Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus E-M5 firmware 2.0: the new 'ISO LOW' is a real ISO160  (Read 21518 times)

GLJ

Re: Olympus E-M5 firmware 2.0: the new 'ISO LOW' is a real ISO160
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 05:55:32 am »

One the em-5 image I will pull the exposure down and put more detail into the window because there is a lot more there, with the 1dx file, I will have to use a separate background plate I shot because the doors are devoid of detail.

So why can't you just dial in -ve exp comp on the Canon, and raise the shadows and mid tones in post?
That is pretty much all is happening with the Olympus cameras anyway. There's no 'magic' as such, unlike say something like a Fuji S5 where there is something clever going on under the hood.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Re: Olympus E-M5 firmware 2.0: the new 'ISO LOW' is a real ISO160
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 04:16:45 am »

Sorry to revitalize and old post but for Oly users could be interesting: I have repeated the test on my E-P5 and it behaves the same way as the E-M5. LOWISO produces 1/3EV higher RAW levels than ISO200 (in terms of RAW levels ISOLOW is ISO250).

Shots at the same aperture/shutter. Left RAW histogram, right camera JPEG:

For this reason, paradoxically the LOWISO camera JPEG has some highlight clipping while the ISO200 camera JPEG (brighter in shadows and midtones) has none.

This is probably how the strange LOWISO is implemented in all Olympus bodies.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:33:24 pm by Guillermo Luijk »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up