Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On my way home this evening  (Read 2102 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
On my way home this evening
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:35:32 pm »

Many around here will disagree with me, but from my perspective (that of an artist), we are having one of the most beautiful winters in memory here in southern Ontario. Beautiful snow renewed every few days and punctuated with sunny (albeit cold) days. If one is stuck in the city looking at increasingly grey piles of snow and slush, it's drudgery, but for those of us whose travels take us out of the city, winter is truly glorious.

I am truly blessed to be teaching at a small independent school out in the countryside near Waterloo. This back road, which gets little travel, takes me past this wonderful 'scape everyday at just about the right time. The trouble now is which of the three formats "work" best? I like all three... How about you?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Tony Jay

Re: On my way home this evening
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:58:12 pm »

They are all good Terry.
Perhaps #1 and #2 are better compositions than #3 but I will be interested to know what others think.

Tony Jay

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:03:39 pm »

#2 "lets the sky in". Nice.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 11:00:53 pm »

I have a predilection for verticals, but in this case I vote for the square. 

I share your love of winter for photography.  It's a Canadian thing, I guess.  Snow is such an excellent canvas for light to work with.

aduke

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:09:36 pm »

I like #1. I have a prejudice for square, but the light on the snow is better, the tree has some sky to breath in and there are strong leading lines to the tree.

I like this a lot. Even though I get little opportunity to take photos in and of snow, I still like to look at them.

Alan

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:14:35 pm »

I'll go with the square composition.  The scene makes me wish I was in Iceland right now. Or Ontario.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 12:09:12 am »

They are all very fine, but I, too, choose the square as my first choice.
In all of them you caught the right moment for the light. Lovely shots!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 02:59:22 am »

The third one expresses better the Genius Loci, which is surely horizontal.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 05:39:14 am »

The problem with the landscape shot is, that it doesn't have this nice patch of light in the middle - at least not as well developed.
Leaving the vertical and the square I'd go for the square, though I generally like landscape orientation for its calm and resting aspect.
Cheers
~Chris

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 09:06:44 am »

It's all about the light, Terry, and as several people have said, the square is the one with the light. It wins.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »

BTW, did I mention these were made with my iPad Air and processed in iPhoto for iPad?

They are a bit noisy, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of this dinky little camera and the ease with which post-processing is done. Sure it's not my D800E, primes and Lightroom, but it does a darn good job.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Tony Hubcaps

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 07:39:57 pm »

It's an interesting question...
I'm sure we've all been there, with the light (and cloud) changing as we ponder.

To me the key difficulty is the incursion of bright light from the right corner.

i1, the square, is lovely, but if only the cloud top right wasn't so square, and if only
the lines in the sky weren't so horizontal... if the light seemed to be streaming INTO
the picture more transcendence might surely have occurred!

How do you feel about cloning things out of their miserable existence?  For me, that
brightly lit head far right (still i1) just has to go - I can't look at it.  Sometimes these
things have to be done, one way or another.

I'm not sure I prefer it (i2) overall, but it's interesting to observe how the diagonals coming
in from top right work to mediate this problem (as I claim it to be) of the light from the
side.

Again, the light is streaming in from top right.  Highlights in the bottom right corner only
serve to distract the eye.  Get rid of them and the (unfortunately fading) highlight on the
edge of the snow main centre starts to shine a bit more.  Generally there is a gentle
'criss-crossing' of diagonals in i2 that gives it an edge.

For reasons that come out of the stuff I say above, personally I think i3 would have been
the clear winner - but it would have needed more sky above (without sacrificing the lower
edge!) to round out the image and finish off some of the suggested rhythms.

Oh! getting all the necessary elements into one image!

As I say, I think it's an interesting scenario - I find the 'negotiation' of compositional elements
in this kind of situation fascinating.  I hope I havn't offended your lovely image.

TH
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:44:15 pm by Tony Hubcaps »

Michael Haspert

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 08:41:30 pm »

I like the square and part of why I like it is the bit of light at the bottom. If vertical format could be less cropped to include that light I might like it better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up