Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What nobody tells beginners  (Read 2254 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
What nobody tells beginners
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:47:44 am »

Spending too much time on Vimeo, I know.  But this is good and I wish I had seen it in 1955.  By about 1968 I figured this out for myself.

Here's another more florid version with the same audio track.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: What nobody tells beginners
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:15:00 am »

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:50:04 am »

Ah these good old homilies!

My favourite one goes: if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. Then give up: no point in making a fool of yourself!

You worship at the alter that you know. Generally, these sayings come best from people who already command a recognized level of respect; the very same message coming from a gravitas-challenged unknown is inevitably ignored. I suppose one could write and sell these jewels to the famous who might not 'have time' to write them for themselves; oh, wait: that's what PR people...

;-)

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:32:25 am »

Rob, as we recently discussed:
It's all about the bullshitting ....
Cheers
~Chris

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:49:41 am »

Rob, as we recently discussed:
It's all about the bullshitting ....
Cheers
~Chris

There's a problem: the price of bulls. Had it been cows, on the other hand, more of us could afford to play.

;-)

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:23 am »

If it were dogs, the whole world could play....Then we all could be special?????

Peter

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:37:51 am »

If it were dogs, the whole world could play....Then we all could be special?????

Peter

That's the problem with so many people - they want to be special and don't understand it is more important to be themselves instead of spasmodically attempting to be something else they fantasize to be loved more by their peer group.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:59 am »

That's the problem with so many people - they want to be special and don't understand it is more important to be themselves instead of spasmodically attempting to be something else they fantasize to be loved more by their peer group.

But it's not a fantasy, Chris; it's the reality. All are not equally lovable. The difficulty is knowing whether the peer group is worth worrying about; generally, it's not. Other than work and immediate family, little ever is.

(There's a problem here: I once did a small shoot for a bra firm in Scotland, a manufacturer for a US brand called either Lovable or Loveable and I never could remember which was the correct spelling of their name. Do you think bra-burning should be considered a bonfire of the vanities or, on the contrary, but another statement of vanity in the supposition that the retaining of the bra wasn't a positive, realistic idea in the would-be burner's particular instance? Do you see how complex that the smallest of thoughts renders life?)

;-)

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:36:32 am »

Time to buy a bull ... :P

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:54:52 am »

While story telling with text is a very different process than photography, the mastery of anything takes a long time for most.

As the saying goes, you have to break a lot of eggs to make a soufflé. Not that that has anything to do with anything, but it’s the kind of allegory to which people relate, even if they haven’t made a soufflé, written a story, or taken what anyone considers to be a good foto. Such are the differences between text and 2d imagery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up