Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Iconic Places. Oh what to do. Oh what to do  (Read 10917 times)

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Iconic Places. Oh what to do. Oh what to do
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:58:54 am »

For years I have traveled to Utah.  And of course as always doing my research to what Ansel had taken and seen just about everything taken of the areas in Utah and other locals.   So how should someone approach a national Icon that has been seen by tens of millions of people over the years and is one of the most photographed places on earth.  First I had been there in the 80's with my 4x5.  Then I have taken many up there who also wanted to shoot it.  But since I make my money and living selling my photos selling fine art at galleries.  How do you make a statement.  How do you shoot something amazing when its amazing and just sits there, staring at you, taunting you basically teasing you.  Then recently I remember Ansel saying something he had said to me in 1983.  Let the sky IN.  So I did!

I waited till the sky was amazing.  But best of all it was damn right cold, did I say cold yes very cold and no one was willing to be up there on that ridiculously cold day.  But the clouds that day were amazing and beautiful.  So I took the hike like I have many other times before and behold.  To be there alone may never happen again in a iconic place again.  But perseverance pays off.   

P.S. Everyone you meet, every image you SEE will change your life in some small way. Timothy Wolcott

First family in Photography, Celebrating 175 years.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Iconic Places. Oh what to do. Oh what to do
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:18:38 am »

Nice shot.  Very dramatic.  How did you shoot and process it?

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:27:08 pm »

Ignore the local wildlife photo-bombing the icon and notice the shadow completing the arch.
An overly familiar subject may present a less familiar face if shot in less photogenic light, midday in November:

I've Anselled it a bit below; mind you, he didn't have iPhones lying around in his images, tho I'm sure he would have embraced them as tools:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:43:18 pm by markadams99 »

tim wolcott

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:37:34 am »

I processed it with capture one and shot it with the IQ180.  But it was so windy up there that I was getting a little afraid of that steep cliff you have to walk on since it was pushing me around.  Its the windiest I have ever seen there.  not sure if I would do it again.  But then again I always say that after the danger is over.  It always seems that if its going to be a great shot, I really don't look to much at what the risk is too much.  Have a great day.  Tim

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:14:19 am »

I like it a lot. The curved lines in the foreground, the arch, and the dramatic sky, all elements work together to create a very interesting image.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:02:27 pm »

A fine shot, Tim. And yes, the sky really makes it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:41:38 pm »

Excellent sky, unusual take, well worth the hike.
For me, the bottom distracts, and I might crop this square.

lorenzettifoto

• Andrea Lorenzetti photographer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 03:02:48 pm »

excellent image with a wonderful sky

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 03:36:57 pm »

The clouds turn the iconic arc into a piece of pop-art. ;)
I like it !
Cheers
~Chris

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 04:32:54 pm »

Have you tried cropping off the bottom one-quarter? And, with all due respect, you might try lightening up on the contrast and other adjustments that make it so "dramatic" (AKA fake). Maybe you sell a lot of photos like this, and if so, more power to you. But, Arches never, ever, looked like this.

chris cramer

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 08:31:50 pm »

looks perfect to me as is.  been to Delicate many times, seen many pictures of it and this one stands out near the top!!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 10:16:00 pm »

You did it!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

tim wolcott

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 10:36:19 pm »

Sorry Peter with all due respect.  Since when is Black and white reality.  So really aka fake.  you need to get a grip.  I suppose you would tell Ansel Adams and Brett Weston that theirs is fake.  No I didn't crop it yet and by the way I do make my living selling a lot of photographs.  I'm sure Ansel would say you took it as far as you needed too.

Do I like Ansel's overly Black big skies no not really but thats not my style.  But on this image it WORKS!

This is hard place to create something amazing. 

Others Thanks for the compliments.  Tim

tim wolcott

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:44:35 pm »

Here is one from the Famous Tunnel View.  I did post this image before but seems I should post it here.  

I met Ansel when I was seventeen and learned some good advice.  Later did many exhibits with his work and other masters who unfortunately is not here anymore.

I chose not to have all that sky Ansel used.  I didn't care for the angle Ansel chose which is really above the trees.  I love the Angles where I look thru the trees to give depth and scale.  

Shooting images that the Masters shot before is always a issue.  Gallery owners will say it looks like, so I try to shoot them differently and try to make it better than what they shot.  I waited for a storm that rained then snowed 4 feet just after that.  So the snow stuck to the trees.  Tim
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:02:44 pm by tim wolcott »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »

Here is one from the Famous Tunnel View. 

Extraordinary, both of them.  AA would be proud.

SO glad you waited through adversity to capture Delicate Arch with that superb sky.  Your pain is our gain.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 11:09:45 am »

Sorry Peter with all due respect.  Since when is Black and white reality.  So really aka fake.  you need to get a grip.  I suppose you would tell Ansel Adams and Brett Weston that theirs is fake.  No I didn't crop it yet and by the way I do make my living selling a lot of photographs.  I'm sure Ansel would say you took it as far as you needed too.

Do I like Ansel's overly Black big skies no not really but thats not my style.  But on this image it WORKS!

If it works for you, that's all that counts - but you did ask for OPINIONS and not COMPLEMENTS. I will say that if this is the sort of results you want, it is very skillfully done.

tim wolcott

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 12:59:53 pm »

I don't really remember asking for opinions.  Simply trying to raise the bar a little.  Trying to make a difference in the photographic world.  Some of my friends say why bother.  But I keep saying its our obligation to assist.  There's very little people on this or any site that have the background in photography or what I have invented that has changed photography nor the family lineage. 

Shooting for the sake of shooting creates Mediocrity.  Mediocrity is not a standard. 

With all of this great equipment and softwares to take control of every facet of what and how to capture and image, the bar should be raising, but its not, people are settling.  It still takes the same kind of skill set needed to execute a great images and then turn it into an exhibition image just like it did in the old days when we did it by hand and with lots of experimentation. 

I have had this talk with Canon, Nikon, Hassy and also Phase in my gallery.  Photography really has not changed since my family invented the first camera.  Its still about getting it right the first time with the composition, vision, focus, lens and lighting.  Then you have the fun of printing it. 

By the way this is not meant towards anyone.  Tim

tim wolcott

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 12:37:29 am »

So here's an image I shot of course in Monument Valley.  I scouted this place when I was teaching the Phase One workshop.  I scouted the location several days before.  When the workshop was over we drove thru a good storm when dropping off the students at the airport.  I got my car and ran quickly back up to Monument valley, the storm produced amazing clouds.  On the way down we saw rainbows and wild looking formations in the sky.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:39:23 am by tim wolcott »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 01:41:00 am »

If your mind is attuned t

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 03:06:11 am »

So here's an image I shot of course in Monument Valley.  I scouted this place when I was teaching the Phase One workshop.  I scouted the location several days before.  When the workshop was over we drove thru a good storm when dropping off the students at the airport.  I got my car and ran quickly back up to Monument valley, the storm produced amazing clouds.  On the way down we saw rainbows and wild looking formations in the sky.

Plus moon !
Great shot !
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up