Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Back?  (Read 1507 times)

Ian Alfano

Digital Back?
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:08:36 pm »

Hi All,

I am new to this message board and I have a question about medium format digital backs.

First a quick background; I work at a university as a videographer/photographer.  For photography I shoot full frame DSLR cameras.  I have always been interested in medium format photography but its way too expensive for me at this time.  I also know very little about their functionality since I have never used or even held one.  Well, I just recently found out our graphics department has an old Hasselblad H1!

The digital back the graphics department has for the H1 is a mamiya leaf which requires software on a computer and it has to be tethered to the computer.  We do not have the software anymore so the camera has just been collecting dust since it cannot be used.  I may be able to get them to buy a new digital back though (within reason, considering price), especially since I am not the only one interested in using this camera.

I did a little bit of research and it seems phase one and mamiya leaf are the two companies especially out there.  The Phase One p30+ (not made anymore I believe?) and the p40+ seem like good options considering price...but are these the best options?  Is it possible to purchase these older models?  Is there others I should also take into consideration?  Is there other information I should know about?  The options I mentioned above can use CF cards, correct (it was hard to find a lot of information on that)?  They are compatible with the H1 even though the H1 is over ten years old, right ("H" mount)?

Like I said, I am a MF newbie so any and all information is welcome!

Thanks,

Ian

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: Digital Back?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:27:35 pm »

I'm a MF newbie as well, and you'll get a lot more info from others, but yes the Phase models you mentioned take CF cards, and can be had used, via eBay or via one of the large US dealers (https://captureintegration.com/store/ and Digital Transitions) (or here, from the Used Gear section, which is where I got mine).

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:48:01 pm »

Hi All,

I am new to this message board and I have a question about medium format digital backs.

First a quick background; I work at a university as a videographer/photographer.  For photography I shoot full frame DSLR cameras.  I have always been interested in medium format photography but its way too expensive for me at this time.  I also know very little about their functionality since I have never used or even held one.  Well, I just recently found out our graphics department has an old Hasselblad H1!

The digital back the graphics department has for the H1 is a mamiya leaf which requires software on a computer and it has to be tethered to the computer.  We do not have the software anymore so the camera has just been collecting dust since it cannot be used.  I may be able to get them to buy a new digital back though (within reason, considering price), especially since I am not the only one interested in using this camera.

I did a little bit of research and it seems phase one and mamiya leaf are the two companies especially out there.  The Phase One p30+ (not made anymore I believe?) and the p40+ seem like good options considering price...but are these the best options?  Is it possible to purchase these older models?  Is there others I should also take into consideration?  Is there other information I should know about?  The options I mentioned above can use CF cards, correct (it was hard to find a lot of information on that)?  They are compatible with the H1 even though the H1 is over ten years old, right ("H" mount)?

Like I said, I am a MF newbie so any and all information is welcome!

Thanks,

Ian
What is the model of this Mamiya/leaf you mention, that is only tethered and with discontinued software? …I'm not aware of such a back existing, the last tethered only backs were Leaf only (not Mamyia/leaf) and it was the "valeo" series, which can be turned to self contained using external hard drive (not difficult or pricey to find S/H) and the files can be developed by loading the dedicated developer on a cheap computer, or can be "turned" to DNGs and be developed in LR or ACR...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:02:33 pm by T.Dascalos »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:50:01 pm »

Helping people who are only generally/vaguely familiar with digital backs learn about the range of options they have, and the pros, cons, and costs of each is literally most of my job. I do it every day and would be glad to help. Feel free to shoot me an email or call.

There is a decent chance you can do something useful with your existing back with the right software and/or accessories. It can also be used as a trade-in towards a newer back.

You can find some good information (and some bad information - it is the internet after all) in the past forum posts here and on getdpi.com, and also meet other photographers in your area that shoot medium format. Most are pretty friendly folks more than happy to share their experiences and opinions.

If you want more specific advice on this thread I suggest you give us as much information as possible about what your needs and wants are, and your general budget range. Information like what kinds of things you shoot, what cameras you use now and what you love and hate about those cameras, what your level of experience is in Lightroom, Capture One, and Phocus, and what your technical needs are (do you need higher ISO? do you need fast shooting? do you need long exposures? etc).

It can feel a bit overwhelming, but it's really not. There are few bad options, as long as you have some reasonable budget (medium format can be very hard and limiting at the very low end). As one example the very modern Credo 40 (USB3/FW800/retina-touch-screen/dalsa sensor) is on promo right now starting at $12,995 (Credo 40 promo). I don't think that kit is right for you since you already have an H platform to take advantage of, but it's a good example of the very capable systems you can get nowadays at the 10-20k price point (there are also, obviously very very good options at the 30-40k price point but my point is you don't have to get that high before the systems are really very good).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:51:56 pm by Doug Peterson »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:25:32 pm »

it kind of depends which leaf you have. It might be a C-Most or Valeo. Both can be used with Leaf Capture which you could probably download via Leaf.  Both backs still produce lovely files. A Valeo will give your dslr a run for its money (under the right circumstances).

Ian Alfano

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:57:39 am »

Sorry, it is actually only a Leaf.  It is a Valeo 17wi.  I got confused when looking it up and I only saw the two names together so I did not realize they were once separate companies.

So you are saying there is a way to turn this Valeo into an untethered camera with an external hard-drive attached to it?  Where would I got to learn how to set it up this way?

Ian Alfano

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:18:43 pm »

If there is a way to use what we already have that would probably be the best option for us.  It being a university I know they have money to spend, but I dont know how much they would let us spend on a digital back to be honest.  They may let us spend 10k or they may not.  It is hard to tell with them, and since they know nothing about the value of a MF camera, I do not know if they would think it would be worth the money.

I currently shoot with a Nikon D600 and a Canon 5D Mark II.  What I like to and usually shoot is portrait, landscape, time-lapse, and I have been getting into astro-photography a little bit.  High ISO is not an necessity for me, but long exposure would be great (waterfalls, rivers, etc.).  I am also trying to break into fine art/portrait type photos.  I often use off-camera flashes and/or continuous lights for portrait shoots.  I love controlling and shaping light in photos when possible.

I dont know exactly what I am looking for in a MF camera yet since it was a happy accident finding out we had one towards the end of last week, but I imagine it would be the same type of stuff the I like shooting now.  If I am not mistaken MF is especially useful for portrait and landscape shooting.

Thanks for all this great information guys!!

Theodoros

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 12:40:12 pm »

Sorry, it is actually only a Leaf.  It is a Valeo 17wi.  I got confused when looking it up and I only saw the two names together so I did not realize they were once separate companies.

So you are saying there is a way to turn this Valeo into an untethered camera with an external hard-drive attached to it?  Where would I got to learn how to set it up this way?
Leaf has a device called the "portable solution", which includes a case (which can be attached bellow the camera), batteries and hard disk (usually 20g), which is connected to valeo backs via a short FW cable and turns the system into "self contained"… such a device is sold here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leaf-Portable-Power-Solution-20GB-f-Aptus-17-22-65-75-or-Veleo-17-22-Demo-/400530258900?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item5d4176bbd4 although I've seen much cheaper than this….

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 01:14:13 pm »

I find the Valeo one of the nicest backs to use. Using it tethered is a dream. Rock solid and lovely files. You need to get something like Leaf capture, start the software and hookup the back via Firewire. Operation should be pretty self explanatory.

With the Leaf Portable solution you can use it untethered, basically a HDD in a casing with firewire. File preview could be seen at a PDA. I have used this combination without a PDA which made me feel like actually using film again :)

For untethered operation it is not the nicest solution but for tethered work it is very nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up