Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another 4900 horror story  (Read 55634 times)

JeffW

Re: Another 4900 horror story
« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2014, 06:09:43 pm »

It is interesting, that after a little research, I found that what I was pointing to is not the actual decompression pump itself. When I turned that knob I go no change in values in the service program. The decompression pump is actually just below that knob. I turned the decompression pump and did manage to get two seperate values in the service program. But does that tell me whether the pump is working or not, or that the pump is simply turning?

Is the decompression pump the one that they are having issues with? Not sure what this pump even does? Or how to check if it is working. Wow.

Roger_Breton

• Passionate for color
    • Color management, in french
« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2014, 06:24:18 pm »

I'll bet your pump still works. When you do a cleaning, do you see any ink flow out to the Maintenance Tank through one of the little clear plastic tubes located next to the pump?

JeffW

« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2014, 09:36:28 pm »

I tried a pair cleaning on Cyan / VM, both regular and powerful. These are the only two colors to show up so far. I did not see anything come thru the tube to the waste tank.

I wonder if I could use a syringe to create some vacuum when the head is against the capping / cleaning station?

Roger_Breton

• Passionate for color
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2014, 11:36:29 am »

First, do you see anything come through when you a cleaning on the other heads?

JeffW

« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2014, 06:37:48 pm »

Tried a clean all channels from the printer, not a single drop went through. Tried a nozzle check, no improvement.

Roger_Breton

• Passionate for color
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2014, 09:59:46 am »

Well, I had the impression, at the beginning, that not a single drop was going through my 4900's wate tubing. I can't tell you what it is. For me, the "magic ingredient" was, perhaps, the many removal and reinstalling of the head? Perhaps, if you remove the head once more, make sure you can inject piezo flush through each channel inport, and that you get a nice ribbon flowing on the other side. Then, I'll know you are at the same stage I was with my 4900 when none of my nozzles were showing on the test pattern. Look again closely at the tubing to see that they're actually full. Then, try an Ink Eject followed by an Ink charge. You're likely to get some errors in the process but it ought to get ink moving through the lines, if "all" is well. You can follow it up with a powerful clean. If the pump is "temporarily" out to lunch, none of this will make a difference on the nozzle check. But it will force some agitation through. My theory. Then, let the printer sit idle for a day or two. That other ingredient in the "secret of my sucess" was time, let whatever "gravity" and "physics" play its role. I wish you could simply swipe in a new pump to see whether you get any ink going through the waste line? Remember, I wasn't able to establish this, with my printer.

Roger_Breton

• Passionate for color
« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2014, 02:58:31 pm »

Update, after 100 days of having rescussitated the printer.

From March 13th to this date, Sept 13, I ran a nozzle check daily. Orange and VM have given me trouble. LK, LC too. But the printer has been most stable. Whenever I try a PowerClean on any pair, it has only made matters worse.

I have only done very slight amount of printing during that period. But I thought I reported on the surprising relative stability of the printer.

Roger_Breton

• Passionate for color
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2014, 07:23:06 pm »

Update Sept 14 2014

Needed to use the printer today. I started by running a printer characterization target, good-old TC3.5.
There were obvious streaks? So I ran a Nozzle Check. VM was missing a few lines right in the middle of the target?
I could not afford to wait. I knew I was playing with fire. So I decided to try a Power Cleaning on the Cyan/VM pair.
Obviously, it didn't help much with VM but it completely obliterated Cyan! No more Cyan. Thank you Mr. Epson.
From "experience", I knew the Cyan would come back, like the Yellow I completely lost a month ago.
So, I decided to run some random images, just to make the printer digest ink.
New nozzle check : no difference. Hmm?
Decided another Power Cleaning. Now, I was really putting my life on the line.
New nozzle check : no improvements.
So ran a few additional images.
At this point, I'm not sure whether I did a new Power Cleaning or just a regular cleaning?
But on the next nozzle check, Cyan was back! Not completely. There where some small lines missing here and there.
But it was encouraging. So I kept on sending a few additional images and, lo and behold, the Epson 4900 started to print like a champ again.

In french, I would say "J'ai eu chaud" ;-)

Roger_Breton

• Passionate for color
« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2014, 08:19:34 am »

Update Sept 15

Been printing a great deal, yesterday. Didn't touch cleaning or anything, just ran and ran and ran.
The appearance of the print was impeccable. I guess the secret to this printer is to keep it humming.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #229 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:20 am »

Yes, as reconfirmed so many times over by numerous users in the life history of this product. As previously advised, if you run into time periods when you don't need to make prints, make sure at least one real photograph, A4 equivalent size, that exercises all the channels are run through it every two to three days. A page filled with colour bars or patches would do it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up