Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4000K - What benefits will this technology likely provide to still photography  (Read 9486 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I generally post my images at largest possible size. I want to present them as well as I can. But I am not commercial. But I would not be that much concerned about images stolen, anyway. Those who steal images would do it anyway.

Best regards
Erik

I would use larger files to display on a home 4K HDTV and continue to use smaller files on websites.  I don't see this as a problem for most people.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

What I mean is that those who steal images wouldn't pay for them anyway. If they cannot steal my images, they just steal someone else images.

Best regards
Erik

And that my friend makes you part of the problem.

;-(
Erik Kaffehr

Telecaster

I think 4k tv monitors is a hail mary pass, from Sony and Panasonic, trying to find ways to get back to profitability in tv.

Samys on Fairfax has a 4k sony monitor always playing some soccer (uh . . . football) game in 4k and it's ok, always looks over sharpened and very video, put I'm sure that's the source material.

I mean 4k is fine with me, though honestly I'd rather see more depth and beauty than detail.

To get my $$ 4k will need to be done right, with proper attention paid to color gamut, bit depth, profiling ability, compression schemes, etc. But like Alan I'm hoping it does get done right. I'm basically looking for a substitute printer, not as a complete replacement for printing but as a legitimate electronic alternative.

-Dave-

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Another thing to consider is that the camera manufacturers are already adding 4K to their movie functions both on dedicated movie cameras as well as on still cameras.  So the push to replace equipment to handle 4K will come from many directions.  Blu Ray disks of commercial Hollywood films, home movies, still cameras slide shows, internet providers, TV shows, TV manufacturers, etc. 

I suppose it's called "progress".  Hey.  You don't want to fall behind the times.  Anyway, you really didn't need that extra money , did ya?  And then when you finally get all your equipment updated to 4K, they'll  release 8K.

thegman

Will make no difference to me, I prefer a print as a final output. So the benefit will be if, as said above working with 8MP is better than with 2MP. As of course that's still far, far small than a 6x7 or 4x5 scan, or indeed most digital cameras these days, the difference is a bit 'meh' to me.

Like most 'innovations' at the moment, it's more about selling things than improving the state of the art.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up