Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello, new member here  (Read 1654 times)

-Xander

Hello, new member here
« on: February 03, 2014, 03:45:57 am »

Didn't see any specific "intro post" arena on here, so if I missed it, please forgive me.

The name's Xander, been reading here for a short while and decided to join.  Been gaining a heap of excellent information from here and only felt it right to say thanks!

I am an ameture, though I do take my hobby seriously.  I don't think that makes me any good at it, but I enjoy it and learning new techniques.  Only recently have I decided to stop jumping around from snap shot to snap shot and focus on a goal.  I shoot Nikon D200, F100 and a bunch of other film nikons.  Also Leica R4, a couple fixed lens RF, an old Miranda F, and just got my first MF in the form of a YashicaMat 124.

Ayways, hope to be able to contribute even a small amount back someday, great site.

Cheers!

-Xander

Rob C

Re: Hello, new member here
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:38:55 am »

Welcome, and enjoy the picnic.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:24:24 am »

As Frankie said, "Welcome to the pleasuredome"!

I do hope to see some film uploads from you — it gets a bit lonely here at times for us workers from the wet lands.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:04 am »

Welcome aboard -Xander.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:10:52 am »

As Frankie said, "Welcome to the pleasuredome"!

I do hope to see some film uploads from you — it gets a bit lonely here at times for us workers from the wet lands.

Don't feel that way. My own best stuff is derived from the swamp.

Had I the means/environment today, I'd be back there; the overall experience was immeasurably better. The only difference I think I'd adopt, and I don't really know how it's done, is the making of digital negatives to print onto photographic (real) paper. Making all the changes I want to make via the computer and then turning that file into a real bromide would be the dog's cojones.

I can almost taste it: not the dog, the glowing, perfectly glazed double-weight print, every tone - every highlight and every important shadow I want, and just like I want it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmVeNSGTas

Some more perfect fusion of classical blues and real rock. Pretty much what I'd want out of photography, then.

Rob C

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:52:08 am by Rob C »

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:34:43 am »

The only difference I think I adopt, and I don't really know how it's done, is the making of digital negatives to print onto photographic (real) paper. Making all the changes I want to make via the computer and then turning that file into a real bromide would be the dog's cojones.

www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Negatives-Photoshop-Alternative-Printing/dp/0240808541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391438009&sr=8-1&keywords=reeder+hinkel+digital

Bloody hell! I've just noticed the price - £292.00 - I bought the book in 2008 for about £20 ..

Here's his site, www.ronreeder.com and another at a more reasonable £16.76,
www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Negatives-palladium-alternative-processes/dp/0557604680/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391438009&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=reeder+hinkel+digital
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:41:34 am by Manoli »

-Xander

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:20:08 am »

Thanks for the welcome!

Here is a shot from my 2014 personal project, this is my grandfathers service pistol.  I'm working out the particulars with digital then will shoot the final images on HP5+.  This is a working proof, not my final image.  This was shot with natural light, no backdrop.  Nikon D200, Nikkor 50/1.8, iso100, f/4.5, 1/800.

-Xander
Pages: [1]   Go Up