Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji Frontier laser print  (Read 1933 times)

Dynszis

Fuji Frontier laser print
« on: February 06, 2014, 07:48:38 am »

Hello all,

I have gotten some disappointing results from a lab, and I hope for comments from people more knowledgeable than myself.

The lab requested 300dpi resolution, so I submitted TIFs with 2100x1500 pixels for 7x5" prints. As you can see, the printout shows significant moire not present in the original file.

Customer support told me that moire like this would be unavoidable, just like it is with offest prints  ???

Unfortunately I am no expert, but I suspect their Fuji Frontier is either broken or badly needs maintenance. What do you think?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Fuji Frontier laser print
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:02:32 am »

Hello all,

I have gotten some disappointing results from a lab, and I hope for comments from people more knowledgeable than myself.

The lab requested 300dpi resolution, so I submitted TIFs with 2100x1500 pixels for 7x5" prints. As you can see, the printout shows significant moire not present in the original file.

Hi,

The printer operator has a choice to print with fitting or filling the image area. I usually specify to print as delivered, no resizing, no sharpening, no optimizations.

Customer support told me that moire like this would be unavoidable, just like it is with offest prints  ???

Well, not exactly true because it's a different process, but the alignment of the lasers is not always optimal. When you print a test pattern that relies on a pixel perfect alignment, especially such a bi-tonal pattern, you will probably be disappointed.

I've had my Star and Slanted edge target printed on a Frontier, but the finest detail was slightly misaligned as well. Of course such a Star target also allows to shoot from a larger distance, and still be usable although it will show the printing defects when inspected up close (despite the anti-aliased target pattern).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:49:01 am »

The bit about them being just like an offset printer is kind of bogus. But any printer can, given the 'proper' file produce a moiré.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:41 pm »

The printer operator has a choice to print with fitting or filling the image area. I usually specify to print as delivered, no resizing, no sharpening, no optimizations.

That's right! And the default settings are to fill with a bleed so there aren't any white lines around the edges. A small portion along the outsides of your images are being cropped off. Sharpening is usually used and 200 dpi is also common. Depending on what workflow software they're using your files are likely being reserved as a JPEG after the adjustments are being made.

So your file was messed with and that's why you got moires. 99.99% of the files they get NEED to be messed with in this way so you need to communicate with them if you need something different. Can we ask what you're trying to accomplish?

And I'd call that a silver halide print - not a 'laser print' which refers to dry toner prating.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 02:56:03 pm »

Some good points from Scott and Bart.  How is the file submitted? Almost every file submitted for this type of processed is resized and the saved again (another jpeg compression). If you submit a file to exact resolution it will print at the correct size, but it will be slightly uprezzed so it can “bleed”.  This is how they can make borderless prints (not unlike any other printing process out there). 

Most of these printers can handle the file in it’s original resolution their software can resize it to the final size. So if you send the original size you end up only getting it resized one time in the process, not once by you and once by the printer.

So it depends on what process the lab uses and how the file is submitted. In our Chromira we have hot folders for each size, and if someone sends a file we drop it into the appropriate folder, and the printer handles the resize - we don’t load it up on a machine, resize it, and then submit that (something which some small labs do).  We also accept orders through ROES, where the original file is sent as well as instructions as to what to do with that file.

While submitting exact size files rarely presents any problems we have seen some rare odd banding that is resolved by sending the original file at it’s original resolution.

Another problem is if the jpeg quality level is set low.  for high quality work be save and jpeg to the maximum quality level.

Dynszis

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 04:10:29 pm »

Thanks guys, I really did not see the forest for the trees!

At first I suspected that Red and Green are produced with different spatial frequencies, but now I believe Scott Martin really hit the nail on the head: The file has been uprezzed, and that's why the print got ruined.

I verified that by checking once again the 1200dpi scan that I made from the print, and found out that the picture had been enlarged by a factor of 1.013333, or 1.3333%. Uprezzing the submitted file by the same factor looks very similar to the print I got.

So that looks pretty conlusive to me. Thanks again for the contributions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up