Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Strap For OM-D?  (Read 13830 times)

lensjack

Strap For OM-D?
« on: January 28, 2014, 05:00:07 pm »

If you are not using the strap that came with your OM-D, what are you using and why?

My EM-1 just arrived. I usually switch out any strap prominently showing a brand name unless there's no better option. In this case, it won't be a wrist strap because I will often shoot with the camera hanging at ab level. Anybody got an enthusiastic recommendation for all-day convenience and comfort?

Vladimirovich

Re: Strap For OM-D?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:14:27 pm »

If you are not using the strap that came with your OM-D, what are you using and why?

My EM-1 just arrived. I usually switch out any strap prominently showing a brand name unless there's no better option. In this case, it won't be a wrist strap because I will often shoot with the camera hanging at ab level. Anybody got an enthusiastic recommendation for all-day convenience and comfort?

http://optechusa.com/adjustable-connector.html + whatever strap you like from there

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:04:55 pm »

I put an Upstrap on all my cameras. Is that enthusiastic enough? :)  Love those things. The smallest one is perfect for a mirrorless camera.

I did try a Gordy's strap, in a very long 46" length, and it's nicely made but I can't carry it on my shoulder as it slides off. (The Upstraps never slide off.) If I wear a pair of Fujis around my neck, the Gordy's strap works well for the lower one.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

lensjack

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:46:07 pm »

http://optechusa.com/adjustable-connector.html + whatever strap you like from there

Thanks, Vladimirovich. Seems like a good start. I guess what I'm most curious about is what straps folks here are finding comfortable around their necks with these little cameras.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:45 pm »

Thanks, Vladimirovich. Seems like a good start. I guess what I'm most curious about is what straps folks here are finding comfortable around their necks with these little cameras.

optech has a number of straps that sit very comfortable on your neck - however do not underestimate how the straps attached to the E-M1 body... those connectors are really good...  as for the strap I use http://optechusa.com/straps/envy-strap.html

lensjack

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:01:47 pm »

I put an Upstrap on all my cameras. Is that enthusiastic enough? :)  Love those things. The smallest one is perfect for a mirrorless camera.

I did try a Gordy's strap, in a very long 46" length, and it's nicely made but I can't carry it on my shoulder as it slides off. (The Upstraps never slide off.) If I wear a pair of Fujis around my neck, the Gordy's strap works well for the lower one.

If I could see you turning cartwheels, that might seal the enthusiasm test.  :) Even though so many people love Upstraps, I'm not sure I want a shoulder strap. I have a head-and-hand tremor, and I've usually shot my little Canon G1 X hanging in front of me, where it's steadier than if I hold it to my eye. Also, during extended foreign travel, I'm wary of shoulder carry because of theft potential. When I travel with full-frame, I use a sling strap. It feels more secure. A full-frame body with an image-stabilized lens works fine for me at eye level. I'm trying now to figure out if IS in the E-M1 will allow me that luxury. Maybe I could use an Upstrap around the neck and switch to shoulder carry as circumstances (and paranoia) permit. Do you ever put those around your neck? Are they comfortable that way? Or strictly designed for shoulder use?

lensjack

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:07:56 pm »

optech has a number of straps that sit very comfortable on your neck - however do not underestimate how the straps attached to the E-M1 body... those connectors are really good...  as for the strap I use http://optechusa.com/straps/envy-strap.html

Good to know. Thanks. I'll take a close look. Does all that looping and threading required by so many strap makers seem incredibly outdated to anyone else? Wouldn't you think there'd be something secure that would instantly clip directly onto the camera? Rant aside, one obvious advantage of these over base-mounting sling straps is that when you want to quickly pop your camera onto a tripod, nothing's in your way.

Vladimirovich

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:40:25 pm by Vladimirovich »

lensjack

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:58:44 pm »

Aha! I see what you did there, V. Clever. It's the RRS plate, right? You like?

Vladimirovich

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:42 pm »

Wouldn't you think there'd be something secure that would instantly clip directly onto the camera?

simple swivel hooks, on GH3 - I replaced OEM lugs with small metal key rings with rubber o-rings protecting the body and simple swivel hooks are connected instantly...

Optech has connectors for swivel hooks = http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/utility-loop.html

Vladimirovich

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:03:24 pm »

It's the RRS plate, right?
RRS plate provides better grip (pinky finger has something to hang on) and adds some mass to the body, which shall a little reduce shutter shock... I also have the battery grip for E-M1, but then RRS does not make a good custom base plate for it, so I am rarely using it.

lensjack

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 10:14:48 pm »

RRS plate provides better grip (pinky finger has something to hang on) and adds some mass to the body, which shall a little reduce shutter shock... I also have the battery grip for E-M1, but then RRS does not make a good custom base plate for it, so I am rarely using it.

All helpful to know. Thanks. BTW -- since you've got this stuff wired -- is there a removable sheet of plastic film inside the eyecup and over the viewfinder? Or is it supposed to look cloudy? I haven't pulled off the eyecup to look closer yet, but holding it away from my eye, it looks kinda filmy in there.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:17:25 am »

Yes, I wear the Upstrap around my neck, too, and it's reasonably comfortable. The only thing it doesn't work well for is the wrap-three-times-around-the-wrist technique because the rubber pad isn't flexible enough.

I have back and neck issues (something about 30 years of carrying cameras) so I prefer to keep weight on my shoulders or, better yet, my hips. The little mirrorless cameras have been a Godsend.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

lensjack

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 03:39:51 pm »

Yes, I wear the Upstrap around my neck, too, and it's reasonably comfortable. The only thing it doesn't work well for is the wrap-three-times-around-the-wrist technique because the rubber pad isn't flexible enough.

I have back and neck issues (something about 30 years of carrying cameras) so I prefer to keep weight on my shoulders or, better yet, my hips. The little mirrorless cameras have been a Godsend.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Know whatcha men re neck and back issues. I took up photography in retirement, but over the years had many friends who were career shooters lugging heavy gear, and paying a physical price. I've been shooting lately with Canon 1-Series. I love the gear, but by day's end my neck is stiff and my lower back tight, even with only a 70-200 f/2.8. When my Oly arrived, I was slack-jawed at how light it feels for such a solid build. I keep picking it up just to re-experience that amazement. Hoping to start shooting with it by the weekend. It's complex little sucker, but that's exactly what I wanted -- plenty of config options.

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »

I've used OpTech straps for about 15 years. Never really understood why straps always generate so much debate. These days I principally shoot an EM5 so weight isn't really an issue and these straps are almost overkill.

I'm usually sporting a backpack of some kind and I've found that using a Capture Clip
https://peakdesignltd.com/store/?c=clips&utm_source=home&utm_medium=mainmenu&utm_campaign=home
makes straps an afterthought as the pack's shoulder strap bears the weight except when actually shooting. Another advantage is that even an FF body carried in this way is quite stable rather than bouncing about against the body.

All in all the CC is actually the most useful, best value, photographic accessory I've ever bought - by some margin.
Roy

Vladimirovich

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 05:50:05 pm »

is there a removable sheet of plastic film inside the eyecup and over the viewfinder? Or is it supposed to look cloudy?
honesly I do not recall any plastic film over EVF - but then may be it was there... I replaced the cup with another part from Olympus and I do not have it cloudy... may be you managed to get some skin oil on it somehow ?

lensjack

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 07:52:15 pm »

Never really understood why straps always generate so much debate.
Roy

I'm with ya, Roy. Everybody's in high dudgeon these days. Nikon vs. Canon, PC vs. Mac, etc. Seems like the Net is overrun by 12-year-olds. Maybe it's the same kid everywhere, and he types really fast.  :) Anyway, the Capture Clip looks cool. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

lensjack

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 08:02:23 pm »

may be you managed to get some skin oil on it somehow ?

Very possible. In fact, that's what it looks like -- a slightly oily surface. I've asked Olympus. They will probably send back an email that starts, "Dear Greaseball..."  :) Are you using the EP-13 eyecup? B&H shows only three reviews, two reviewers like it, one was disappointed. Is it better at locking out light for you? Do you use it with eyeglasses? I shoot left-eye. Might try it.

zlatko-b

• http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 08:04:34 pm »

Canon L3 neck strap.  It's just a simple fabric strap, nice and light.  I don't like straps that are too wide, thick, heavy, stretchy or rubbery.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:18 pm »

Are you using the EP-13 eyecup?
it is not a good eyecup (may be it is if you have to wear glasses, but I don't)... too stiff, also makes the process of inserting of FL-LM flash a little inconvenient
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up