Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suddenly, I can't print much of anything on my 3880  (Read 4429 times)

mshea

suddenly, I can't print much of anything on my 3880
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:38:04 pm »

Let me preface by saying, I don't think this is a printer issue, but I'm not sure.

Back in October, everything was going fine; I could print anything, including 30"-long prints, through PS6. Then, starting in December, I tried printing some 16X20 shots on 17X22 Epson Premium Glossy sheets. No go. The printer LDC reads "Open Front Feeder Tray", or the Epson printer progress window reads "Front Tray Position Error". I always use the rear manual feeder tray and set proper paper sizes.

The weird thing is, I can print the images I made—and printed—back in October with no problem.

Epson has been of no help; they finally told me I should take it in for repair. So as a test, I downloaded the 3800 driver and tried printing on a friend's 3800. The exact same problem: couldn't print and the same error messages came up.

I finally tried printing the December (and now January) 16X20 images through Lightroom 5.3 and had no problem. Great, I thought! At least I've found a workaround. Well, today I tried printing an 11X17 image on 13X19 paper (though Lightroom) and I got a smaller, off-center image when I used the rear manual feeder tray, and a MUCH smaller off-center image when using the front manual feeder tray (I double checked the paper size settings).

Seems about the only things I can print consistently are Word documents!

What in heaven's name is going on?!

I'm using OS 10.8.5 (can't remember when I upgraded), PS6 13.0.5, Epson V.8.3. I've read about problems with Mac printer software interfering with Epson drivers, but I can't seem to locate the relevant folder(s) to see if trashing it might help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Merrill

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: suddenly, I can't print much of anything on my 3880
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:24:21 am »

You need to ask a Mac user how to delete your printer and then reinstall it.  It sounds like the driver has been corrupted somehow.

howardm

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25:51 pm »

yes, certainly sounds like the driver got corrupted.

you can...............

go into Printer Prefs and delete the printer.  then go via Finder (may need the special trick to make 'Library' visible but then go into Printers and wipe out the EPSON folder.  Get the driver .dmg from epson directly, install it and re-instantiate the printer.

mshea

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:23:30 pm »

Update: I downloaded the latest Epson driver (9.17), trashed the old driver; then updated PS6 to V13.0.6. Epson and i finally determined that the printer is fine, since I can print OK at the basic Mac level (web pages, photos through Preview, Word). I still can't print current work through PS though; older shots from pre-December print fine.

I can print through LR, but the images are the wrong size—all of them too small. I have to find the threads that discuss that. Applecare suggested I call Adobe. Will do.

thanks,
Merrill

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:48:33 pm »

If you have accidentally installed the apple epson drivers (which are for the consumer printers only), you may need a ‘reset’.  Take a look at this

http://www.cwaynefox.com/wordpress/epson-printers-and-lion-and-leopard-and-snow-leopard/

has helped quite a few people with problems similar to what you describe.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:00:11 pm »

You need to ask a Mac user how to delete your printer and then reinstall it.  It sounds like the driver has been corrupted somehow.

I'd do the Epson-Apple driver fix hocus pocus which is to delete all instances of Epson printers from System Preferences>Print & Fax.

Then go to /Library/Printers and toss the whole Epson folder.

Toss LFP Remote Panel (IF you are using this utility for your printer).

Then reinstall drivers.

When you go back to Print & Fax to add the printer, on 10.X I had to wait almost a minute before the IP version of the printer showed up, whereas the Bonjour one shows up right away. Then add the IP instance of the printer. This is for printers on a network.

Then re-install LFP Remote Panel if you use it with this printer.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

philbaum

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:04:29 am »

I don't know if this relates because it happened on my windows version of the 3880 driver.

But there is an Epson driver layout tab, and somehow, a block got checked that authorized a "scaling" feature to print a large size down to an 8 1/2x11 sheet size.

Took me awhile to find the problem, and when i unchecked it, everything was fine again, no 1/4 size images on large sheets.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up