Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Leicia M240 vs Fuji X  (Read 32900 times)

Iluvmycam

Leicia M240 vs Fuji X
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:59:47 pm »

Does anyone own both cams?

Does the Leica give enough IQ boost to be worth at least some of the increase in cost over the Fuji X?

I've looked all over the net and can't find any good reports between the 2 cams. I want to know if you will see a big difference in a 13 x 19 print between a Leica M240 and a Fuji X.

Thanks

Telecaster

Re: Leicia M240 vs Fuji X
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:55 pm »

I want to know if you will see a big difference in a 13 x 19 print between a Leica M240 and a Fuji X.

No, you won't see a big difference (assuming you use good lenses on both cameras). Whatever difference you may see is more likely to be tonal than spatial. I like the Fuji look, both from JPEGs and well-converted RAWs. The M240 look I'm still ambivalent about. My friend Bruce refers to it as "M9 with Auto-Tune." By this he means it's pretty, approaching immaculate even, but lacking in character. I wouldn't go that far but I do prefer the M9 look. The M240 does print very well at larger sizes. I've seen some lovely 60x40" fine detail prints from it. Don't know how a Fuji X would do in comparison...and no real-world interest in finding out.

I'd focus my attention more on handling, specifically focusing using a rangefinder vs. an EVF. Or, more broadly, manual focusing vs. AF. You can use an EVF on the Leica, of course, though IMO this doesn't work as well as it ought to. But if you like rangefinders (I do) using the Leica is a pleasure.

Note: I own an X-E1. I don't own an M240 but I have easy access to one.

-Dave-

slackercruster

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:42:22 pm »

Thanks Dave.

EinstStein

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:23:43 pm »

I don't have extensive comparison between Fuji and Leica M, but there are a lot of comparisons between Sony A7/A7R to Leica M.
The differences are dramatic, with the same Leica M lenses of course. In general it is not recommended to use lenses cross the system.
When each uses its own native lens, you get typical Leica M rendering vs. Sony rendering, which one is preferred is subjective.

Between Sony A7/A7R and Fuji X?  Not meant to start another endless debate, but you should find a lot more preference towards A7/A7R.

The bottom line is, you should ask yourself, is Fuji X good enough for YOU and if YOU are willing to pay the price difference? If you are not sure, usually the answer is very clear.

JV

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:33:52 pm »

I don't own the Leica M240 but I do own the Leica M9 and the Fuji X-Pro1.

The Leica M9 is a wonderful camera for the pure joy of photography.  It makes you want to pick it up and take pictures.

Is it better than the Fuji X-Pro1?  No, it isn't.  IMO you will be hard-pressed to justify the additional cost of the Leica M240 if that is what you are trying to do.

EinstStein

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:22:59 pm »

Comparing any two things can be very subjective. It's particularly hard when talking about Leica M.

Check out the web forums, such as dpreview.com, pick up "Leica" forum and "Fuji" forum for example. An interesting observation is, the Fuji owners are busy in comparing Fuji with Leica, while Leica owners are busy in taking the pictures.

Ask people who have both systems, see how many regret for buying the Leica M, for that much more of money.

JV

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »

An interesting observation is, the Fuji owners are busy in comparing Fuji with Leica, while Leica owners are busy in taking the pictures.

Especially the Leica cameras owned by collectors…  No offense but this is BS…

Ask people who have both systems, see how many regret for buying the Leica M, for that much more of money.

That is an entirely different thing.  IMO though the Fuji (and other cameras like the E-M1 and the A7/A7r) will give you a lot more value for money if that is what you are looking for.

EinstStein

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:54:17 am »

Especially the Leica cameras owned by collectors…  No offense but this is BS…
That is an entirely different thing.  IMO though the Fuji (and other cameras like the E-M1 and the A7/A7r) will give you a lot more value for money if that is what you are looking for.

Many friends I know who own Leica M also own either Canon FF or Nikon FF. Good complement for making fun and making money. Fuji X still has a lot ground to catch up.

Manoli

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:51 am »

Every time I pick up a Fuji X I'm thankful I bought Leica.

In terms of construction, think Volkswagen v Maybach (Mercedes)
In terms of output quality, think High ISO v Base ISO
In terms of sensor, think CMOS v CCD (M9, M-E)
In terms of versatility, think FujiFilm X

I use both.

JV

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 06:57:39 am »

They are obviously different cameras in terms of usability and handling and I love both of them.

But, to go back to the question of the OP, does the Leica give enough of an IQ boost to justify the increase in cost over the Fuji the answer is probably no IMO.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:05 am »

If the price is the issue you have your answer. All the gear I own or have owned was what I could afford at the time. I would spends lots time learning every bit i could about my gear. I always ended up enjoying and loving my gear for what it can do. Or maybe it's more what I can do with what i have.

Peter

MrSmith

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 08:57:57 am »

A £5k camera plus £2k per lens isn't going to make you a better photographer and i doubt there would be significant visible differences at the size you want to print at.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 01:04:04 pm »

I should add, if the OP wants a rangefinder, buy the Leica.

If the OP wants a rangefinder get a Mamiya 7 and a scanner for less money and smoke Leica ... ;)
Cheers
~Chris

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »

Forget the pesky film and scanner, add a digital back and you've got a deal.

Actually I heared a rumor about someone modding a Mamiya 7 once, but never found the proof.

JV

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »

I have a Leica M9 and M240.

How does the M240 compare to the M9 for you? Do you have a preference?  Thanks, Joris.

EinstStein

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 12:05:12 am »

Forget about M7. It's focusing has never been accurate.
Yes, I'm talking about film. For digital? you bet.

EinstStein

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 12:13:31 am »

If price is an issue, forget Fuji, go for Sony A7 or A7R.
Fuji is done, no future.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:13:05 am »

Leica is the only camera maker who understands what you need for manual photography. They truly suck for any automation. Unfortunately that lowers the keeper rate, but greatly enhances the pleasure of having it nailed.

The Fuji probably yields a higher success rate due to good AF, great exposure and decent WB, but I am still looking for greatness, which I am getting with the Leica, though rarely, but then worth it.

The Sony A7r might be technically superior, but using it is no joy. there's no magic.

If you look for best quality go Sony.
If you look for highest pleasure in photography go Leica
If you look for most reliable tool, go Fuji.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:03:14 am »

I don't miss anything with the Fuji X E-2 I recently got.
Leica is a nice camera - I once shot an M7 loaner and it was fun, but:
- No Autofocus
- No long telephoto or usable macro options
- No OIS
These are all features I don't want to miss anymore.

The Sony A7R: Most overrated camera ever ...

Cheers
~Chris

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 08:59:28 am »

Are you sure? I described one eminently usable macro option in the post above and that's just one of many. Same with longer lenses. There are so many adapters and options out there.

It has somewhat changed with the EVFs now - but use a 300mm equivalent tele without OIS ...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up