Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca RM3di: French Flag or Compendium Shade  (Read 3691 times)

JamesJetel

Arca RM3di: French Flag or Compendium Shade
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:17 am »

Hi fellas,

Anyone have any recommendations for a good flare solution on the RM3di? I've looked into the Arca Compendium, and the "Flarebuster" arm. Hoping someone can save me some headache. I'd prefer the flag.

Best,
JJ

JoeKitchen

Re: Arca RM3di: French Flag or Compendium Shade
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:49:10 am »

What lenses are you having problems with?  I have the compendium and it works well with focal length of 55 and higher.  With wide lenses, it is very hard to get ride of some flares without the compendium cropping into the image, especially if you shifted laterally.  For this situation, I would use the arm. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:59:28 am »

The Arca Compendium was way to narrow for me, as Joe mentioned already, great from 55mm and up.

The Lee wide angle hood is a great solution.  It works on the Rod 28mm Schneider 35mm, 43mm, and Rod 40mm.  All of these lenses expect the Rod 40mm take a 72mm wide angle adapter ring from Lee (Schneider assumes physical CF installed).  The 40mm Rod is 67mm.

You can even use the wide angle hood with one filter slot with no vignetting issues. 

I switched to the Lee hood about this time last year, and love it.  Built quality is very good only issue to me is how the hood attaches to the wide angle adapter rings.  This needs to be a locking screw not the pressure sensitive push that Lee uses.  It's too easy to inadvertently hit the release and the pressure it has is not enough.  I devised a way to help keep it locked down in the field that helps a lot by running a thick rubber band around the entire assembly, holding the release in place. 

In use with me with rm3di, and most of my Nikon lenses great that it can move between platforms.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JamesJetel

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:37:58 am »

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

I'm using the 55 a lot these days for my interiors stitching about 60% of the time. I do pull out the 35XL as well, and am looking to acquire the 43. The Lee hood sounds like it may work, however, I'm not thrilled about the prospect of having to keep tabs on even more small parts, adapter rings and perhaps a rubberband. I would like to see a shot of your setup if you have one handy and would oblige.

The other question is that of lens switching, which makes the flag a much more attractive option. Have either of you worked with an item you would recommend?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:04:06 pm »

One thing about the Lee system.  If you use a sliding back, and therefore are not using the extender ring with the 35XL (lens board mounting directly to camera), the Lee adapter ring sits too close to the focusing ring of the camera and keeps you from being able to cock the lens.  Quite annoying; I have given up on the Lee system due to this.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:10:42 pm by JoeKitchen »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:28:06 pm »

Joe,

Good point, I forgot about that, as the tolerances would be way to close.  I should have qualified, I am not using either the Arca Sliding back or the back rotation device, both of which require the removal of the extension ring and with the 35mm that doesn't leave too much room even with a CF on .

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:25:04 pm »

The flarebuster works ok when it's not too windy, when it is I just shield the lens with my hand.
I've never found a proper spot to attach the arm on the rm3di though, I clip it to the ball head instead.

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:37:50 pm »

The flarebuster works ok when it's not too windy, when it is I just shield the lens with my hand.
I've never found a proper spot to attach the arm on the rm3di though, I clip it to the ball head instead.

What about the Sinar Artec Lens shade. You can vary the degree of shading on all 4 sides, which is useful when using shift and rise.

I was going to get one but the maximum filter thread is around the 100mm mark. The thread on my Schneider 28mm xl is 112mm so instead I bought 2 dinkum systems sun shades. They are extremely rigid. I was using the flare busters but are pretty useless if there is any wind at all. One problem I have using the dinkum system is the clamps are quite large. I have the RL3D and mounted on an arca swiss cube. There are very few options for clamping the dinkum systems clamp onto anything. but like I said it's extremely sturdy and does not move once set. The arms are quit long but the whole lot breaks apart easily for packing into your bag.

Here's where I bought it.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:11:03 pm »

I have a much cheaper solution, mini spring clamps and Rosco Matte Black Cine Foil.  Carry a roll of that can help a lot, with several things.  

Actually I probably going to attach a pivoting spring clamp to a short rod that fits where the compendium rod goes to hold the foil. 

JamesJetel

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 04:35:50 pm »

Ah there it is! The Dinkum Shade looks perfect, thanks for that suggestion. I'm going to take a look at their options, if they have varying clamp sizes I don't see why I couldn't clamp around the grip. Rather, I hope they have options for the the attachments, if they have a 1/4" screw base then the world is my oyster.

To the point about cinefoil, I carry it onto every shoot, and it certainly works extremely well. However, I'm looking for something I won't have to micro manage - Once my camera is built I like to not have to fuss.

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 12:50:59 pm »

Ah there it is! The Dinkum Shade looks perfect, thanks for that suggestion. I'm going to take a look at their options, if they have varying clamp sizes I don't see why I couldn't clamp around the grip. Rather, I hope they have options for the the attachments, if they have a 1/4" screw base then the world is my oyster.

To the point about cinefoil, I carry it onto every shoot, and it certainly works extremely well. However, I'm looking for something I won't have to micro manage - Once my camera is built I like to not have to fuss.

Ya there are 2 clamp sizes. Both are large and strong. They would hold Saturn in place. Because clamping options are so restricted on the arca swiss camera and head, I use the larger clamp to fix to the underside of the camera. That way I am free to use the camera movements at will. More important when stitching because even when you can clamp to the top of the camera initially, once you shift you will probably have to relocate the clamp which is mess. The large clamp could even support an umbrella if it was raining (only suitable if it's not windy of course) Also useful if you want to hold a torch to focus on something in low light. In both cases you clamp onto the camera/head. Connect your arm attachment to it and a second clamp to the arm and off you go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up