Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 44" Printer or 24" Printer?  (Read 11989 times)

uintaangler

44" Printer or 24" Printer?
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:59 pm »

I own an Epson 3880 and have been very pleased with both ease of use and print quality
Increasingly, I find myself tempted by the thought of making larger prints
Obviously, the financial commitment required to step up to a good 24" printer is about half of the cost of moving up to a machine capable of making 44" prints.
Since I can currently make 17" x 22" prints in the 3880 - is stepping up to 24" wide enough or does 44" make more sense.
Based on what decent framing costs, I have a hard time imaging that I will be doing very many 44" wide prints

A little background…..
** I am a hobbyist, not a professional
** I have sold a few prints locally and would love to sell lots more prints
** I shoot with a Nikon D800, so I suspect if I have my technique down, I should be able to get files good enough to print at 44" wide
** I don't really have room for either in my home office, so either way it looks like this machine will reside in the basement

Thanks,
Bob

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
Re: 44" Printer or 24" Printer?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:42:08 pm »

24" is small and the printer size isn't that much different - go with the 44". You can always get a 24" roll and print smalller but not the other way around.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:57 pm »

If you would "love to sell more prints" then the answer is simple: 44".

My first printer was a 24", because I could not imagine every needing anything bigger.  My imagination let me down.  Every subsequent printer was a 44" and  the next one will be 60".  I sell at art fairs and galleries, where framed pieces in the 30" to 50" high range (by 2 or 3 times as wide) outsell smaller prints by a very big margin and are much more profitable than smaller ones.

There are many posts on this forum from those who bought a 24" and then immediately wanted a bigger printer.  And the other way, too, but the preponderance of the anecdotes regret not going for a 44.

Random fact: one of the main things that wears printers down is the change in direction at the edges of the roll.  That stresses the printhead carriage drive mechanism more than merely moving along in the same direction  If you gang up many prints on a single 44" roll, you get a far smaller number of changes in direction for a given number of prints.

The main downside of a 44" is that you can't just go knocking off small prints at any time.  You can either gang up several prints on a wide roll, or load a smaller say 13" roll.  Either way it's more work and complexity than using a smaller printer.  You need to develop a kind of multitasking approach to printing, where you work on many images at the same time.  That can be a little uncomfortable at first.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:45:17 am »

This is one of the easiest questions asked on this forum.  If you have a place to put it, and can afford it, get the big one.  I like leaving generous margins around my prints, and that is made possible by the larger paper sizes.  Also, if you might ever want to do canvas, you will need those extra inches. And seeing a gorgeous print roll out of a 44" printer -- !!   (But just to warn you about its imposing size, my friends think it looks like a tanning bed, and at just over six feet wide, you can see why that is the reaction.)  The Canon is on wheels that move it very easily on a smooth floor whenever that is necessary.  Speaking of where to put it, I knew someone who had it in the middle of the space between his living room and dining room.  It's worth finding a space for it! --Barbara

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:39:11 am »

Like Barbara I know of an installation where a Canon 8300 serves as a room divider in a 2 room bachelor apartment, and the space is better for it.  There are even some Home Depot ferns snuggled up against it.  You don't need to get behind it, so you can also push it up against a wall.  Other than that, it is bit on the huge side.  For almost 3 years now mine has worked perfectly in a space that fluctuates between 20% humidity (winter) and 70% humidity (evaporative cooled summer), and a wide range of temperatures.  It is also rained on by flakes of Gatorfoam particles and an occasional dusting of varnish overspray.  And it's quite close to a kitchen. No matter, it's perfectly happy and seems insensitive to such things.

You should have no trouble getting 40 x 60 inch prints from your D800.  On the condition that your originals are very sharply focused and properly exposed.  For most types of media anything above about 180 camera pixels per inch of print will give you a sharp looking print if your original is sharp, and you do reasonable post processing so as to not lose what you start with.  With careful upsizing, it gets even better.  If you want dazzlingly sharp prints, you can shoot stitched panoramas where you join together several side my side images (in Photoshop for example) to get a single high resolution image.  It's not hard to 1/2+ gigapixel images that way.  Two row, camera-vertical stitches with a D800 yield 300 camera pixels per inch of print at over 40 inches high, and those prints simply blow people away with the detail, assuming the right type of subject and presentation.

The one BIG THING about large printers is that unless you use them fairly often, you face the possibility of exquisitely annoying nozzle clogs that will degrade your prints.  There are a few posts on LuLa about that, ahem.  The 8300 is better than the Epsons in that respect, although that is just one of many issues that differentiate those and other printers.  For instance, the 8300 doesn't handle sheets as well as the Epsons, it's much more roll-oriented.

Unfortunately, you are coming into this at a time when there are no big promotional printer sales going on.  Usually, towards the end of the year the manufacturers give heavy discounts (I bought my 8300 for $2195), and sometimes at other parts the year.  But we didn't see that in 2013.  Could be those days gone, dunno.  But you can talk to the sales people at various suppliers for heads-up tips on when those sales might pop up.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:03:48 am »

Add a program to print from that deals with the nesting of images on the 44" roll width and more features like borders. Several choices these days for Mac and PCs. It does not have to be a RIP, for the nesting task adequate cheaper applications exist.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:14:07 am »

From all of us that purchased a 24" printer thinking it would be wide enough only to get the 44" 6 months later.
Go with the 44"
One of the best deals around right now seems to be the Epson 9890 for around $3195.00 including a 1000ml of ink.
I think the 24" model is around $500 less then that.

BrianWJH

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 06:20:09 am »

Hi Dan, that's exceptionally cheap, I'd have to take a gun with me to get that pricing in Oz, 9890 currently $8192.00 USD and 7890 currently $4950 USD, not sure why there's such a massive price difference.

Brian.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:39:44 am »

If it was just shipping  you would think it would be cheaper?
Japan - USA 5500 miles.
Japan - Australia 4200 miles.
As we know a whole lot more going on.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:38:43 am »

If you can go big.  Plus 24 inch is very limiting for canvas especially if you want a gallery wrap.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:31:36 am »

I went with a 24 due to space constrictions. I still don't print with it often enough to justify the cost. But the alternative of letting someone else print my larger prints was unacceptable. YMMV.

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:48:09 am »

Hi,
If you are near Cincinnati I am selling my Canon ipf 8100 for $1,000. It works fine and has plenty of ink.
Mike

uintaangler

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 09:56:37 am »

Mike
That sounds like a sweet deal, but I am in Salt Lake City
Bob

Some Guy

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:22 pm »

I was looking to pick up a 44" (or was it a 60"?) Canon off someone's lease when they went bankrupt, but the thing is huge!  I found out they had to knock down a false wall to get it in the shop, and do the same to get it out.  Even the sales guy for Canon said they had problems getting one in an elevator once.  So I thought maybe the 24" would be better.  Found out I cannot get it through the doorway where I want it so even that "smaller one" got nixed, that or put either in the garage where I'd probably have plugged heads every three hours from heat.

They really need a way to make these things some sort of component system to deal with moving them around.  I don't know how you'd get a 44" into a basement without a lot of effort, or a winch and crane.  Once it dies there, then will a serviceman be able to come out too?  One on a display room looked the size of a double-decker casket.

SG

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 12:21:03 pm »

If you can afford the larger printer, have room for space it uses (and in some cases the added noise it produces), go for the larger one, but otherwise you will probably not be unhappy about the lower cost for ink and paper/canvas that comes with a 24” printer.

Also the inks produce a particular scent and bigger prints produce more of this scent; due to that detail, ventilation is not a bad idea.

JeanMichel

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 02:24:47 pm »

I have 24" 7890. It is large enough in my space. I would have purchased a 9890 if space had not been an issue. The cost of ink cartridges is the same for both models. Since I insist on printing myself, I limited myself to 20" prints, on occasion I would like to make larger prints, so I sort of regret not having purchased the 44" printer and modified my workspace.
Jean-Michel

chez

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 05:29:03 pm »

I was looking to pick up a 44" (or was it a 60"?) Canon off someone's lease when they went bankrupt, but the thing is huge!  I found out they had to knock down a false wall to get it in the shop, and do the same to get it out.  Even the sales guy for Canon said they had problems getting one in an elevator once.  So I thought maybe the 24" would be better.  Found out I cannot get it through the doorway where I want it so even that "smaller one" got nixed, that or put either in the garage where I'd probably have plugged heads every three hours from heat.

They really need a way to make these things some sort of component system to deal with moving them around.  I don't know how you'd get a 44" into a basement without a lot of effort, or a winch and crane.  Once it dies there, then will a serviceman be able to come out too?  One on a display room looked the size of a double-decker casket.

SG

I bought my 44" Z3100 2nd hand and had to help the fellow I purchased the printer from bring the printer down 2 flights of stairs. It took two of us and some squeezing, but we did it. Weight and more importantly, the bulk make it hard to maneuver around.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 06:43:04 pm »

Cry once and save lots of time & money. Buy the 44 from the git-go. You can alway just print 24 inch paper and it will open up more doors, especially if you are ever planning on printing to canvas or other specialty material.

I stared with 13, then went to 17, then a 24, now have a pair of 44 printers and a second 17. After the 17, I should have just bought the 44 and had been done with it!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

aaronchan

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 10:53:16 pm »

I have 2 sizes of printers.
If you like to print on canvas, go for the 44".
If you print on paper only, 24" is pretty much good enough for most photographer.

aaron

uintaangler

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 11:11:13 pm »

First off, thanks to everybody who responded.
I am very appreciative of the wealth of information you have provided me with  ;D
You have given me a lot to think about
It would help if could get another question answered…..
Having never done a print on canvas - what am I missing?
Seems this will play a part in the 44" vs 24" decision.

Bob
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up