Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon user - Time for a change - 5D Mk IV due anytime soon?  (Read 4609 times)

Dinarius

Re: Canon user - Time for a change - 5D Mk IV due anytime soon?
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 03:21:30 pm »

Thanks for the heads-up on the 6D. Will look into it.

One thing about installing Magic Lantern firmware. It voids your warranty.

D.

NancyP

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 05:04:34 pm »

For my camera, its year is nearly up. Because the ML program stays on your card, I am not sure how Canon would know you ran it. Does it leave a cookie?  ;D

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 01:57:34 pm »

"I simply like to offer clients the best image quality I can."

Then switch from Canon to Nikon for the D800E or go full throttle for the Phase One IQ 250 or the latest  50mp+ Hasselblad.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 05:13:12 pm »

Magic lantern runs from the SD  card it does nothing to the firmware of your Canon.  Pull the magic lantern enabled SD card power the camera back on.  Camera comes up just like a new Canon out of the box no trace of magic lantern.  There is no trace if magic lantern as it was on the SD card only.  They figured out a very good way of doing this. No way of knowing it was ever tried or not.  If you are concerned head over to the main site and read some of the user reviews.  If you try it make sure you print out the user guide. 

It's a very good solution for a Canon user and when you look at what you are getting for nothing as it's free the improvements are very impressive.  

Paul C

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:18:27 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Dennishh

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 10:15:42 pm »

Keep your Mk3 and get a A7r with metabones adapter to keep using your Canon glass and enjoy the fantastic 36mp sensor right now.

peterottaway

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 11:23:00 pm »

Things could improve Canon users looking to switch some of their work to Sony. It is claimed that Novoflex is working on a competitor adapter to Metabones.

Lee Roberts

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »

Based on the current price (near-2012 retail price) of the 5d3, and without many rebates that I've seen (Nikon D800 user here that continues to see Grey market, refurbed, and lower prices), apparently the 5d3 is here to stay for several more years at the least. And apparently selling QUITE WELL!

My first FF DSLR was actually a 5d2 -- bought in late 2010 -- and served me well. The 5d3 is a huge improvement, I hear, in handling noise, of course AF blows the old 5d2 system away, and general ergonomics. I've held one and like it.....but I switched entirely to Nikon not because of 36MP. My decision was based on its superior UWA lens selections and ability to "push" image in post without all of the banding issues.

The sharpness and resolution of 22/23/24 MP is plenty. Trust me. I've never looked at an image and thought "this is just not very detailed". My best work is from my 5d2 (I did shoot a lot more when I had it). My point: I was a LATE adaptor that was reading (in late 2010) how a new model was "right around the corner". Well, yes, 1.5 years later that was the case. BTW, I paid $2,600 for my now-outdated 5d2 less than 4 yrs ago. I think I sold it for around $1,600-1,700 when the 5d3 was just announced. So I got plenty of enjoyment out of it for roughly $50 in deflation each month. Pull the trigger and get the excellent 5d3. Newer and better will always be the paradox of electronic purchasing. Lenses are the only purchase that truly hold their value in the realm of photog
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:11:50 pm by Lee Roberts »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up