Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest in portable tethering for old (ie firewire) backs?  (Read 4899 times)

torger

Latest in portable tethering for old (ie firewire) backs?
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:27:38 am »

What's the latest in really slim portable tethered shooting when you have a digital back with firewire interface (ie not USB3 or WiFi like some of the new ones)?

The main problem seems to be firewire and the fact that you need to power the back through it. Ideally I'd like a smallish tablet, an USB to firewire adapter with a small battery (ie similarly sized as the back's normal battery) that can drive the back, and the possibility to run C1/Phocus/Lightroom. Is there such a thing?

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: Latest in portable tethering for old (ie firewire) backs?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:46:01 am »

I have a p25+ and it came with the FW400 cable, which, needless to say, won't plug in with my USB3 and TB Macbook Air. So I got 2 adapter (FW400-FW800 then FW800 - TB) and it works fine.

torger

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:50:07 am »

I have a p25+ and it came with the FW400 cable, which, needless to say, won't plug in with my USB3 and TB Macbook Air. So I got 2 adapter (FW400-FW800 then FW800 - TB) and it works fine.

Are those adapters passive, ie no battery in them, so the power to the back comes from the laptop battery? I thought that would not work, but maybe depends on laptop?

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:53:35 am »

Correct. And it may depend on the laptop model, I've only tried this combo.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:41:28 pm »

My Macbook Retina display with Thunderbolt won't power my Leaf back without a power source. In fact, it won't even work with a power source. It worked for awhile, but now I can't shoot tethered at all. Not sure what the problem is. In any event, there's no way it would work with just a FW to TB adapter.

John

Theodoros

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 06:18:16 pm »

I suggest that people who have problems better try a really good cable for tethering… Cable quality is of most importance to avoid losses.

torger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 04:07:41 am »

If you want to go even more compact than a laptop, is there any tablet capable of tethering? Apple's products won't work as they all run iOS, need a real operating system so you can run Phocus/Lightroom/Capture One. But perhaps a Microsoft Surface Pro with some sort of firewire adapter?

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:39:24 am »

Mac

PC

The repeater can be powered with any 12V DC power source e.g. Quantum Turbo II etc.
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

foster_jb

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »

Hi Torger,

I have an Aptus 22 and have also spent (a lot) of time searching for a tablet which has firewire capability.  I stumbled upon this, and it looks promising:

http://www.motioncomputing.com/us/products/rugged-tablets/j3600

It's a tablet, has Win7 Pro, can be configured with an I7 cpu, up to 8 gigs memory, has an ExpressCard slot, and has TWO batteries which are hot-swappable...  I haven't bought it, YET, but the specs seem to indicate that it could work well.  Oh, and it weighs around 3 pounds, and you can get an option for gorilla glass and a high-end display screen...

The base model goes for around $1600 US, but that comes with an I5 and only 2 gigs memory, which likely isn't enough for Capture One if you are using it.  Still, you can get a better cpu and memory and and and...  It just costs more money.

My only real last question about it, is whether or not I can find an ExpressCard for firewire which does not need to be externally powered...  Currently, I have one from Siig which I use with my laptop, but it does require that I also plug in and power it externally; the laptop won't do it on its own..

Hope that is helpful,
Foster
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:06:02 pm by foster_jb »

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 06:15:19 pm »

My recommendation is to get a small Dell/ Lenovo business laptop with an expresscard slot, get a Firewire card for it, a repeater and a quantum battery.

...or just upgrade to a Credo and a Microsoft Surface Pro and tether via USB 3. :)
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 11:48:02 pm »

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

Haven't seen one in person, but sounds interesting...
Pages: [1]   Go Up