Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax 645 prices surprisingly high.  (Read 13424 times)

tho_mas

Re: Contax 645 prices surprisingly high.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 04:09:55 pm »

I don't follow used prices, but from time to time go onto KEH which used to have a fairly large supply of contax, though today I think they have one lens, so either the cameras are wearing down, or people just decided to keep theirs and not upgrade to another platform.
in fact this is a bit alarming. here in Germany normally it used to be not a problem to get for instance a mint Planar 2.0/80 for a decent price. But for some time it's really hard to find one (even an overpriced one). The most common lens being sold is the 45mm (which comes to no surprise since it's the weakest link in the Contax line). But right now even this lens is hard to find.
2 years ago it was really hard to find the WLF and the vertical grip. Today you'll find some... at very high prices from professional dealers.
Fortunately here in germany there is still excellent service for the Contax 645 system. So you maybe don't have to buy everything double. However, I am sure happy that I have 2 bodies, 3 finders (2x prism, 1x WLF), 3 battery grips, 2 80mm lenses and several matte screens as backups. I've also once bought the Vario Zoom as a kind of "general" backup (and, well, because it's a nice addition to the system if I would sell it alltogether one day. But I will not sell it... as long as it works, I'll use it. The zoom is a great lens, BTW).

I feel it's getting harder and harder to invest in the Contax system. Unless you can buy a complete kit it will take some time to assemble all the items you need... Some years ago it was much easier.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:13:57 pm by tho_mas »

Theodoros

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 04:17:30 pm »

IMO that was a consequence of Kyocera being a dabbler (by intent) in the photo world. Kinda like how Fuji and Ricoh now are but with even less upper-level commitment/interest. Digital confronted them with the need to get more serious about the whole enterprise, to invest more in R&D...and after a start in that direction they blinked and changed course. Not worth the bother.

-Dave-
Zeiss official position is that Kyocera demanded less QC on the produced lenses to save costs… Only a few know that P1 offered a large amount to Kyocera as to get the rights and remake the C645. Only after the had a denial, they moved to acquire Mamiya. Now, some see in the C645 system, the perfect "bridge" to link Leica and Sinar, since there is no platform for Sinarbacks and C645 lenses are fully compatible with the Leica S on all their functions… I guess the resurrection of C645 is quite possible instead of Leica developing a new MF platform with interchangeable backs so that they will support the sinarbacks and link the two companies (Leica and Sinar) better…

JV

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 09:03:24 pm »

MO is none… However there are people that find the AF "outdated" or they need higher sync speed… I guess it's a matter of needs and compromises… I know people that think of Contax more than Hassy H, but they still got the Hassy (or other) because of the above.

This was my line of thinking as well.  I kept the H1 because of better autofocus and because it was easier to find used backs in H mount.  I later upgraded the H1 to an H2 and then to an H4x.  The sync speed was never an issue for me.  Right now I am guessing the overwhelming majority of the new backs are M mount anyway for use with the DF+ and/or tech cams.  There are probably still more new backs in H mount than in C mount but I expect the difference to be a lot smaller and both quantities to be fairly small.  Perhaps one of the dealers can confirm.

haplo602

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 02:44:08 am »

This was my line of thinking as well.  I kept the H1 because of better autofocus and because it was easier to find used backs in H mount.  I later upgraded the H1 to an H2 and then to an H4x.  The sync speed was never an issue for me.  Right now I am guessing the overwhelming majority of the new backs are M mount anyway for use with the DF+ and/or tech cams.  There are probably still more new backs in H mount than in C mount but I expect the difference to be a lot smaller and both quantities to be fairly small.  Perhaps one of the dealers can confirm.

I briefly tested a Contax 645 (does not fit my hands) and Mamiya 645 DF (same issue). I am still looking for a "portable" semi-automated MF camera to match my RZ. However since I am a film shooter, I'd like it to be able to swap film and digital (the RZ can take any back there is with an adapter). I have no handled an H system camera (no option to do so in my country).

Anyway it seems that the RZ is the best all-round MF system at the moment for both film and digital (however everybody has their own requirements).

Theodoros

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 03:03:50 am »

I briefly tested a Contax 645 (does not fit my hands) and Mamiya 645 DF (same issue). I am still looking for a "portable" semi-automated MF camera to match my RZ. However since I am a film shooter, I'd like it to be able to swap film and digital (the RZ can take any back there is with an adapter). I have no handled an H system camera (no option to do so in my country).

Anyway it seems that the RZ is the best all-round MF system at the moment for both film and digital (however everybody has their own requirements).
Many would argue in favour of the Fuji GX680 instead… It even covers much of view camera use… Additionally, Fuji can take any mount back without any modification of the fit, while RZ can do the same only with V and M645 mount backs, at higher cost too… That's what I use along with my C645… I replaced my Sinar P2 in favour of the fuji for whenever I need movements or high sync speed… It is very handy to just take the C-mount back off the Contax and just attach it on the Fuji… Dirt cheap too and only a dedicated cable needed to turn it into MS capable…

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 03:08:13 am »

My only complaints about using the Contax 645 with MFDB is the problem of the camera automatically going into sleep mode after a few seconds that as far as I know cannot be prevented and has caused me to lose quite a few magic moments, so maybe not the best combo for shooting from the hip, plus the care that needs to be taken with center-weighted focussing when the aperture is wide open so subjects focussed on using the old aim, focus, reframe approach do not end up out of focus that is perhaps partly due to the curverture of the lenses that are designed for film not digital and also partly due to the idiot behind the camera.

Theodoros

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 03:52:06 am »

My only complaints about using the Contax 645 with MFDB is the problem of the camera automatically going into sleep mode after a few seconds that as far as I know cannot be prevented and has caused me to lose quite a few magic moments, so maybe not the best combo for shooting from the hip, plus the care that needs to be taken with center-weighted focussing when the aperture is wide open so subjects focussed on using the old aim, focus, reframe approach do not end up out of focus that is perhaps partly due to the curverture of the lenses that are designed for film not digital and also partly due to the idiot behind the camera.
I've find good practice to use the camera in MF mode and use either the thumb button to focus automatically, or focus for max contrast manually when there is a risk from reframing, I don't find particular field curvature issues with any of the lenses, sometimes re-framming causes different positioning of the image area… especially in hand hold situations. Besides, focusing accuracy of the C645 is not the best around….

haplo602

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 09:25:03 am »

Many would argue in favour of the Fuji GX680 instead… It even covers much of view camera use… Additionally, Fuji can take any mount back without any modification of the fit, while RZ can do the same only with V and M645 mount backs, at higher cost too… That's what I use along with my C645… I replaced my Sinar P2 in favour of the fuji for whenever I need movements or high sync speed… It is very handy to just take the C-mount back off the Contax and just attach it on the Fuji… Dirt cheap too and only a dedicated cable needed to turn it into MS capable…

Last time I checked, Leaf offers adapters from H/C/V/M to RZ for their backs (I don't see an issue why they should not work with other backs since those are just metal plates).

I considered the GX680 also, but it is above my size/portability threshold (RZ just fits in).

Theodoros

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 12:48:51 pm »

Still surprises me, that Leica S adapter didn't immediately influenced C645 prices as it did with Hasselblad H bodies, ….also, because of the "S" adapter, prices of lenses should come up since they can now be bought by Leica S users too and function as been dedicated to it. It seems that there is much more "resistance" with Contax than the one of Hasselblad H system….. I expect that to change, (i.e. bodies to come down in price and lenses to rise considerably), but certainly this isn't the case yet… although I know that many Leica S users are buying the lenses.

bcooter

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 05:15:03 pm »

Still surprises me, that Leica S adapter didn't immediately influenced C645 prices as it did with Hasselblad H bodies, ….also, because of the "S" adapter, prices of lenses should come up since they can now be bought by Leica S users too and function as been dedicated to it. It seems that there is much more "resistance" with Contax than the one of Hasselblad H system….. I expect that to change, (i.e. bodies to come down in price and lenses to rise considerably), but certainly this isn't the case yet… although I know that many Leica S users are buying the lenses.

There are probably more contax lenses sold than we now about, because there are so few contax lenses for sale used and two years ago I could find any lens with very little searching.

They're a perfect fit for the Leica S(2).   

I just bought the 120mm Leica 2.5 and was curious to see how well it focused on the S next to the Contax lenses and not a knock on leica glass, but I don't think it focuses as fast an accurate as the Contax lenses.

I can see where the H lenses would be in demand for this camera given the leaf shutter and Hasselblad has some interesting lenses, though I don't think they throw focus as pretty as the Leica and Contax, but that's  subjective.

Regardless, the S is the only larger than 25m camera that takes multiple autofocus lenses that function as well on the Leica body as they do in their native systems.

Leica has always been a strange company.   Their prices are high, the hold to their brand and don't seem inclined to drop down lower just for the ability to gain some market share.

I don't know how well the S and S2 sell, but I know I'm glad I bought it and it's such a nice piece of equipment to use.

It's not perfect, but it shoots a pretty file.

Though when it comes to costs, here's what makes even the cinema guys eyes pop when it comes to costs.

These C's sell for $100,000, to $128,000 for the set.

IMO

BC

JV

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 11:26:48 am »

That is clearly more than expected if 22mp MFDB prices is taken into account.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contax-645-kit-with-PhaseOne-P25-digital-bag-/271401131897?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=SShfe1KP%252BxxWtwkYHZGmve51%252BYs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This is actually not that high I find.

A Contax 645 kit tends to go for just short of $3k.  So add $4-5K for a P25+ digital back, an extra body and 2 additional lenses.

If the material is all in good shape this is probably below current market prices IMO.

Theodoros

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 12:34:58 pm »

This is actually not that high I find.

A Contax 645 kit tends to go for just short of $3k.  So add $4-5K for a P25+ digital back, an extra body and 2 additional lenses.

If the material is all in good shape this is probably below current market prices IMO.
It could be near the right price if one would sell things separately… but as a system, it is way too high. It simply is very difficult for the purchaser not to already have the lenses included, or any body at all… which leaves only some that want to do a "new" Contax entry into digital with a complete system and back up body… rare isn't it? It rather seems to me that P25+ is considered an excellent choice and that people prefer to "risk" having additional equipment (which they could buy "live" S/H at the same price - but have it checked) and sell it again. Just "forced" to make the move to get the back… I may be wrong, but it looks the most sensible explanation to me.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up