Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palm f11  (Read 980 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Palm f11
« on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:10 am »

Was it worth being in focus?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Palm f11
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:40:36 am »

I think this is an interesting subject. And I understand your struggle with the DOF issues. f/22 would help some and we'd not be able to see the diffraction here on a reduced jpeg. This is a shot that might be amenable to focus stacking, no?

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:40:37 am »

I think this is an interesting subject. And I understand your struggle with the DOF issues. f/22 would help some and we'd not be able to see the diffraction here on a reduced jpeg. This is a shot that might be amenable to focus stacking, no?

Focus stacking sounds good, though I have more interest than capability there.  The attached is a 100% blow up of the center.  Reduced jpegs are my main product, but someday ...  This image does have differential focus.  The left third is focused closer than the right two-thirds.  This is a two frame hand held pano.  Shooting this stopped down [f11] would be difficult in the lower light of the previous "Palm" post.  The two foot long stiff and spiky frons which radiate densely from this place make holding the camera at arms length more practical than a tripod.  My neighbor would notice if I cut them off.  I tried some shots a f16 of it, but they looked soft and flat to me.  I am still getting used to this camera...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:47:40 am by Bruce Cox »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:52:41 am »

Focus stacking sounds good, though I have more interest than capability there
A tripod would be essential. Have you tried CamRanger? I find the details fascinating, but with this it quickly turns into an alien landscape!
:)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:49:47 pm »

A tripod would be essential. Have you tried CamRanger? I find the details fascinating, but with this it quickly turns into an alien landscape!
:)

Yes, it's common but alien.  However, given better macro in cell phones the mind's eye of the future may see things differently.

Modified 2/11/2014 by the removal of copy which featured a small edit of Stamper's Dad [right side up].
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:58:08 am by Bruce Cox »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:06:59 pm »

I intended no mockery of Stamper's dad or the image from which it came.  I meant to commit on my image's need for something like "the hand of man", because my image [from people's non-commits] seemed to lack sufficient metaphorical resonance.

I know, I could have just said so, but I'm a visual kind of guy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:14:33 pm by Bruce Cox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up