Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lrcat Cloud Backup with Duplicati  (Read 1627 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Lrcat Cloud Backup with Duplicati
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:11:37 am »

I recently abandoned Carbonite for any photography work as it can cannot keep up with the large files that DNG and TIF files generate. I have a copy of my Lr Lrcat on a second disk and I do a incremental system backup to an external hard drive weekly. Still, I like the idea of having an forth copy of the Lrcat in the cloud.

I had heard about Duplicati and tried it a little. With the dismissal of Carbonite I decided to look at Duplicati again. I set up my backup plan and let Duplicati backup the Lrcat folder to my Skydrive account. This was very easy and only took ten minutes or so. The folder on Skydrive does not look like the two Lrcat files I uploaded; it is a series of about 20 Duplicati files. The total of the Duplicati files was 353MB; the two Lrcat files that it backed up were 1.2Gb each. That's impressive compression. (I'll have to try it on some DNG file an see how it does.)

This morning, I restored the Duplicati files to new folder on my system. Restoration took about five minutes. I tested the resulting Lrcat file by opening Lr and changing the catalog location to the restore folder and restarting Lr. Works perfectly!

This is a good tool and I will give some consideration as to how I can use it in other effective ways.

Update:

I backed up 2.97GB of RAW (RW2) files with Duplicati and the resulting files on Skydrive are 705MB. That's about a 4:1 compression.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:08:25 pm by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

jaclarkaus

Re: Lrcat Cloud Backup with Duplicati
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:58 am »

I downloaded Duplicati and tried to backup to my FTP server, got error messages and could not find anywhere to get support.

Shame really as the compression looked good.

Now deleted.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Re: Lrcat Cloud Backup with Duplicati
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:06:14 am »

Duplicati has a feature that tests the log-in procedure with your backup system. Was your FTP server able to accept Duplicati's attempt to log in? I've not found a support forum for Duplicati either, but there is a Google group that may be able to help you - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/duplicati

A feature I've noticed is sorely missing in Duplicati is some kind of event log. I've set Duplicati to wake my computer every Friday night and run backup for my selected files. There is no way within Duplicati to confirm this has happened. I have to go to my backup location and see if the new files are there. This problem is compounded by the fact that sleep mode on my computer is not working well. Tonight I'll be doing my usual backup and will keep the computer on all night. I'm not confident yet in Duplicati's ability to run automatic backups, which is what I'd really like to have.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up