Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5 doesn't support OSX 10.6.8 - looking like an expensive upgrade!  (Read 1749 times)

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography

Hi there,

So I just decided to go for the photographers' CC subscription, seems like decent value at £8 per month for the first year.

PS installed just fine.

LR won't, and the forums say it's because I'm still on 10.6.8.

Now I can't upgrade to 10.9 because my machine is too old apparently (by about 2 months as far as I can tell) - it's a decent old Mac Pro still humming along after a number of extortionate repairs. But now it looks like if I want to get LR5 I'm going to have to buy a new machine.

I doubt I'll stick with Apple to be honest, the price premium is something that really bugs me and I much prefer W8 to OSX.

The reason I need new LR - is to support my new A7R! I wasn't counting on needing a new computer. :(

So my questions:

1. Out of curiousity - does anyone know why LR5 won't run on 10.6.8? Is there some new OS feature that makes it so? But not for PS?
2. Is there any easy way to persuade LR4.4 (CR7) to open my A7R files?

Thanks,
Craig

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:19:43 pm by Craig Arnold »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: LR 5 doesn't support OSX 10.6.8 - looking like an expensive upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:21:08 pm »

2. Is there any easy way to persuade LR4.4 (CR7) to open my A7R files?
Try converting to DNG.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mac Mahon

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:09:39 pm »

Hi there,

LR won't, and the forums say it's because I'm still on 10.6.8.

Now I can't upgrade to 10.9 because my machine is too old apparently (by about 2 months as far as I can tell) - it's a decent old Mac Pro still humming along after a number of extortionate repairs. But now it looks like if I want to get LR5 I'm going to have to buy a new machine.

You could try upgrading your decent old machine to OS 10.7 or 10.8 if it supports them.  LR5 runs fine on either of them. 

Tim

Craig Arnold

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 02:18:42 pm »

Thanks, that's a good idea.

It looks like I can upgrade to 10.7.5, but not 10.8 without hacking the firmware. So for £14 I'm going to give that a try.

A new MacPro with a Thunderbolt storage system is going to run at least £3,000. Even an iMac i7 will likely push £2,000. Which seems like a lot to upgrade LR.  :)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:44:48 pm »

But understand even upgrading to 10.7 you are only buying some limited breathing room right?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Craig Arnold

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »

Sure, I know it won't last forever, but another year to 18 months out of this system would be great.

In the meantime I have downloaded the DNG Converter and it seems to be an excellent little utility, not adding desperately much to processing time and workflow. Easy enough to put up with for the sake of saving £2k-£4k for another year or two.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:00:47 pm by Craig Arnold »
Pages: [1]   Go Up