Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video footage storage and backup solution  (Read 3501 times)

niklasalexandersson

Video footage storage and backup solution
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:08:20 am »

I'm new to video (pro still photographer) and I am needing help for setting up a good editing/storage/backup solution.

I'm shooting on a Canon xf100 in HD and I will gather quite a lot of material for the project i'm working on, a behind the scenes documentary.

So my question is if the following setup is good, or if anyone have a better solution:
Synology NAS with 4x4 TB hds in raid 5
Three 4TB usb drives connected to NAS for backup
One 1000 GB ssd used as project drive
One 1 TB usb drive as backup for project drive

Can it be done cheaper in any way? And do i need an ssd for project drive?

BTW i'm using Premiere Pro.

Cheers!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Video footage storage and backup solution
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:04:03 pm »

...my question is if the following setup is good, or if anyone have a better solution:
Synology NAS with 4x4 TB hds in raid 5
This sounds like a reasonably good setup. What is needed for editing is a fast data stream and a 4 drive RAID should give that to you. My preference today since I use a lot of multi-cam, would be a 6 drive RAID over Thunderbolt. Use at least 7200 rpm drives. Use the RAID strictly for serving media. Network speed is crucial; I prefer to work with either Thunderbolt or eSATA connected RAIDs

Three 4TB usb drives connected to NAS for backup
sounds good - just set the backup to work when you are not editing

One 1000 GB ssd used as project drive
The project file is good to have on your boot drive. 1000 GB is massive and would allow you lots of room. I work off a 250 GB ssd boot drive which I keep at no more than 50% full. The project file resides there.

One 1 TB usb drive as backup for project drive
Again, sensible and adequate

Can it be done cheaper in any way? And do i need an ssd for project drive? ...
It probably might be done cheaper depending on the size requirements of your media, but I do not see any obvious area to cut back other than the size of the SSD. I would set preferences to write any renders to the outboard RAID so that you are not clogging the SSD with rendered media
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:07:35 pm by Chris Sanderson »

niklasalexandersson

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »

First of all, thank you Chris for very good answers. And taking the time to answer them!

Some more questions then  ;)

This sounds like a reasonably good setup. What is needed for editing is a fast data stream and a 4 drive RAID should give that to you. My preference today since I use a lot of multi-cam, would be a 6 drive RAID over Thunderbolt. Use at least 7200 rpm drives. Use the RAID strictly for serving media. Network speed is crucial; I prefer to work with either Thunderbolt or eSATA connected RAIDs

Is there any thunderbolt raid device that has usb ports for backup? Don't know much whats available, but the ones i've seen does not have that.
Or would it be enough bandwidth with a nas connected over a single ethernet cable?

The project file is good to have on your boot drive. 1000 GB is massive and would allow you lots of room. I work off a 250 GB ssd boot drive which I keep at no more than 50% full. The project file resides there.

My plan was to let Premiere copy all my working files within the project to this drive as well, but maybe it's enough with the raid?

All the best,
Niklas

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:05:09 pm »

...Is there any thunderbolt raid device that has usb ports for backup? Don't know much whats available, but the ones i've seen does not have that.
Or would it be enough bandwidth with a nas connected over a single ethernet cable?

My plan was to let Premiere copy all my working files within the project to this drive as well, but maybe it's enough with the raid?

Only 10G ethernet is going to give you the bandwidth you are likely to need. Unless you are in an enterprise/multiple user situation with NAS, direct attached storage will do the job better IMO. RAID5 is essentially redundant storage and is less in need of backup since it allows for the failure of one drive.

I am not really familiar with TB/USB devices but check out Western Digital's offerings.

Sareesh Sudhakaran over at WolfCrow has a lot of information on NAS & SAN for video.

niklasalexandersson

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:48:34 pm »

Thank you again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up