Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you feel about the HP Z3200 44" printer vs a 44" Canon or Epson?  (Read 8573 times)

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: How do you feel about the HP Z3200 44" printer vs a 44" Canon or Epson?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 01:37:04 pm »

From who did you receive notice? They are wrong, for at least the US market. HP has a part number for their 3 year nbd support for the entire Z3200 line:
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3269423

Directly from HP Brazil, where I live. Everything here was more or less synchronized with the HP US: printers announcements, printers retirements (including the retirement of the PCL version), the removal of the dual cartridge packages from the market and so on. Maybe this time things are happening a bit faster here.

Earlier this month I received a notification from HP saying they would not renew my extended maintenance plan, a plan they sold me and agreed a month earlier but haven´t billed me yet. At the time of the renewal the clearly stated that the PCL version would not be covered anymore, but as mine is a PS model they would still renew my contract, which now they are refusing to do. We are in the middle of a legal struggle about that and I believe they will be forced to renew it this time, but they clearly stated that they are in the process of retiring this printer worldwide sooner or later.

About the so called "B" version, I heard from an experienced technician that it is exactly the same, the only changes being the manufacturer brand and type of some internal parts, with no impact whatsoever on the printers behavior.

Best regards.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 04:26:37 pm »

The firmware upgrades are different for the A en B models .............

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 11:35:29 am »

Maybe this time things are happening a bit faster here.

It is certainly possible, even likely. Brazil has a population that is roughly 2/3rds that of the USA. HP would know what their sales are. After my last post I checked a little further and found that HP has service packs available in the USA as noted previously for up to 5 years. They are pretty spendy, but it would cost HP a lot more than the cost of the contract to break one.

Earlier this month I received a notification from HP saying they would not renew my extended maintenance plan, a plan they sold me and agreed a month earlier but haven´t billed me yet. At the time of the renewal the clearly stated that the PCL version would not be covered anymore, but as mine is a PS model they would still renew my contract, which now they are refusing to do.

In the service contracts I found for the USA, the Z3100 all models and the Z3200 all models are supported. You probably did this but I have to ask: - did you see if HP has contract part numbers listed for Brazil? I don’t mean a renewal contract, which may be a different HP part number. Of course HP could be dramatically reducing the availability of support for that entire continent. If their accountants show it isn’t worth their investment, they will understandably run away like a scared cat. I read somewhere that HP has been dropping a number of models throughout South America and your report is suggestive of that trend.

About the so called "B" version, I heard from an experienced technician that it is exactly the same, the only changes being the manufacturer brand and type of some internal parts, with no impact whatsoever on the printers behavior.

The experienced technician I spoke with stated the printer went through a redesign. There are indeed a number of different parts in the B series. But what you wrote in the paragraph above may also be correct. While the differing accounts we received may mean only that we shouldn’t take the word of experienced technicians for these things, I looked around for parts and indeed there are several different part numbers for the B series compared to the A series. To that end, one of the changes was for the power supply and another for the logic board. It may be the case that the B series printer went through a value engineering process. These are sometimes done to improve reliability and to lower cost to the manufacturer. As Ernst noted, the firmware employs different code. That said the performance specifications for the 2 models are similar.

Some Guy

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:14 am »

When I was at the Canon dealer I was sort of surprised the Canon rep mentioned Canon was shooting at HP sales and not Epson.  Canon was looking to make more inroads to the architectural printing and HP was in their way.  Don't know why they don't see Epson as any threat; maybe they clog too much, service is too expensive, and Canon has a feeling they can't overcome that?

No matter to me as I cannot get a 24" inch anything into my house without busting out a wall.  That or toss an A/C unit into the garage along with the printer.  Damn old narrow 22" doors built for 1950's thin people instead of current obese wide-body 2014 types!  ;)

SG

rolad

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:12 am »

guy, fear not... ;-) it should be possible to massage an HP 44 inch 3200 into your home: the printer itself can be separated from the stand - then tilt 90 degrees - if i remember correctly the printer "body" is only approx 15-20 inches high...

btw - had a 3200 ps 44'' myself for 3 years - GREAT machine for occasional use - never clogs (mine was in storage for close to a year - all it took was some 20 minutes of initialization / head cleaning and it was up and running again), and as others mentioned extremely frugal on ink, very neutral BW & top overall print quality, although seemed to be susceptible to scratching and slower than the others.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »

Great responses guys, thanks!
Has anybody seen a good deal on an HP Z3200 44" printer lately?

I found a used Z3200PS 44" (and a bunch of paper) for $1,800.  It had about 50 prints on it, and had been sitting in storage for a year.  New heads were cheap, HP gave me a new warranty, and the printer is exceptional.  I also have a 9900 and a 7900.  There are many, many differences between both the machines most of what you have already read here.  They both render great prints.  To me the biggest difference between the two is my state of mind considering owning/running/maintaining them.  

Have you ever owned a dog?  Amazing companions, a lot of work.  You walk them multiple times a day, feed them every night at 7pm and keep them entertained or they wreck your home.  Hands down that's my 9900.  The Z3200ps however, I do nothing more than put food and water out (leave it turned on) - it takes care of itself.  

Epsons are dogs, HPs are cats.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:12:03 pm by Eric Gulbransen »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 02:16:34 pm »

Nice analogy. Cat lover here. You should have mentioned the sound too.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

tsjanik

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 07:08:53 pm »

A naïve question perhaps.  I am considering purchasing a 44" printer.  Based on what I've read, Epson, Canon and HP all produce wonderful prints.  The internet is filled with sagas of Epson clogs (I have one upstairs myself right now), Canon is not complaint free either, but I've only found posts from satisfied HP users.
So the question: Why is Epson the dominate ink jet and HP appears to be a distant third?  Too few HP users to have many problems?  Most large Epsons are in a production environment and kept under a service contract, so a clog is Epson's problem?

Tom

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 02:31:08 am »

So the question: Why is Epson the dominate ink jet and HP appears to be a distant third?
I think the main reason is that HP management has been a succession of train wrecks for many years.  It's just a dysfunctional mess.  Fortunately, there are some very capable people below the senior management level that seem to do good work despite the circumstances they are given.

I'm another Z3100 user that's had nothing but good results with mine for six years of heavy printing.  I will most likely buy a Z3200 before too long, despite the allure of the Canon line, just because I don't want to have to sort things out for existing print editions for my clients with an entirely new line of printer.  I worked my way up as Epson grew their printer line from letter size, to tabloid, to multiple generations of wide format printers, and am 100% over the Epson experience.  Not enough competition makes for a complacent and apathetic company, and I think there is a level of f*ck you built into every printer they sell.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

dseelig

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 11:12:27 am »

I am an HP Z 3100 user. For me after my epson 7600. I am very happy it is so cheap on inks. The epson was like a vampire. Price per print means nothing how much ink it goes through just sitting around is the killer. If HP is done I am truly sad. It makes great black and white prints has the longest life. When this printer dies will go to Canon. The only problem m for me is it truly sucks with sheet paper.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up