Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Visualizer Beta (free, no registration required) - feedback requested  (Read 825 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

https://digitaltransitions.com/page/tech-camera-visualizers

I have added a beta of v3 of our visualizer and would appreciate any feedback. Please keep in mind I am not a programmer by profession, only by hobby and necessity, so there's a lot I cannot do. One big thing I cannot do is allow an arbitrary numerical input (e.g. a popup that asks you how many mm of shift rather than forcing you to 5mm increments) - I'm sure a good programmer could do that, but I've tried and I can't get it to work.

The main feature added is the ability to look at the results of a sensor with stitching. This allows you to answer a question like "how wide is a 60XL lens when doing a 3-shot stitch with an IQ260?"

This tool, as it is today, is a result of feedback generously provided in the past on this forum and on GetDPI. That includes feedback that said the tool should be free, and not require any form of registration to use - and so it is. We appreciate your previous feedback and hope you'll contribute more.

----

IMPLEMENTED IN V3 Beta
(1) stitching for 2-5 rows, and 2-5 columns of images
(2) vertical or horizontal orientation for single-shot and stitched frames

NOT YET IMPLEMENTED, but likely to be implemented in v3:
(3) basic statistics like resolution, and print size for selectable PPI
(4) when you click on the stitching button the popup will contain a graphical representation of the stitch you are asking for. For instance if you select [IQ260, 1 row, 2 columns, 20mm of shift, vertical] it will show the two overlapping vertical rectangles of an IQ260 and the resulting overlap and final, much like our existing Image Circle Visualizer.
(5) An option to select a lens rather than slide the lens into a specific position. This (I think) might be easier for some novice users as they'd see the name of the lens they want to use rather than just the focal length, and would set the ground work for future additions like DOF equivalency.

NOT IMPLEMENTED, and unlikely to be implemented in v3, but would be neat for next version:
(5) in the stitching popup where it will soon show the rectangles of the sensor positions with stitching [see #4] have a selectable image circle size or a list of lenses to select from with image circles pre-set. Thus allowing us to fully replace the Image Circle Visualizer tool, merging it into this tool.
(6) [panoramic stitching] rather than [shift stitching] where the camera is rotated rather than having the camera move behind the lens inside the image circle as with a tech camera or TS lens.
(7) automatic detection/notification when your shift is too large for the given sensor you've selected (i.e. you're trying to shift a 33x44mm sensor by 50mm which would mean a gap between frames)
(8 ) well formatted aspect ratio indicator along with other stats from #3. I could add something like "1.666:1.0" now but I'd prefer to wait until the next version and work out the code to format neatly like 3:2 and 5:4, which easy for preset sizes, but becomes more complicated when adding arbitrary stitching

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Very nice, Doug. As someone reading up more on tech cameras (Will be a few years before I take a plunge, though!), this is very helpful.

One request from my end, if that's at all possible (Probably not in this version, but maybe in v6? :D ). We've got shift covered now. Is it possible to do a "tilt/ swing" visualizer to demonstrate the DoF change with x degrees of swing/ tilt?

Thanks!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up