Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strap For OM-D?  (Read 13812 times)

lensjack

Re: Strap For OM-D?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 01:09:09 am »

it is not a good eyecup (may be it is if you have to wear glasses, but I don't)... too stiff, also makes the process of inserting of FL-LM flash a little inconvenient

More useful info in one sentence than in all four reviews I read. Thanks!

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 08:11:36 am »

I'm with ya, Roy. Everybody's in high dudgeon these days.

In this thread? I didn't notice any dudgeon at all, let alone the high kind. I didn't even see much debate, just people talking about their own personal preferences for camera straps.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:48 am »

In this thread? I didn't notice any dudgeon at all, let alone the high kind. I didn't even see much debate, just people talking about their own personal preferences for camera straps.
No, compared to lots of discussions this one seems pretty dudgeon-lite. All I meant was that for a peripheral component straps seem to generate more opinions than I'd expect. For me it's always been the general inconvenience and weight that's the concern when trundling about with cameras. In this respect the CC is, as I have said more than once,  quite amazingly convenient. For perspective I originally bought one of the Cotton Carrier flak-jackets which is complete overkill and an embarrassment to be seen in.

Speaking of which - embarrassment - some time ago I managed to buy a brand new "Gitzo" fleece for £59 (usually an absurd > £200 I believe). It's a magnificent thing to contemplate and although several times I've tried to count all the pockets, flaps and whatsits, I always run out of fingers before I'm halfway done. I'm waiting until I'm too old to care about my appearance before being seen in public wearing it. Occasionally I take it out of the cupboard and admire it: a genuine bargain, for a change, sort of.

Roy

Ken Bennett

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:45 pm »

I  long ago gave up caring about my appearance. Makes it easier to be a photographer, that's for sure.

bcooter

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »

I  long ago gave up caring about my appearance. Makes it easier to be a photographer, that's for sure.

I've never found the perfect strap, though I use the gariz leather one black for the gh3's, brown for the omds, though I'm having a leather worker I use, add some type of material like neoprene under the strap so it grips on the shoulder. 

I don't like carrying cameras around the neck, but on the shoulder you need some grip so they don't slip off.

IMO

BC

david loble

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:26 pm »

I've been using DSPTCH sling straps (dsptch.com) on 2 Fujis (X100S, XE-1) for about 9 months. No reason they wouldn't work on an Oly.
I like them because they are light, very flexible and long enough to wear diagonally. Reasonably comfortable in hot weather.

lensjack

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 09:23:44 pm »

Right you are. I should have said I didn't mean here. Lots of it all over so many boards regardless of topic. Here, if we sent out a search party hunting for dudgeon, we might never hear back.  :)

lensjack

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 09:37:47 pm »

I've been using DSPTCH sling straps (dsptch.com) on 2 Fujis (X100S, XE-1) for about 9 months. No reason they wouldn't work on an Oly.
I like them because they are light, very flexible and long enough to wear diagonally. Reasonably comfortable in hot weather.

David, thanks for the tip. I haven't seen these before. It looks like both the round and the flat cords attach to the camera easily, with none of the multi-loop threading typical of many attachments. Am I seeing that right? Do you have a preference between the round and the flat? (I think the Oly would take either.) How hard or easy would it be to accidentally open a clip and drop the camera? I saw one review of a different strap where the user said he bumped his hand against a clip, it popped open and his camera fell.

lensjack

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 10:24:25 pm »

RRS plate provides better grip (pinky finger has something to hang on) and adds some mass to the body, which shall a little reduce shutter shock... I also have the battery grip for E-M1, but then RRS does not make a good custom base plate for it, so I am rarely using it.

You were dead on about the RRS plate improving the grip. I put one on today. Just as you said, it keeps the pinky finger from slipping off. Perfect for my hands. Thanks.

BJL

sturdy wrist strap or hand grip For OM-D (E-M5)
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:17 am »

I have a related question: I want just a sturdy wrist strap or handgrip to attach on one side of my E-M5, maybe to one strap lug. (With a camera this light, I am happy to have it in one hand almost all the time, so my preferred "neck strap" is dropping the camera back into a camera bag.) Olympus has an accessory handgrip, but that needs the vertical grip, which I do not wish to burden myself with.

I do have a wrist-strap now, but it is a lightweight design intended for smaller cameras, so I would not trust it with a heavier lens like the 12-60/2.8-4 attached.

Are there good options? Do any of the systems discussed above cover this option?

Paul Sumi

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »

If you like a cross-body camera strap, I have been using BlackRapid's Metro sling with my X-Pro 1.

I don't own any of the zooms, but works well with the primes.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895525-REG/BlackRapid_rs10c_1a0_Metro_Sling_Camera_Strap.html

lensjack

Re: sturdy wrist strap or hand grip For OM-D (E-M5)
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »

I have a related question: I want just a sturdy wrist strap or handgrip to attach on one side of my E-M5, maybe to one strap lug. (With a camera this light, I am happy to have it in one hand almost all the time, so my preferred "neck strap" is dropping the camera back into a camera bag.) Olympus has an accessory handgrip, but that needs the vertical grip, which I do not wish to burden myself with.

I do have a wrist-strap now, but it is a lightweight design intended for smaller cameras, so I would not trust it with a heavier lens like the 12-60/2.8-4 attached.

Are there good options? Do any of the systems discussed above cover this option?

You might want to look at the websites for Optech, DSPTCH and Gordy's. I'm not in the market for a wrist strap yet, but I've been browsing those sites on neck/shoulder/sling strap recommendations from posters in this thread. Seems like among those three companies, there's something for everyone. Good luck.

lensjack

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 01:06:22 pm »

If you like a cross-body camera strap, I have been using BlackRapid's Metro sling with my X-Pro 1.

I don't own any of the zooms, but works well with the primes.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895525-REG/BlackRapid_rs10c_1a0_Metro_Sling_Camera_Strap.html

Thanks much, Paul. I considered this because I've been mostly happy with Black Rapid DSLR straps. I use the Sport for full-frame action shooting. The brad does a great job holding the shoulder pad in place. For my taste, anyway. I've been trying an RS-7 on my Oly to see if I might like the Metro. But I'm now thinking that for travel -- my primary Oly purpose -- I may prefer a lug-and-plate-threaded strap so I can pop the camera onto a travel ballhead without needing to remove anything. I'm leaning that way at the moment but as Lennon famously said, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."  :) So we'll see.

lensjack

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 01:11:46 pm »

Canon L3 neck strap.  It's just a simple fabric strap, nice and light.  I don't like straps that are too wide, thick, heavy, stretchy or rubbery.

Thanks. The only drawback for me here is that I'm intent on traveling with no brands visible in big letters. I put gaffer's tape over the logos on my camera bodies. It's probably excessive but the less attention I attract in some places we go, the better (another reason for leaving the full-frame home). Now, if you could persuade Canon to pay me for advertising their gear, we might have a game-changer.  ;D

lensjack

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »

I've never found the perfect strap, though I use the gariz leather one black for the gh3's, brown for the omds, though I'm having a leather worker I use, add some type of material like neoprene under the strap so it grips on the shoulder. 

I don't like carrying cameras around the neck, but on the shoulder you need some grip so they don't slip off.

IMO

BC

Thanks, BC. I'll take a look. Talk about first-world problems, what strap to buy has gotta rank right up there. But onward we stagger.  :)

Manoli

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:20 pm »

I want just a sturdy wrist strap or handgrip to attach on one side of my E-M5, maybe to one strap lug. (With a camera this light, I am happy to have it in one hand almost all the time, ...

Artist & Artisan.
Originally, for the Leica M's - they've never failed me.
Also their silk cord straps ...

www.artisanandartist.com/straps/index.htm
www.artisanandartist.com/straps/acam290.htm

BJL

wrist strap or hand grip _or_sling_ for OM-D (E-M5)
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 01:52:41 pm »

Thanks to Vladimirovich, Paul Sumi, lensjack and Manoli for the various ideas and links.  I think I have been persuaded to go for a sling instead of a wrist-strap, in the form of the Optitech Utility Strap Sling, after ruling out options that occupy the tripod mount, and ones with too low a weight limit for the 1.5Kg of my heaviest combo.

P. S. And Optitech's neoprene SLR wrist strap too, since their "uni-loop" system allows quick switching between the two (neck strap with heavy lens, wrist strap with lightweight kit?)

I guess I'm just too much of a high-tech guy to go for those elegant old-school leather wrist straps, but thanks for the suggestions anyway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:58:09 pm by BJL »

AFairley

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 02:01:15 pm »

The OMD is so light, I tend to carry it with a wrist strap when I am on a photo walk, I believe I am using the strap that came with my Sony RX100.  For times when I want the camera to be out of the way, I use a shoulder strap attached by a nano steel clip (http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/stainless_clips.html).  The strap I use is the old one that came with the Oly E-10 and E-20 -- a single piece of webbing widening to 1" at the center with a minimalist shoulder grip pad sewn in, pure function (but it will kill your shoulder with a heavier camera like the D800 + 24-70, though perfect for something like the OMD)  (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OLYMPUS-CAMERA-NECK-STRAP-Vintage-/251436483051?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3a8ac841eb#ht_207wt_1124)  They are rare as hens teeth, though.

Ken Bennett

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »

I have a related question: I want just a sturdy wrist strap or handgrip to attach on one side of my E-M5, maybe to one strap lug.

Check the Gordy's page. The neck strap I bought is very well made. The leather seems stiff at first but softens with use.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 06:17:07 pm »

The leather seems stiff at first but softens with use.
you can always oil it...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up