Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Leicia M240 vs Fuji X  (Read 32901 times)

telyt

Re: Leicia M240 vs Fuji X
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 10:09:12 am »

It has somewhat changed with the EVFs now - but use a 300mm equivalent tele without OIS ...

My #1 setup is a 280mm on a 1.37x crop camera, for a field of view equivalent to 383.6mm.  No OIS, no problem if you learn a little technique.

JV

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 10:54:27 pm »

Joris, I think the best way to answer you is if I give you my feelings about the M9 first. I use it primarily as a walk-around camera and as such it is a joy. As I said in an earlier post, solidity combined with absolute simplicity. Truth is I fell in love with the rangefinder and I can honestly say I’ve never enjoyed using a camera more. Sure, critical framing can be a problem but for this use it’s simply not an issue.

That is pretty much also how I use my M9.  I took it with me to the desert around Las Vegas recently, drove around there for around a week and only took pictures with my M9.  As a walk around camera it is excellent.  Back to the basics, enjoying the simplicity and the pure joy of photography.

I am new to Leica and I am not comfortable yet with shooting people.  I use my Fuji or MFD gear for that .  I might actually never get really comfortable with it either.  Not sure yet.  I worked with rangefinders before (mainly Polaroid packfilm cameras like the Fuji FP-1) and although I always liked them I never got really fast with focusing them.  Perhaps if I were to use the M9 as my only camera for a long time...

For some reason on this forum there seems to be more resistance to the M240 than on other forums.  Not sure why.  I think I might get one at some point in time.  Not in a hurry though.

EinstStein

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 01:37:38 am »

If you are comparing Leica M with Fuji and if you like Fuji, you should choose Sony A7/A7R.
But none of them has the uniqueness of the real Leica M.

Telecaster

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 03:13:59 pm »

If you are comparing Leica M with Fuji and if you like Fuji, you should choose Sony A7/A7R.
But none of them has the uniqueness of the real Leica M.

The A7(r) is a small SLR-style camera. The Fujis feel more like rangefinders due to the VF placement. But focusing is where a true RF camera stands out (or falls down, if you don't like the RF method). Leicas have the best RFs around, IMO, and the M240's is their best version yet. I just wish the $&@! EVF allowed you to move the magnified focus point around in the frame. If they'd got that right my photo $$ allocation over the past year likely would've been very different.

-Dave-

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 02:09:49 pm »

Focus tabs are the most brilliant thing about Leica lenses. I installed them on those Leica lenses that don't have them.

If you practice a bit, you can get to 90% focus accuracy just by muscle memory without even looking. The final 10% (or rather 6-9%) are achived by the rangefinder.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

allegretto

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 08:43:54 am »

Focus tabs are the most brilliant thing about Leica lenses. I installed them on those Leica lenses that don't have them.

If you practice a bit, you can get to 90% focus accuracy just by muscle memory without even looking. The final 10% (or rather 6-9%) are achived by the rangefinder.

where did you get the one you use?

JV

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:05 am »

Just a thought, are you using lenses with focus tabs? Makes all the difference.

Not using lenses with focus tabs and not familiar with focus tabs either.  How do they make the difference?

where did you get the one you use?

I have seen custom ones being sold on eBay already, not sure where else you would get them...

Telecaster

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 05:30:14 pm »

Not using lenses with focus tabs and not familiar with focus tabs either.  How do they make the difference?

Say you're an urban ("street") photographer who has found that zone focusing at 2 meters with a 35mm lens at f/8 is often sufficient for a sharp result (given your prefered subject matter). Once you've internalized where your lens' focus tab is located with the focus at 2m you can focus at that point, or close enough to it, by feel very quickly. So you can focus accurately when possible and yet be able to react fast when needed.

-Dave-

JV

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 08:25:24 pm »

Thanks Keith and Dave!

I am about to invest in a few Leica lenses.  So far I haven't done so because I first wanted to make sure I like the camera.

Hopefully these tabs help with faster focusing.

allegretto

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 12:32:30 am »

funny, was thinking of just using a strip tie, and sure enough that's what someone used

the idea of glueing something to a Leica lens gives me shivers

going to try the strip tie.

telyt

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »

Generally speaking investment and lens buying are mutually exclusive.

Technically any lens is an investment if it's used to produce income, but the word has been corrupted by marketing 'geniuses' hoping to convince hobbyists that their purchase is somehow better than spending money.

pluton

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 02:06:19 am »

I have Nikon 24x36 plus a Fuji X now, have owned and used film Leica M's in the past. 
The Fuji(in my case, an XE1) is, to me, a fancied-up point-and-shoot where you can set the exposure and focus and change lenses.  I've got the 21 and 35 equivalent lenses, and may not buy more.
It's clear that no one has a solution to the freeze/blackout problem in the EVFs.  The blackout time on the newest, fastest Fuji XT1 seems about three times as long as on a Nikon DSLR.
I wish Leica would make their rangefinder more useable to eyeglass wearers.  Right now it useless wider than a 50mm for me.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 08:22:05 am »

Personally I've never cared for the focus tabs. Although the majority of my M lenses have it, for me, they just get in the way - especially when shooting in the vertical position.

xrogers

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »

Another point on tabbed lenses---at least for the lenses I've used (21, 28, 35, 50), the tab position is consistent across focal lengths and focus distance.  You can focus by feel to some distance by putting the tab in the same position.  It's easy to memorize a couple of handy distances/positions, and then use them for all your lenses.  I like tabs very much.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 03:10:56 pm »

Another point on tabbed lenses---at least for the lenses I've used (21, 28, 35, 50), the tab position is consistent across focal lengths and focus distance.  You can focus by feel to some distance by putting the tab in the same position.  It's easy to memorize a couple of handy distances/positions, and then use them for all your lenses.  I like tabs very much.

Yes this is what they are for. Discreet shooting on the street or doc work by feel alone. Landscapers need not apply.

Telecaster

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 03:12:56 pm »

I like the way Zeiss has implemented tabs on their ZM lenses. They're bumps in the ribbed focus rings. This is one reason why I've been favoring the ZMs on my M6 and more recently new/old M8s. The 21 & 28mm f/2.8 ZMs also have a 46mm filter thread, which matches my most versatile set of IR filters. (IR pass, that is...I don't use the infamous IR blocking filters.)

-Dave-

barnack

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 12:17:59 pm »

Thanks Keith and Dave!

I am about to invest in a few Leica lenses.  So far I haven't done so because I first wanted to make sure I like the camera.

Hopefully these tabs help with faster focusing.

If you have used film Leica M cameras, the M240 is a tiny bit larger but it is still a Leica M.  I shot with an MP and an M4-P for 10+ years before I got the M240.  I have not found anything to complain about with the M240 so far.  When I was doing my research before buying, I looked really hard to find an alternative to the undeniably costly M240 that would let me use my Leica M lenses and would be a full frame camera.  Every camera I looked at was in one way or another a compromise.  I did not want a "settle for" camera so I traded in my Leica MP body and a bunch of Nikon gear to get the M240. 

After using it for about six weeks, I would not part with the M240 for love or money. 

Regarding Leica M gear as "investments," any film M camera or lens that is taken care of will hold its value.  I shot with my MP for 10+ years and got the same amount of trade-in credit from it as I paid for it when I bought it new.  A digital camera will probably not retain 100% of its original cost, but film Leicas will as will M lenses, if they are well cared for.
'Shooting with a Leica is like a long tender kiss, like firing an automatic pistol, like an hour on the analyst’s couch."             - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2014, 02:30:48 pm »

I think the Fuji is a good value for the money, but I have not used the Leica as I do not care to invest that much money. There are plenty of opinions here and elsewhere. The best thing is rent similar setups, try them out and see what works for you. Opinions on forums are just that opinions, you are the only one who can decide what works best for you.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

EgillBjarki

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:50 pm »

I have two years of experience with Fuji X100, few months with Fuji X-E2 along with XF14,23,35 and 56mm. Not had the chance to handle the M240 yet. As far as Fuji goes, very good value for the money and very good results, all the lenses are very good!

Manoli

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2014, 12:24:05 pm »

I use both the Fuji X-E2, the A7r, and the Leica M8 - so I'm not biased but , this time at least , Diglloyd got it right, IMO. http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014-index-5.html#20140520_2250-EVF-resolution
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up