Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to the DHW HS-1000 electronic shutter?  (Read 18760 times)

torger

What happened to the DHW HS-1000 electronic shutter?
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:14:09 am »

In photokina 2012 DHW announced the HS1000 electronic shutter, a drop-in replacement for Copal 0, powered and controlled through a micro-USB port.

Since then it's been silent about it, and now when I look at the DHW homepage I only find the older Rollei Electronic Shutter.

What happened?

We've had a few bulky electronic shutter systems for those that likes cables, large ugly boxes and working in a studio. I was hoping this could at least be the shutter for field work in future technical cameras, especially now when manufacturing of the original mechanical Copal shutters have ceased.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:22:01 am by torger »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: What happened to the DHW HS-1000 electronic shutter?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:21:17 am »

I had had high hopes for this too.  But it seems to have faded away.  Love the power idea, via the Micro USB, and I thought at the time it was anno'd you would control it via the iPhone or similar device.  However as I recall the cost for one shutter was around 1K US which was a bit much for me.

I would still rather see more solutions like Alpa's FPS, as this way you just add a modular focal plane shutter and don't have to do anything to existing lenses with a Copal.  Cost and time to remount to a electric shutter is quite a bit.  I keep hoping to see other solutions (Actual products that will ship) from the other companies out there. 

The Current electronic shutters are way to limited in my opinion in both available shutter speeds, how the operate, and power i.e. tethered solution. 

I would love to be able to get 1/3 stops again. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:04:53 pm »

Hi All,
This shutter is still in the works and coming soon.    It's been duty tested at 1/1000th for 100,000 cycles in continuous use and a few prototype units have already been given to a customer last fall.   My understanding is that DHW has changed the circuit board (and supplier) and needs to retest these before going into production.  These will be more expensive than the current shutters, however as they won't require a lens controller the cost could work out similarly.   They are the only electronic shutters that can reach 1/1000th sync speed.   iOS and Android apps are planned.  This will be very cool indeed.

I have the data sheet on these in the downloads section on my website.

Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:23:37 pm »

More expensive is pretty much a no go as the current electronic ones are 1K.  Hope they do well but that's a bit too much.  Makes more sense to invest in a FPS if you haven't already made the move to a tech camera brand yet.

For each $$$ spent for the new (and as of yet un-tested) one of these new shutters, you have to send in your lens, to be re-colimated for the new shutter.  That has to be done by the lens company, i.e. either Rodenstock or Schneider.  You can add another 500 to 800 for that.  Plus no guarantee the re-colimated shutter is aligned correctly.  Lot of time and money. 

This type of solution IMO only works on a new lens, but still the cost of over 1K just for the shutter is a bit too high for me.  Alpa has the right idea, just can't go there now.

Paul 

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

torger

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:29:18 pm »

Thanks for the update Eric, glad to hear that there's progress!

Price seems to be a killer for amateur use :-\, but we can struggle with the Copals for yet some time :)

Do you have an approximate price indication? €1500 per shutter? €2500?

Focal plane shutter is great economy for you only need to pay once for the shutter, but the vibration issue and increased flange distance is a problem with them I don't like.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:32:36 pm by torger »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 12:42:11 pm »

What is wrong with Copal shutters?  

Yes the new shutter seems like a very cool item coming onto the market, but the length of time it takes to have the shutter mounted, and then remounted onto the camera mount is very long.  I just bought a Roddie 90mm and it took month and half (actually two if you count the two weeks Arca took off for the holidays) to have the old shutters replaced and then for Arca to mount it.  That is a lot of time.  

But if I were to buy new, maybe I would consider it.  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

sgilbert

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 01:09:17 pm »

What is wrong with Copal shutters?  I think there are two answers:  one is that they are not making them any more, so there's the Chicken Little reaction:  "what will I do, my shutter may fail in a hundred thousand more shots," and the other I suspect is the usual internet hunt for the latest and greatest thing;  an electronic shutter rather than a mechanical one. 

I admit to falling prey to the first:  I bought a new Copal shutter on eBay last year.   :)

torger

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:25:50 pm »

Yes the main problem with Copal shutters is that they are not being made any longer. There's probably stock for a few years still though, so there's no hurry.

I'm also interested in the long-term development of "my" format (field tech cameras), that's why I find shutter development and new backs and anything else relevant to the format interesting. I also believe that tech cameras would gain from becoming a bit more automatic and integrated, and having a good electronic shutter is a part of that.

Although phone apps are fine I'd also like to see that the interface is open for camera body manufacturers to integrate with, I rather control the shutter from the camera body than my phone.

Since the price is going to be higher than I'd like, I do hope that Copal shutters can stay "standard" for quite a while more though. If not and these leaf shutters will cost €2000+ each I suspect that focal plane shutters will become the new standard.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:28:52 pm by torger »

sgilbert

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »

I understand, Torger.  I just prefer a shutter with a button to press or a cable release. 

I know that controlling a shutter with an iPhone is a cool "app;"  I just don't want to do it. 

torger

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

I know that controlling a shutter with an iPhone is a cool "app;"  I just don't want to do it.  

I agree, I hate shutter control boxes. So far electronic shutters have been ugly hacks with cables hanging all over and large boxes etc, clearly made for studio work only. If some electronic shutter could be made to work well in wide use cases it could actually become a standard and then tech cam body manufacturers could actually implement shutter controllers in their bodies, and we get something nicely integrated, hopefully reliable too. Something I could trust and bring out for long hikes, like I do with an SLR type of camera which have been electronic for quite a while.

The HS-1000 looks like it could be something like this, but it may also be a "studio only" type of product, I'm not sure. It shall be exciting to see when it arrives to market.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 02:22:58 pm »

In regards to problems with Copal's:

In the U.S. I know of only one place that can work on them, Precision Camera works in IL.   They are also the repair center for Arca products at least heads and the like.  So long term, not sure there is a good solution for repair.  Precision is run by one person as far as the work done on shutters, they are great but going out 10 years not sure what will be there. 

If you have to replace the shutter, it's not an easy deal, as the lens will have to be re-colimated by the lens company.  As I mentioned before this is not a quick or cheap job.  6 to 8 week turn around unless it's late July or all of August when a lot of Europe is on holiday.  After re-colination, the lens has to pass back to the Camera company, Arca, Alpa or Cambo to be readjusted, i.e. fit with a new lens mount.  Add another 2 to 3 weeks and a bit more $$$

Actual range of shutter speeds on a copal will always vary.  Some have a habit of giving 1/45 when you are at 1/30 other will jump 1/250 and hit 1/350th.  Some will not ever give 1/500.  Accuracy is not a strong point.  I have 6 and all of mine have issues between 1/125th and 1/500 in getting 1/250th which is a shutter speed I seem to prefer.  A couple of them also are very hard to get to give either 1/30 (instead hitting 1/45) or 1/60 (instead hitting 1/90).

Lack of 1/3 or 1/2 shutter speed increments is a huge issue for me.  I shot with my DF last week due to a issue with my IQ260 and it reminded me of just how nice it was to have 1/30, 1/45, 1/60, 1/80, 1/25 etc. 

In regards to the the electronic shutter driving a difference between amateur or pros,  I don't see that at all.  All of my revenue is based on either my photography or printing and I use a tech camera 100% of the time with a Phase One back when the shooting conditions allow it.  However I am not willing to just add in another 1K--1.5K for a electronic shutter, one that is a stand alone setup, probably will have issues with the sync with a Phase One back, and requires a dongle/iPad, whatever hanging around.  One that also appears considerably larger in diameter than the copal solution, I am sure adds more weight and may create issues in adjusting the aperture depending on the lens/camera mount.   Example Schneider 35XL on Arca.  or 43XL for that matter.   

For that I would rather see a Focal shutter solution.  No doubt if the issue with Copal was known in 2011 when I made the switch I would have given Alpa more consideration.  They do seem a bit more forward thinking and ahead of the game with products like the FPS.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

DanielStone

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:35:25 pm »

By chance, is DHW also planning a Copal 1 replacement as well?

DanielStone

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 02:41:51 pm »

In regards to problems with Copal's:

In the U.S. I know of only one place that can work on them, Precision Camera works in IL.   They are also the repair center for Arca products at least heads and the like.  So long term, not sure there is a good solution for repair.  Precision is run by one person as far as the work done on shutters, they are great but going out 10 years not sure what will be there. 

Paul

If all you need is a CLA on a Copal shutter, I can list at least 5 reputable shops here in LA alone that can handle a CLA, no sweat. Can't you simply unscrew f+r elements before taking your shutter in for a service? What's this "re-colimnation" business? Shouldn't the shutter's tolerances be the same after being reassembled with the same parts(shell, threaded barrel, etc...?

Just asking. I still use 4x5 and 5x7 view cameras w/ film, but having had many CLA's done on various shutters over the past few years, I've never seen a "need" to send the lens elements in with the shutter itself ???

torger

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 03:08:37 pm »

One that also appears considerably larger in diameter than the copal solution, I am sure adds more weight and may create issues in adjusting the aperture depending on the lens/camera mount.   Example Schneider 35XL on Arca.  or 43XL for that matter.

The 43 and 35 is out of question afaik for FPS, I think the 60mm is the shortest from Schneider Digitar you can use with Alpa FPS, but please correct me if wrong. A problem with a focal plane shutter is that it takes up space and thus rules out symmetrical wides. Symmetrical wides is something I happen to like about the tech cam format so I hope they won't disappear, which they probably will if focal plane shutter becomes the new standard. If it wasn't for this I also think focal plane shutters would be the way to go. Shutter vibration worries me a little, but I think it can be handled.

Electronic shutters are indeed a bit bulky. They fit on a small technika lens board though also the short focal lengths, not sure how pancake camera lens mounts do though.

My realistic guess is that symmetrical wides will die anyway, as sensor tech don't do them well currently, especially CMOS, and few see the advantages of them (smaller, lighter, cheaper, distortion free, nice bokeh), and with stronger retrofocus designs we can fit the focal plane shutter in there. But I still hope the symmetrical wides can get through this difficult time (shutter on the way out, new sensors not supporting them).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:11:16 pm by torger »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 03:24:58 pm »

Daniel. You make a good point. 

Yes as I understand it as long as you keep the original shutter you are fine tolerance should be the same.  I was referring to sending in an existing Copal mounted lens to have the electronic mounted in its place.  This requires recolimation. 

Thanks for the leads in LA for repair. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

henrikfoto

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 04:02:22 pm »

"If you have to replace the shutter, it's not an easy deal, as the lens will have to be re-colimated by the lens company.  As I mentioned before this is not a quick or cheap job.  6 to 8 week turn around unless it's late July or all of August when a lot of Europe is on holiday.  After re-colination, the lens has to pass back to the Camera company, Arca, Alpa or Cambo to be readjusted, i.e. fit with a new lens mount.  Add another 2 to 3 weeks and a bit more $$"

How critical is the exact mounting if you use the same spacer as the lens used in the old shutter?
Does the thickness of the shutters have tight tollerances?

And if the adjustments are that critical, what if the lens is slightly moved or slightly unscrewed?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:06:12 pm by henrikfoto »

torger

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 01:50:24 am »

How critical is the exact mounting if you use the same spacer as the lens used in the old shutter?
Does the thickness of the shutters have tight tollerances?

And if the adjustments are that critical, what if the lens is slightly moved or slightly unscrewed?

It's more critical in digital than in film, as digital project to a smaller surface. In fact, some "digital" lenses are exactly the same as the analog version with the sole difference that tighter tolerance numbers were used during mounting.

I've heard that the thickness of Copal shutters don't have tight enough tolerances to be trusted, ie you might need to shim the lens if you replace the shutter.

Slightly unscrewed should affect sharpness, one can test and see. Probably it depends a bit on the exact optical design how sensitive it is concerning front and back element spacing. If rays are passing through the shutter near perpendicular it should not matter much.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 07:52:35 am »

It's more critical in digital than in film, as digital project to a smaller surface. In fact, some "digital" lenses are exactly the same as the analog version with the sole difference that tighter tolerance numbers were used during mounting.

I've heard that the thickness of Copal shutters don't have tight enough tolerances to be trusted, ie you might need to shim the lens if you replace the shutter.

Slightly unscrewed should affect sharpness, one can test and see. Probably it depends a bit on the exact optical design how sensitive it is concerning front and back element spacing. If rays are passing through the shutter near perpendicular it should not matter much.

+1
Exactly the way I understand it also.  The tolerances are very tight, and the lens needs to get back to the manufacturer to be colimated (process of re-alignment).

Paul 
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 11:29:45 am »

Torger,
The new shutters will probably be in the $2100 range, but I'll know more exact numbers when they are ready for sale. 

Being able to control these via USB without a controller box will be really great and as mentioned iOS and Android apps are planned.   Electronic shutters are more precise and repeatable than Copal shutters plus they can be operated remotely unlike the Copal ones that need someone there to cock them.      The current Rollei electronic shutters can be changed in 1/10th stop increments. 

Regarding tolerances and lens calibration - I'm going to have to spend some time with Imatest on this to find out for sure.  Currently, I've never noticed a difference.  Those of you that have unscrewed an element before (perhaps to fit it to a lens board or something) think on this:  How tight is the right tightness?  How much of a turn is there between just touching and snug?  If the pitch on the threads is .75mm/turn then even just 1/8 a turn is about 1/10th of a mm travel - quarter of a turn makes almost 2/10ths. And you have that for front and rear elements.  Copal 0 shutters should have 20mm between front and rear mount faces.  How does a factory calibrate this?   Do you suppose that schneider or rodenstock are cutting down the shutter if its too big for the lens pair? I've only seen shims but even then very rarely? Color me a skeptic.
Rolleiflex USA

torger

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 12:41:54 pm »

Thanks for the guesstimate on cost!

I suspect that the price will be a bit too high to become a real Copal replacement. With my six lenses it would be $12K just in shutters, ouch! It's more and more looking like the future in field cameras belong to focal plane shutters.

I just wonder how shallow those can be made. I just made a quick measure on my Linhof Techno, at infinity the rear element of my Schneider Digitar 35mm is about 21mm from the sensor. It's not a wide gap to fit a focal plane shutter, but perhaps it can be done.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up