Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you feel about the HP Z3200 44" printer vs a 44" Canon or Epson?  (Read 8572 times)

uintaangler

Thanks to all for the dynamic response to my previous query in this forum ( 44" vs 24" Printer )
Several members suggested that a sporadic printer like myself, somebody who could easily have 2/3 weeks pass between making a print, I would be happier with an HP because of a greatly reduced tendency for clogging.
Previously I hadn't even considered an HP, so I would like to ask, Is the HP Z3200 a good move for me? Any drawbacks I should be aware of?
Assuming I can find an HP Z3100, would that be better than the newer Z3200?

Thanks,
Bob

felix5616

Re: How do you feel about the HP Z3200 44" printer vs a 44" Canon or Epson?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:37:50 pm »

I have a Z3200 44". Never failed in 4 years, frugal with ink, prints beautifully, especially B+W and has never clogged despite 3-4 months of disuse. Sheet loading takes getting used to, but works fine. Somewhat slow, not a problem for non commercial use. Love being able to create my own profiles.

uintaangler

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:44:18 pm »

How easy is it to create paper profiles?
Does it work for any major brand of paper?
Thanks.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:02:51 pm »

^Very easy to create paper profiles. Install the paper and run the routine from the front panel or computer. Works with every paper and canvas type I’ve used.

namartinnz

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »

I'll 2nd the ease of use of the Z3200, previously having a Z3100 I was happy to do the upgrade. Also it has 6 user replaceable print heads that cost about $55 each, so on the rare occasion you might have a head fail it's dead easy to swap.

Neal

uintaangler

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:22 pm »

All things being equal - image quality, color management, etc - how does the Print Quality compare between the HP Z3200 and the Canon IPF6400?

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:02:11 am »

All things being equal - image quality, color management, etc - how does the Print Quality compare between the HP Z3200 and the Canon IPF6400?

HP has better print longevity, but a slightly smaller gamut.\

The Canon can handle thicker media and has better paper handling in terms of leaving wheel marks, etc.

namartinnz

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 05:11:54 am »

Put it this way, regarding colour on the Z3200, I've had no complaints from the photographers and artists I deal with.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 11:00:10 am »

I doubt anyone would be unhappy with the results from any of the top 3 wide format printer manufacturers. They all pretty much represent the state of the technology. My observation of printer choices made at LL is that they usually fall along the lines of brand familiarity, features, or lowest initial cost.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 11:33:18 am »

Having the Z3100 for 6 years now-
pro
prints are as beautiful as day 1
I had to do some repair work, If you are handy you can do it yourself and it will safe you a lot of money.
standard is the replacement of the belt ( 40$ but half a day work) - it has a lifetime of about 4-6 years depending on the use and climate.
No gloggs in 6 years- 2 printhead replacements. Uses very little ink to keep the heads clean...
prints a gloss vernish to have prints without gloss differential ; black and white  very neutral and extreme longlivety.-
contra-
Not all papers fare well on the printer... It seems to me papermanufacturers have Epson in mind when finetuning a paper.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

uintaangler

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:43:10 am »

Pieter,
Thanks for your response
I like Hahnemuhle papers and Moab papers - any feedback on how the HP does with those papers?
Thanks,
Bob

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 08:59:23 pm »

I am a very happy owner of a Z3200ps for the last four years in my printing studio, working every day with very few problems so far.
Although it has a slightly smaller color gamut than the actual top Epsons and Canons it is hardly noticeable to the naked eye. It is also the slowest printer in comparison.
On the other hand its advantages are significant (to my line of work):
- Integrated spectro offering easy linearization and profile generation.
- Best print longevity by far.
- No gloss differential and bronzing (thanks to the gloss enhancer).
- Absolutely neutral black and white out of the box.
- User replaceable (and not expensive) print heads.

Again, I am very happy with it.

That said, I must admit that I am thinking about buying a second printer and it will probably be a Canon IPF8400. The 8400 is newer, faster, with a slightly better gamut and come in a close second place in all the categories that are important to me. Add to that the fact that HP is removing the Z3200 from the market. I just received the notice that HP will no longer renew the extended warranty on the Z3200.
I will keep mine and pay for the repairs as long as they offer replacement parts, but I would not buy a new Z3200 today.

Best regards.   

shadowblade

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:58 pm »

They're retiring the Z3200? What will be its replacement for photo and fine art reproduction, using the full Vivera inket?

It's far too nice an inkset to be relegated to merely printing out blueprints in a commercial or industrial design role.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 11:19:21 pm »

They're retiring the Z3200? What will be its replacement for photo and fine art reproduction, using the full Vivera inket?

It's far too nice an inkset to be relegated to merely printing out blueprints in a commercial or industrial design role.

Apparently none. HP is a crazy messed-up company (with a few truly exceptional products) if you ask me!
As far as I could understand they are more focused on the "lower quality/higher volume" print market.
Surely that is a shame.

Best regards.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:21:59 pm by Geraldo Garcia »

shadowblade

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 12:21:14 am »

Apparently none. HP is a crazy messed-up company (with a few truly exceptional products) if you ask me!
As far as I could understand they are more focused on the "lower quality/higher volume" print market.
Surely that is a shame.

Best regards.

I hope they start selling bulk ink then (instead of just in cartridges) so that I can at least run them through Epson print heads without having to extract them from the cartridge via needle and syringe!

It's a good thing piezo heads are so versatile - you can even run the gloss enhancer through them, as a non-controlled channel. I do wish Epson would go back to using the non-clogging 180-nozzle from the 7800/9800 (just adding more sets of nozzles to support more inks), though, instead of the 360-nozzle design with more clogging issues.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:26:47 am by shadowblade »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:03:57 am »

I just received the notice that HP will no longer renew the extended warranty on the Z3200.

From who did you receive notice? They are wrong, for at least the US market. HP has a part number for their 3 year nbd support for the entire Z3200 line:
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3269423

If they list part number they will provide the support. In addition the Z3200 PS also has part numbers for the 24" and 44" PS models. HP has dropped the PCL series of Z3200 about 1.5 years ago, but the support part number noted above is valid for the entire Z3200 line. At around the same time that HP dropped the PCL series, HP did a major redesign of the Z3200 PS and refer to it as their "B" series of the Z3200 series. Due to this new "do" it represents the SOTA for wide format printers.

This is in the US market. I can't speak for their world wide distribution plans.

BTW, i've used well over 20 paper and canvas types with my Z3100 and never had a problem. For production I've mostly settled to a few paper/canvas types with my Z3200. The bult-in spectro has never failed to make a great profile for any papers i've used.

chez

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 10:28:40 am »

From who did you receive notice? They are wrong, for at least the US market. HP has a part number for their 3 year nbd support for the entire Z3200 line:
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3269423

If they list part number they will provide the support. In addition the Z3200 PS also has part numbers for the 24" and 44" PS models. HP has dropped the PCL series of Z3200 about 1.5 years ago, but the support part number noted above is valid for the entire Z3200 line. At around the same time that HP dropped the PCL series, HP did a major redesign of the Z3200 PS and refer to it as their "B" series of the Z3200 series. Due to this new "do" it represents the SOTA for wide format printers.

This is in the US market. I can't speak for their world wide distribution plans.

BTW, i've used well over 20 paper and canvas types with my Z3100 and never had a problem. For production I've mostly settled to a few paper/canvas types with my Z3200. The bult-in spectro has never failed to make a great profile for any papers i've used.

I find that is one of the benefit I enjoy with the HP printers. I can get any paper, take 1/2 hour to profile it and am ready to try it out in print. I too have experimented with many different papers, from canvas, matte to glossy finishes and find the profiles generated by the built in spectro are all excellent. What is nice is that new papers appear every year and I grab a small pack, profile them and try them out to see if I should switch from my current papers. Very handy feature.

uintaangler

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 10:40:07 am »

Great responses guys, thanks!
Has anybody seen a good deal on an HP Z3200 44" printer lately?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 12:53:23 pm »

Pieter,
Thanks for your response
I like Hahnemuhle papers and Moab papers - any feedback on how the HP does with those papers?
Thanks,
Bob

About papers it is something sensitive and personal.That said Gloss Enhancer does not work that well on many glossy (rag) papers.
I have not been doing tests with printers side by side- for I only have one...Z3100
Moab i do not know...
I like very much the combination HPZ3100 and PhotoRagBaryta from Hahnemuhle and then Black and White- it is my favourate.
The matte PhotoRag 308 for BW also looks great but is very sensitive to touch/scratch. (Maybe a shieldsrpay would help on this problem)
Weak point of the Z3100 are dark reds on matte papers...The Z3200 has different red inks and should be doing better.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mary K

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 01:31:21 pm »

I have the HP Z3100, and I have have few problems with it in the 7 years I have owned it.  I received an email from HP in January saying that they will not service the printer after December 31, 2014, and that I could not purchase a care pack for it after December 31, 2013.  I had called them in December 2013 to extend my care pack, but was told that I could no longer purchase one for my model. 

Anyway, I expect to purchase another large format printer in the next year or so, but I guess I'm going to have to go with Epson or Canon.  I'm going to miss my Z3100 when it is gone.

I've attached a copy of the brochure that HP emailed to me that lists all of the printer models that will no longer be serviced.  I do not see the Z3200 on the list.
Mary Konchar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up