Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 1459 times)

utahmike

• Aspengrove Labs, LLC
Introductions
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »

I'm new to the forum, and I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michael Clark, and I live in Salt Lake City, UT. I'm excited to see medium-format discussions here. I have a Phase 1 IQ180, with both a Mamiya 654 and an Alpa 12 TC. I probably shoot more with the Alpa, but I don't ignore the Mamiya by any stretch.

Photography is a hard-core hobby for me - through I've sold a few pieces here and there, and find the idea of selling prints on the side to be one worth digging into a little. I'm interested in every aspect of the digital photography workflow - from expedition planning to printing and shipping prints.

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

-- Mike

http://www.aspengrove.com
Michael Clark - Salt Lake City

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:29:24 pm »

Great to have you here!

utahmike

• Aspengrove Labs, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:36:32 pm »

Thanks, Doug. Digital Transitions is my Phase 1 dealer.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 11:24:39 pm »

Hi Michael, and welcome to the forums!  And thanks for sharing your work!  Pick a topic you like and jump in, or feel free to start your own.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Hank Keeton

• SeeingTao
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:52:50 am »

Greetings, Mike!

And...welcome to our humble, informative forum.

It really IS a small world, isn't it? You and I met on an empty stretch of road on the southern Oregon coast, just south of Charleston/Coos Bay, on a narrow lane out to Whiskey Run Beach, last August. It was a rising-foggy day.....with the sun just beginning to dominate the sky.  I was perched on the side of the road imaging a lone tree immersed in gorse. You were on your Beemer-Bike...heading East from the beach.....on a leg of a major regional road-trip...from....was it Montana????...to San Francisco...and back through the arches-canyon country. You pulled-over, turned-around...and we chatted for a few minutes...as kindred spirits will, when encountered.

A hearty welcome to you!

Here's a link to another forum you might be interested in.  http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum. There's an active group in the LF world who delve (somewhat clandestinely...) in digital.

If you'd like to see the finished image of that tree I was having a relationship with....visit my website. I'll bet you will recognize it!

Cheers,

Hank
....always seeking.....

SeeingTao.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:03:43 am »

Welcome to the forums, and if you ever head towards Arkansas, give me a ping.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

utahmike

• Aspengrove Labs, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 12:04:51 pm »

Hank,

Great to hear from you! That was one of the best days of that ride. I actually went back to that day in my journal, and left it below. That day was one of the better of that ride - though anywhere along the west coast is stunning. The only camera I had on that trip was my Canon G1X - which is still my go-to portable camera.

It's great to hear from you and I look forward to getting to know you better!

-- Mike

To paraphrase Bugs Bunny; “Motorcyclist meet the most interesting people.”

After a bit of Google map exploration last night, I immediately left Hwy 101 to head west, for a ride down 7 Devils Road, closer to the coast and out of the traffic of the main highway. I motored along, enjoying the patches of fog, passing wild raspberry bushes and fields of hay. On a whim, I took Whiskey Run Road right down to the beach.

What awaited me was a one of those really special moments of having a wide, expansive and beautiful beach to all to myself. Sitting on a piece of driftwood, all I could hear were waves and seagulls. Not a human, or any sign of humans in sight. A truly spiritual moment.

After a few minutes of taking it all in, I walked the beach mindfully, looking for patterns in the sand and water. Whiskey Run Creek spilled out onto the beach and made its way to the ocean in ribbons; leaving beautiful patterns of sand as it disappeared into the surf.

Regretfully, I had to leave, and I suited up again. Not more than a quarter-mile back up the road, I spotted a gentleman setting up a medium format camera at the back of his car. I pulled over and we had a conversation. His name was Hank Keeton, and he was a local professional landscape photographer. As he put it, he made just enough money to keep his wife from kicking him out of the house. He and I spoke for 30 minutes about cameras, film, how digital sensors are constructed, the pros and cons of shooting medium format, and his love of shooting square (I suggested Instagram). It was one of those moments that happen only when you're open to what life brings you.

utahmike

• Aspengrove Labs, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 12:07:18 pm »

Will do, Paul, thanks very much. Same fro you and Utah.

utahmike

• Aspengrove Labs, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:08:07 pm »

Thanks, Mike. It's nice to meet you.

Hank Keeton

• SeeingTao
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 12:39:20 pm »

Ah...serendipity....'tis a wondrous drug! Our lonely-road meeting was memorable for me as well. Kindred spirits are hard to find.....requiring care to nurture.

I had de-mounted at the road's-end parking lot where you parked your bike...and meandered down the beach a bit...spotting you working those rivulets along the feeder-creek. You were in your bike-suit, so I easily made the connection between you and the parked-bike. There was only one other vehicle there, and by the looks of it...local in origin. As the fog tried valiantly to lift...I scurried back up the road to the spot near that gnarly tree...to see what I could see.

So...our adventures joined then...and are now reconnected. I enjoyed our earlier of-list email exchanges, and look forward to your postings here as well. I'm not much of a "joiner," so I don't often find time to interject....but I'll be watching for you here as well!

Cheers,

Hank
....always seeking.....

SeeingTao.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up