Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual Predicament  (Read 10396 times)

psbjjb1

Unusual Predicament
« on: February 01, 2014, 05:17:00 am »

I have an unusual predicament that I hope someone can assist me with.  I've been using a Canham MQC 5x7 for many years.  The lens I use is a "105 DEGREE F 5.6 /110 XL SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH SUPER SYMMAR ASPHERIC MC on a KB Canham lens board".  My problem is that I have had heart surgery and can no longer lug my equipment around.  I'm looking for a lightweight 4x5 body that will accept my pre-existing lens and board.  I also have a Toyo 120 6x7 back that I'd like to be able to use.  I had purchased a Cambo Wide 470, but sent it back.  The size, weight and ease in shooting were perfection, yet I could not use my preferential lens.  If anyone can give me some suggestions I would be enormously appreciative.  Thanks

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
Re: Unusual Predicament
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:46:34 pm »

Lightweight and 4x5 seem to be an oxymoron to me, big cameras, big lenses. Sell it all and get yourself a mirrorless camera, you won't even know you're carrying it.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:18:51 pm »

Well my little Anba "Wood View" 4x5 weighs very little and in spite of a rather shabby manufacturing quality does the job for just a few pounds.  I bought it in the 70's.  I carried it around with a few holders and couple of Super Angulons in the same bag I used for my Nikon kit.  Would never part with it, but they're still out there, along with several better built equivalents.

I used to use a 6 x 11 Veriwide with a fixed, 47mm Super Angulon, with a Leitz 100 degree finder.  Loved that camera, was so great for landscapes, about 100 degree FOV.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the fall off, which with artful printing actually enhanced the image, sorta.  Even Ken Rockwell likes it!

Now I'm into stitching DSLR and sometimes point&shoot shots.  I just pretend I'm out there in the field with a Cirkut Camera, the most useful cylindrical projection is the same.

Edit...was a 47mm Super Angulon on the Veriwide, not a 65.  Tried several times to find a working Veriwide, unfortunately the film advance mechanism is its Achilles heel.  There are more recent versions with heavier bodies, but the lightweight original was the sweetheart of the bunch.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:39:23 pm by bill t. »

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 04:13:46 pm »

I have been asking the same question (not with respect to a particular lens, though) about light 4 x 5 for hiking use. largeformatphotography.info forum members are very helpful. Recommendations they have made for new light (3.0 to 3.5#) folders are:

Chamonix wooden field cameras:
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

Toyo CF, the carbon fiber version field camera, as opposed to the heavier metal version:
http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/45CF.html

I have seen Shen-Hao mentioned also, and this camera is sold by Badger Graphics, the LF store:
http://www.shen-hao.com/PRODUCTS.aspx?i=169&id=n3  (all four models, lightest is ~3#)

Ultra-light monorails are harder to come by.

For used cameras - eBay seems to get the occasional Chamonix or Toyo, and there are other wooden folders out there eg Tachihara

Can't you just get another #1 board to fit whatever camera you end up with?

BTW I assume that you must really like your Schneider 110mm f/5.6 SSXL lens, which seems to be one of the "famous" lenses. It looks bigger than some others. If you wanted to use some other lens, maybe not quite as large an aperture or image circle, you might be able to shave half a pound off your kit. Kerri Thalmann has a list of lightweight lenses for hiking at his site. I am paying attention to this once I get the camera and start off with the abandoned lens from work, a 150mm Geronar, petite thing, weighs maybe 4 oz., price is right (rescued it from the dump).

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 04:18:35 pm »

In his later years, even Saint Ansel used two solutions to this problem.
1.   He had assistants carry his heavy equipment, and
2.   He used smaller cameras.

I used to use 8x10" and 4x5" view cameras regularly, but with age I gradually downsized. Now my "big" camera is a Canon 5DII and my "small" camera is a Canon Powershot 100.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DanielStone

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 05:09:15 pm »

check out Chamonix view cameras.

They have (2) 4x5 models, one w/ axis tilts f+r (045F1)
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/045F1.html

and one that is base tilts(rear) and axis tilts on the front(045N-2):
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

Great cameras, and build quality is top-rate. Definitely NOT "made in China" quality. Very good attention to detail/joinery. They also make BEAUTIFUL film holders, easily the best *wooden* film holders I've ever seen.
Albeit, a Chamonix 4x5 is not quite a Linhof Master Technika in terms of ruggedness or "built like a tank", but is designed to be much lighter, and has more lens extension capability than a Technika too.

they come up semi-regularly on the used market, although the brand new price isn't all that bad, considering the quality that you get(IMO).
I owned one(045N-2), but sold it when I stepped up to shooting 5x7(previously 8x10 and 4x5). I now use a Deardorff 5x7(but also w/ a 4x5 back on occasion). Much heavier than the comparable Chamonix models, but I don't mind the weight myself.

Chamonix would be the first place I'd recommend looking if you're after lightweight + LF

*both Chamonix 4x5 models accept Technika-style boards as their default*

cheers,
Dan
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:15:41 pm by DanielStone »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 07:00:11 pm »

I would consider the Japanese brand Ebony, their cameras are IMHO the nicest out there and on the light side also.

Build quality defines the high end standard, assymetric tilt and non folding designs make them super fast to operate in the field.

I own a 45SU and used the 110mm XL a lot on it, it is a match made in heaven.

Nowadays I get higher image quality and a much more streamlined workflow with stitching on my D800, but still use the Ebony with a Betterlight back and love the experience. My 110 XL died unfortunately.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:38:13 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 12:19:08 pm »

I have an unusual predicament that I hope someone can assist me with.  I've been using a Canham MQC 5x7 for many years.  The lens I use is a "105 DEGREE F 5.6 /110 XL SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH SUPER SYMMAR ASPHERIC MC on a KB Canham lens board".  My problem is that I have had heart surgery and can no longer lug my equipment around.  I'm looking for a lightweight 4x5 body that will accept my pre-existing lens and board.  I also have a Toyo 120 6x7 back that I'd like to be able to use.  I had purchased a Cambo Wide 470, but sent it back.  The size, weight and ease in shooting were perfection, yet I could not use my preferential lens.  If anyone can give me some suggestions I would be enormously appreciative.  Thanks

Easy: a Canham DLC 45 II: http://canhamcameras.com/DLC2.html

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 01:40:28 pm »

If you can find one, the Wehman cameras are very light.
Rolleiflex USA

Fine_Art

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:28:45 am »

It's sad to separate a pro from their well known gear. What about something like a shopping buggy with replaced large pneumatic tires? Maybe add mountain bike shocks. Wheels over 1ft diameter would roll smooth over semi-rough paths.

You still have to haul water, food, etc, which may be heavier than the camera. Put a cooler in the bottom!

MrSmith27

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 11:19:42 am »

Lightweight and 4x5 seem to be an oxymoron to me, big cameras, big lenses. Sell it all and get yourself a mirrorless camera, you won't even know you're carrying it.

Excellent idea. Pretty much the camera world equivalent of telling a foodie to ditch that Michelin guide and get a Subway club card.  ::)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 01:00:05 pm »

In his later years, even Saint Ansel used two solutions to this problem.
1.   He had assistants carry his heavy equipment....

That's what I need with my Mamiya RB67 backpack and tripod.  A camera bearer.

Michael N. Meyer

• Michael Nathaniel Meyer Freelance
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 04:40:57 pm »

I used to have a Chamonix 45N. It was a good camera, though getting everything plumb could be hit or miss. It was definitely light and folded up compactly.

You might look into the Fotoman cameras. The 45PS has rise/shift but no tilts. There is a helical mount for the 110 mm focal length. fotoman.cc

NancyP

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 05:57:32 pm »

An unusual solution I have seen is the pack animal. Some LF photographer over on LF Forum uses llamas, I believe. These double as wool and milk producers. I have a mental picture of someone using one of the dog packs (usually for kibble and water) for film cassettes - going along the trail with your Great Dane, the 10 cassettes and ancillary gear (and a little kibble)  in the dog's saddlebags, the camera in your own backpack. Just don't let the dog lovers see you.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 11:49:43 am »

just saw this..seems to be lightweight 4x4 Toho:

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=1500752

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 12:44:15 pm »

Re: Toho
I just took delivery on a (used) Toho 4 x 5, my first foray into LF, and I see it as a sturdy basic "idiot-proof" field monorail. It is surprisingly light and small. It is most likely to be the only ~3 pound monorail out there. It is a simple set of milled aluminum dovetailed pull-out rail plus standards, with some zero marks but no indents. Tilt and swing are zeroed by feel, no marks there, but since the parts are nice and squared, it seems pretty easy to get part A's edge parallel to part B. There is plenty of range in the movements. It does base tilts. Controls are simple friction controls - nothing geared on this camera, aside from a brass fine focusing gear track. The bellows/ground glass/lensboard holder unit mounts on the standards by one of two sets of dovetails corresponding to the shift clamp on the standards. Get your clamps loosened, slip in bellows in the orientation you want, tighten clamps. You can't rotate your ground glass while fully assembled, you need to loosen clamps, remove bellows/etc  unit, rotate 90 degrees, re-insert into clamps. The seller changed the ground glass/ fresnel arrangement, so I haven't seen the original. Funky round lens boards. The whole unit seems maintenance free and sturdy. You might have to work a bit if you ever need a new bellows - this is a discontinued camera from a no-longer-operating manufacturer, and you might need to get custom work done.

If you are the sort that likes markings on the rail, to help in speedy setup, there's a user out there who glued a metal centimeter ruler on the rail side.

Now I just got this Tuesday night, so I have not had the chance to take it outside. I don't have the lens in hand yet, I am going to find and use an old 150mm copy stand lens from work that I salvaged from being dumped.  (Geronar 3 element lens - it will give me a feel for using the camera, and isn't too bad stopped down).

NancyP

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 02:08:02 pm »

PS. Another reason I haven't taken the Toyo outside is that the temperature was in the single digits F yesterday. I foresee making a pair of thin gloves part of the LF cool weather kit. 

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 08:11:58 pm »

Excellent idea. Pretty much the camera world equivalent of telling a foodie to ditch that Michelin guide and get a Subway club card.  ::)

Poor analogy. Foodies consume, chefs create. Just like photographers. Would those foodies rather carry their guide on their smartphone or bring the book?

I also have to wonder if a chef would haul his Sub Zero and Vulcan camping or just cook a great meal over an open fire?
Pages: [1]   Go Up