Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R3000 how reliable  (Read 13124 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Epson R3000 how reliable
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:05:08 am »

Hello! I was seeking some advice for my next printer. I currently use a Canon 9500 MKII but I see the Epson R3000 has a $150 rebate making the price $750 at BHPHOTO running till the end of the month. I have a friend who is really getting into printing and wants to purchase my Canon 9500 MKII. I'm tempted to sell and I read good things on the Epson r3000 (I print a LOT of B&W) but I  see people have gotten lemons or it printed for 3 months and it died. I've had the Canon for over two years and (knocking on wood) I've never had the slightest problem with it. I'm American living in Germany and shipping a broke printer back to the states to get it fixed would be a disaster for me. I would like to know what current Epson r3000 owners think of the reliabilty of their printers. I would also like to know what people think of the print quality compared to my Canon 9500 MKII especially black & white or compared to the Canon Pro-1. Bottom line is this going to be a big jump in print quality from my current Canon?

Thanks in advance

Mark Seawell

francois

Re: Epson R3000 how reliable
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:19:55 am »

Mark,
How are local prices in Germany? Here in Switzerland, the R300 sells under CHF700 (VAT included) which is around $770. Shipping from the US and import taxes/VAT should make much more expensive than the $750.

I cannot comment on the reliability, I don't own the R3000…
Francois

mseawell

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:02:08 am »

I haven't check but my problem is I'm heading back to the states to live probably this summer so I need 110v. I'm still doing my research but I'm reading a lot of stories about dead R3000 printers and this bothers me. It seems to be "When it is working it produces GREAT prints!" but I value reliability a lot and my two canon printers have NEVER given me a problem. Hmmmmm

francois

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:18:04 am »

I haven't check but my problem is I'm heading back to the states to live probably this summer so I need 110v. I'm still doing my research but I'm reading a lot of stories about dead R3000 printers and this bothers me. It seems to be "When it is working it produces GREAT prints!" but I value reliability a lot and my two canon printers have NEVER given me a problem. Hmmmmm

I see so a printer bought in Europe/220V is out of question. Now, is the trouble to ship that printer to Germany and then back to the states really worth it?
Francois

mseawell

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 08:20:32 am »

Maybe not! Canon printers have a world wide warrenty. I'm not sure about the Epson printers. I think I may just hold on to my Canon till I get back to the states. The epson r3000 seems to have some SERIOUS reliability issues. I don't need the drama, just good prints!

Mark
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:30:11 am by mseawell »

hanzo

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:19:37 pm »

I had it for 2 years now.. and only print occasionally, like maybe once a month or less.
no serious problem so far. But I live in humid climate

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »

Maybe not! Canon printers have a world wide warrenty. I'm not sure about the Epson printers. I think I may just hold on to my Canon till I get back to the states. The epson r3000 seems to have some SERIOUS reliability issues. I don't need the drama, just good prints!

Mark,
I've had my R3000 since 7/2011,and until recently I had no problem
Due to USER ERROR,and lack of use,I didn't turn on the printer sometimes for 2,3,4 months.{due to work schedule}
Printers don't like that.
I developed an issue where large deposit of black ink were deposited on the paper
So,had to take it in for repair { was out of warranty} ,& got it fixed by the next day.
They had to replace a part,that is used to control the ink flow-they went over the entire printer,and now the R3000 is singing.,& runs like a brand new machine.

So,I recommend you get it,maybe wait until you are back in the States
Epson is always running sales,& promos--sign up for their e-mail discounts.,they will auto contact you,when the sales begin

Hope this helps
Mike

LeonD

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 04:52:19 pm »

I've had my R3000 for two years now.  It's connected to an iMac running Lightroom and I use refillable ink cartridges with third party ink.

I really haven't done that much printing with my busiest month being maybe 10 - 15 prints (mostly 13x19).  And I have gone 2 to 3 months without printing anything.

This printer has been flawless.  In two years, I think I've run the cleaning cycle once.  Even after sitting for three month, I'll start it up and the first print is perfect.

I'd highly recommend an Epson R3000.

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:27:32 pm »

I've had my R3000 for two years now.  It's connected to an iMac running Lightroom and I use refillable ink cartridges with third party ink.

I really haven't done that much printing with my busiest month being maybe 10 - 15 prints (mostly 13x19).  And I have gone 2 to 3 months without printing anything.

This printer has been flawless.  In two years, I think I've run the cleaning cycle once.  Even after sitting for three month, I'll start it up and the first print is perfect.

I'd highly recommend an Epson R3000.

Consider yourself lucky...
My repair center had 2 R3000  in the shop,and a number of much larger models as well

Mike

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:24:44 am »

I'm inclined to remind people that the plural of anecdote is not data.
Phil Brown

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 04:28:15 am »

I'm inclined to remind people that the plural of anecdote is not data.
True, but there seems to be more anecdotes about the R3000 failing mechanically than any other Epson printer I can remember. Not only that, but ownership levels don't seem to be as high as other models, so it seems to have a higher number of 'anecdotes' per unit than any other Epson printer out there. Maybe not definitive 'data', but an an indication that there's a problem there.

Where would we be with out all the 'anecdotes' of premature ink fading that was widely reported in the past ? If that hadn't been so widely and rightly criticised pigment inks might have taken a lot longer to hit the market. 

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 05:32:06 am »

If piece of mind is what you are looking for all you have to do is spend $200+ more and get the proven realibility and cost savings of the 3880.
You can print 17" wide.
The printer just does not clog.
3800 has a proven 5 year track record. 3880 follows in the same footstep.
You get get full 80ml carts or 720 ml of total ink replaceable at .60 per ml. (You get almost $450.00 worth of ink with the printer)
With the R3000 you get 234 ml with the printer replaceable at $1.08 per ml.
Taking into account purchase price,reliability,the extra ink that comes with the printer plus the reduced cost per ml of the 3880 inks make this almost a no brainer.

Most if not all of the entry level printers I would classify as disposable. (Some of the bigger one too.)
Something goes wrong after warranty expiration they go in the dumpster.
With the cost of repair exceeding $100 per hour it just not pay to get these repaired now days.(Another very good reason to buy a proven model.)

A very satisfied 3800 and 3880 owner.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:05:39 pm by Dan Berg »

Rhossydd

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 05:38:00 am »

If piece of mind is what you are looking for all you have to do is spend $200+ more and get the proven realibility and cost savings of the 3880.
+1
The 38xx series is probably Epson's best printer series ever. You hardly ever read of a complaint about them, but there are huge numbers out there in all sorts of usage.

Farmer

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 05:02:21 pm »

True, but there seems to be more anecdotes about the R3000 failing mechanically than any other Epson printer I can remember. Not only that, but ownership levels don't seem to be as high as other models, so it seems to have a higher number of 'anecdotes' per unit than any other Epson printer out there. Maybe not definitive 'data', but an an indication that there's a problem there.

Where would we be with out all the 'anecdotes' of premature ink fading that was widely reported in the past ? If that hadn't been so widely and rightly criticised pigment inks might have taken a lot longer to hit the market. 

The plural of anecdote should probably be "reason to look for correlation".

How do you know the ownership levels are lower?  Where are you getting that information?  Of course people should highlight if they have issues, but it's important to avoid making unsustained assumptions.  Post hoc ergo propter hoc also comes to mind.

Maybe there is an overall problem, but it's important to look for facts rather than filling in with assumptions.
Phil Brown

Rhossydd

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 05:21:08 pm »

How do you know the ownership levels are lower?  Where are you getting that information? 
A combination of how many people report using them on forums and how often I see customers of my profiling business using them.
Got any better insight ?

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 05:32:57 pm »

A combination of how many people report using them on forums and how often I see customers of my profiling business using them.
Got any better insight ?

According to my repair man Ardito repair service,in LI,NY ..The R3000 is one of the biggest selling printers they make,especially when they are running a rebates/sales
Unfortunately,Epson won't/can't  address the issue about the ink drops on the paper-then it has to go back for service.
That being said,my next printer will most definitely be the 3880

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 05:36:40 pm »

Got any better insight ?

No, but that doesn't make your figures more reliable as a result.

This printer is cheaper, smaller and targeted at a different level of consumer - most of whom probably have no knowledge of profiling or have decided they have no need.  I think it's a mistake to compare it to other Pro level printers and expect that you'll see a proportionate fraction through your business.

The cost of custom profiles versus the cost of the underlying hardware, for example, would have an effect, let alone (as mentioned above) the difference in basic customer profile.

I want to repeat that I'm in no way suggesting it shouldn't be discussed or that there shouldn't be any concerns, I'm just suggesting that, as always, it's better not to make assumptions but rather to simply acknowledge where there are holes in our understanding.
Phil Brown

Rhossydd

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 05:54:51 pm »

No, but that doesn't make your figures more reliable as a result.
I'm not claiming any sort of reliability, just some actual numbers. Do you have any experience to add ?
The cost of custom profiles
Less than the price of an ink cart here. Price isn't an problem, awareness of the issue is the key factor.
....versus the cost of the underlying hardware, for example, would have an effect, let alone (as mentioned above) the difference in basic customer profile.
It's a big mistake to think that only users of professional type printers get custom profiles done. It continually surprises me how many people are using very low end printers, but still want custom profiles made.

Farmer

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 07:43:51 pm »

I'm not suggesting that they don't, but that it's not a good metric to compare different models.

My experience is that the product seems to be preferred at the lower end and by home aspirational users, as well as some Pros looking for a smaller unit, but far less.  The level of reports of issues seems no more or less than any other model that is in the view of places like this.

Beyond that, not much, which is why I'm not trying to draw conclusions :-)
Phil Brown

Rhossydd

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 04:41:41 am »

The level of reports of issues seems no more or less than any other model that is in the view of places like this.
As the OP said, that's not really correct. The R3000 has greater number of reported failures than similar Epsons of the past. It also tends to be mechanical failures, rather than just the usual crop of problems with ink blockages that are less easy to blame on poor manufacture.

I've been using photo inkjets since the genre was invented by Epson. I've kept a close watch on reported problems, both out of personal and professional interest. Epson have made some great printers over the years, the R3000 isn't one of them.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up