Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunset, Antelope Island, Utah  (Read 1119 times)

utahmike

• Aspengrove Labs, LLC
Sunset, Antelope Island, Utah
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:55:28 am »

Greetings. I'm a new member. This is my first post on this forum.

Behind schedule for sunset at White Rock Bay, my daughter and I stopped on the causeway Antelope Island to catch the light while we had it. As she captured the patterns in the mud with her Rebel, I was intrigued by the dead tree, the mirror-still water and the contrasting color temperatures of the light on the clouds. Scheduling issues can sometimes work out for the better.
Michael Clark - Salt Lake City

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Sunset, Antelope Island, Utah
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:23:23 am »

Welcome aboard !
This is a wondeful shot with an interesting  tension between peaceful silence and drama.
I like it a lot - very often strongly saturated colors look so garish, but here it works very well and adds to the image.
Having the moon in it makes it even better.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers
~Chris

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:04 am »

Welcome indeed.
A very painterly treatment, nice!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:00 am »

Welcome, wonderful photo. I like the way the clouds are emanating from the same área of the tree, powerful dynamics.

utahmike

• Aspengrove Labs, LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:15:13 pm »

Thanks for that thoughtful reply. I'm still trying to find the balance in post that gives an image interest, without over-doing it. Your flickr stream is beautiful - I love the marshes and the vendors. I take it you live in Europe?

utahmike

• Aspengrove Labs, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:15:40 pm »

Thank you, Scott!

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:49:37 pm »

Thanks for that thoughtful reply. I'm still trying to find the balance in post that gives an image interest, without over-doing it. Your flickr stream is beautiful - I love the marshes and the vendors. I take it you live in Europe?

Thanks for the nice words - its appreciated.

And yes - I live in Hamburg, Germany.
The marshes are the so called "Haseldorfer Binnenelbe" Downstream the river Elbe from Hamburg, opposite the city of Stade.
The vendors were from last years christmas market in Hamburg. Both projects were shot with my first serious digital camera, a Fuji X-E2. But I still shoot film with a Mamiya 7 ii, formerly I used a Mamiya Press kit. The process evolving from shooting digital images with a capable tool (I only had compacts before) is quite interesting for me. In the moment I have the clear feeling I will shoot digital alongside with film, since film gives a look different than digital, and I like both for different purposes.

E.g. this image:

was shot with film and a friend of mine shooting alongside with me with a Canon 5D Mark 2 simply didn't get the richness of colors in the sunrise - it looked like plastic though it wasn't burned. We were looking at the images on an AdobeRGB capable screen - not just sRGB when we compared.

Also - modern lenses are often so incredibly well corrected concerning spherical aberration that the look of them suffers and becomes sort of sterile and unnatural - at least for my eyes. I often introduce various forms of blur in my digital images in post to compensate for that.

And yes - my next camera will be large format film, maybe an Arca Swiss F or a Chamonix 045F1 - not sure how much comfort I am willing to trade for weight in the moment.

Cheers
~Chris
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:55:03 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »
Pages: [1]   Go Up