Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sensor Cleaning Accessory  (Read 1292 times)

jvora

Sensor Cleaning Accessory
« on: February 03, 2014, 07:48:56 pm »

Hello :

Don't exactly know where to post his question but still went ahead and posted it here as ( 1. ) I visit this section the most and ( 2. ) Know that the collective experience/knowledge of all here is perhaps second to none thus know that I would receive the best possible advice/replies -

I just came across the following post on fstoppers.com ( http://fstoppers.com/how-to-clean-dust-off-your-dslr-sensor-sensor-gel-stick | Fstoppers ) and am wondering what you all think of this Sensor Cleaning Product. The article mentions that this product is used by several Service Centers including Nikon, Canon and others !

Sensor dirty accumulation is really a big issue for my Cameras as the air ( except during the monsoons ) is always laden with tons of dust particles ( Am based out of India ).

I do use the Wet Method and I get ok results ( sometimes after consuming a lot of supplies and time ), but if this new method is safe, I would gladly relegate the Wet Method for this "dry" method.

My questions are as follows :

1. Has any one used this product ? If yes, what kind of results are you getting ?
2. How safe would this gel method be on/for a sensor ?
3. Does this Method leave a residue on the sensor ?
4. As there is a bit of a tug force being placed on the sensor when the Gel Wand is pulled away from the sensor, would this damage the "sensor shake mechanism" ? This last questions refers to dslr's.

I look forward to your thought and experiences on the above.

Thanks,

Jai

ps : Question Cross Posted

Alskoj

Re: Sensor Cleaning Accessory
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:31 am »

I just ordered one. I have a Canon 5D3 and have noticed some dust images on my pics recently that the onboard sensor cleaning did not remove.
$65 for the gel stick includes shipping and tax.
If I remember, I will post results later.

Graham Welland

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 12:11:53 pm »

I've used this very successfully with all of my cameras including the IQ3100 and GFX. I use the visible dust filtered blower first and sensor loupe to identify any dust and then the gel stick where required. Once you know how to effectively use the stick / cleaning strips it is very efficient and effective.
Graham

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:51 pm »

I've used them on my Hasselblad and Leica cameras to good effect. They'll remove dust particles efficiently.

I've heard people describe them as "stamp tools" but don't make the mistake of using them as such. Rather than "stamping" I'd recommend placing on the sensor and then gently rolling off.

The only problem I've encountered is in exceptionally hot conditions when they can have a tendency to become too "sticky" and can leave a deposit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up