how many of these printers have been sold, it is impossible to judge the printer by how many people may report a problem with theirs. What one needs is not the number of problem printers but the percentage based on the total number sold. Since we have no way of knowing how many have been sold, the number of complaints is totally without meaning. It may be 1 out of 1000 or 1 out of 10.

And common sense has entered the room.  Damn, I hate when that happens.   >:(

Raw shooter

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 12:14:35 pm »

R3000 has outstanding print quality - better than my 4880 for small paper jobs.

The reliability is horrible.  Caution purchasing the R3000 - short life cycle.

I am on my second in 2 years due to black ink leaking on prints.  Epson doesn't help with anything after one year and they are fully aware of the problem.
I feel a bit stupid for buying another, but the features work so well in my workflow- and nothing else fits yet.
Hope this helps add to the discussion.

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 12:23:47 pm »

R3000 has outstanding print quality - better than my 4880 for small paper jobs.

The reliability is horrible.  Caution purchasing the R3000 - short life cycle.

I am on my second in 2 years due to black ink leaking on prints.  Epson doesn't help with anything after one year and they are fully aware of the problem.
I feel a bit stupid for buying another, but the features work so well in my workflow- and nothing else fits yet.
Hope this helps add to the discussion.

Question is:
Will you buy a third??

Which model/from other manufacturers,would you consider
If mine goes again,I'll more than likely up grade to the 3880,in the long run,it will cost me less in ink,and I'll be able to make 17inch prints.
Good Luck,

Mike

Raw shooter

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 01:52:47 pm »

Question is:
Will you buy a third??

Which model/from other manufacturers,would you consider
If mine goes again,I'll more than likely up grade to the 3880,in the long run,it will cost me less in ink,and I'll be able to make 17inch prints.
Good Luck,

Mike

I don't thinks so, not 3  ;D .  The 3880 isn't the same generation of Epson technology - and is more like my 4880.  With both the 3880 & the 4880, I have to actively soft proof through Photoshop.  The R3000, not so much.  The R3000 just has manufacturing defects, while the printer and the driver are more advanced - in my experience.

PharmGeek

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 04:00:21 pm »

hello, im new to this forum :)

I just ordered the R3000 last night after reading and reading and stuff...

I was concerned about reliability as well and considered cannon based on a personal survey of the anectodes I could find on the net.

I am always glad that people share personal experience....but being that I work in medicine, I am always so darn leary about anecdotes. 

What do they mean?  Can they give a person a sense about causation, reliability, etc? Its very difficult.

What I can say is that as I looked hard enough I found complaints and issues readily discussed with most printer models and the results of my own informal "meta-analysis" led me to a basic state of uncertainty about having any really strong ability to predict reliability for the printers I was considering (same ones discussed by OP).

No one knows really....there is no systematic data or proper sampling to my knowledge to truly assess this.  Anecdotes on amazon's website were mostly very good....but with a number of concerned individuals to perhaps give some pause...then on B&H site it seemed more uniformly good than amazon?  Why is that...we can only speculate? 

I honestly have no idea, but I hope the R3000 works out for me...I got a 2 year extended warranty because I was a bit spooked...hoping for no hassles....but if you read long enough on the net about printers it seems it is innevitable?

I am glad that folks share personal experience...it may be the best info we have to go on but it is a difficult thing though....

I dont feel terribly worried that most of these units are POS's as there is very sufficient positive anecdotes on the web on it to give some sense of "pretty good reliability and ease of use"...

That is my rationalization at this point anyway....

I will keep you all up to date on how it goes for me.

Take Care.

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 04:16:23 pm »

hello, im new to this forum :)

I just ordered the R3000 last night after reading and reading and stuff...

I was concerned about reliability as well and considered cannon based on a personal survey of the anectodes I could find on the net.

I am always glad that people share personal experience....but being that I work in medicine, I am always so darn leary about anecdotes. 

What do they mean?  Can they give a person a sense about causation, reliability, etc? Its very difficult.

What I can say is that as I looked hard enough I found complaints and issues readily discussed with most printer models and the results of my own informal "meta-analysis" led me to a basic state of uncertainty about having any really strong ability to predict reliability for the printers I was considering (same ones discussed by OP).

No one knows really....there is no systematic data or proper sampling to my knowledge to truly assess this.  Anecdotes on amazon's website were mostly very good....but with a number of concerned individuals to perhaps give some pause...then on B&H site it seemed more uniformly good than amazon?  Why is that...we can only speculate? 

I honestly have no idea, but I hope the R3000 works out for me...I got a 2 year extended warranty because I was a bit spooked...hoping for no hassles....but if you read long enough on the net about printers it seems it is innevitable?

I am glad that folks share personal experience...it may be the best info we have to go on but it is a difficult thing though....

I dont feel terribly worried that most of these units are POS's as there is very sufficient positive anecdotes on the web on it to give some sense of "pretty good reliability and ease of use"...

That is my rationalization at this point anyway....

I will keep you all up to date on how it goes for me.

Take Care.

IMHO,you bought one of the best printers Epson makes,also,you were wise in getting the extended warranty,I did not-big mistake.
I have owned Epson printers ,for the last 12 years
Its a good idea to follow this thread,the more you learn,the less problems you might? have,or avoid.
There are some great guys on this forum,and most of them really know their stuff.

One tip ---if you don't plan on printing for an extended period of time,say 2-3 weeks or longer ,,run a print though the printer,anything doesn't have to be a photo,web page?
Hopefully,some of the more senior members ,will chime in here ,and give you more pointers
Good Luck & congratulations,

Mike

PharmGeek

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 07:21:50 pm »

Thanks!

I have read pointers how you should power it up often to mix the ink and print ?weekly? If in a state of dormancy or non use

Besides doing a lot of stuff for my own walls and such - I plan on joining a local club that has been around a while and it is print only display

Printing now has pointed out many flaws in my photography - having fun learning and improving (I hope)

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:42 pm »

Thanks!

I have read pointers how you should power it up often to mix the ink and print ?weekly? If in a state of dormancy or non use

Besides doing a lot of stuff for my own walls and such - I plan on joining a local club that has been around a while and it is print only display

Printing now has pointed out many flaws in my photography - having fun learning and improving (I hope)

My repair men,suggested for me to leave the printer on{unless your going on vacation,or will be gone for a long period},,- it goes through some light cleaning cycle,and this uses ink.,so..?
I have not verified this,but,I followed all his suggestions
My printer was repaired about 3 weeks ago.....Ardito Repair ,in LI,NY..I was out of warranty..cost me...ouch!!

When you get delivery,call Epson,make sure you have the latest driver & firmware
If I , think of more ideas/suggestions,I'll post back
Hope this helps.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:34:53 pm by pikeys »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up