Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma's Art Lenses and the SD1  (Read 4398 times)

BarbaraArmstrong

Sigma's Art Lenses and the SD1
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:17:41 pm »

Has anyone here used Sigma's Art lenses with the SD1?  I'm thinking particularly about the 35/1.4 and the 50/1.4.  How do these combinations compare with results from the DP2M and DP3M?  I'm frankly surprised not to have seen any commentary on this yet.  --Barbara 

The Ute

Re: Sigma's Art Lenses and the SD1
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:09:03 am »

Not exactly what you wanted but here is a comparison between the SD1 w art lenses vs. the 800E :

http://madshutter.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-saga-begins-sigma-sd1-merrill-vs.html#more

hope that helps.

:)

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 02:24:24 pm »

Thanks for the link.  Many have attributed the special qualities of the DP2M and DP3M files to the combination of their dedicated lenses and the Foveon sensor behind them.  With the same sensor in the SD1 (and SD1M), I was wondering if those same qualities of apparent high resolution and micro-detail are reached on the SD1 with the new Art lenses.  --Barbara

The Ute

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:07:18 pm »

you're welcome.

I think the answer is a resounding yes.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:20:18 pm »

I have seen impressive results from the SD1.

In terms of image quality, the launch price of the SD1 was not that crazy in a world where the best DSLR was the Nikon D3x at 7,000 US$.

It is pretty damn amazing that this very sensor can be had new in the DP3m im Japan below 500 US$!

Cheers,
Bernard

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 06:18:58 pm »

I got the SD1 as soon as the price dropped, and had the SD14 from before that.  What is "pretty damn amazing" is that with a flick of the IR filter from its holder/frame in front of the sensor, and addition of a visible-light-blocking filter in front of the lens, you can shoot infrared.  And, in about two minutes to reinstall the internal filter, go back to regular shooting.  For the infrared, with the visible light blocked, I throw a large black flannel cloth over my head/camera, and compose with the faint image that is then visible.  I've been enjoying the smaller Merrills, and am contemplating getting Sigmas' newest lenses for the SD1.  I frankly had been feeling that the smaller Merrills outshone their larger sibling with the lenses I already had for the SD1, and wondered if the Art lenses would be an appreciable improvement.  --Barbara

robdickinson

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 07:06:06 pm »

The launch price was insane and even sigma eventually realised.

You could have a mid range nikon that out performed it on almost every footing.

Fine_Art

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:35:11 pm »

Not exactly what you wanted but here is a comparison between the SD1 w art lenses vs. the 800E :

http://madshutter.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-saga-begins-sigma-sd1-merrill-vs.html#more

hope that helps.

Why does the SD1 have such massive hue shifts from shot to shot?
Pages: [1]   Go Up