Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Another 4900 horror story  (Read 55549 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Another 4900 horror story
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:21 am »

Andrew - anything that can script opening the driver and clicking on Nozzle Check and then closing the subsequent dialogues, would work fine.  There should be numerous utlitiies available for OS X that could do that running in some sort of cron.

Super easy! I built an Automator action to print a small target. The 'script' points to whatever document you want printed. I'll probably use a very small patch target I can read off my iSis so I can clean the heads and if necessary, measure the data.

Then one can trigger the event from iCal (Calendar). Very easy, very flexible.

The reason I suspect there is no HHC for Mac is it's totally unnecessary! The OS has all the tools built in. I was also able to get a 3rd party utility I use a lot (Hazel) to call the automator script too. But using Calendar would work for free but clog up your calendar with the event to print the target. I'll probably use Hazel. Here's what it all looks like:

Automator plus Hazel

Build the same Automator actions but save as a Calendar Alarm (you'll see the icon for this when you make a new doc in Automator) then access from iCal/Calendar:

Only issue at this point is the printer defaults to roll printing, I haven't figured out how to force it to sheet from the cassette. But I don't print rolls anyway, have a lot of paper I will never use so I'll stick with that for the time being. Even if I set the front panel for Sheet, the script somehow forces roll and there's an error. I suppose one could put cheap butcher paper in the roll and use that but I'd like to figure a way to use either path. But for now, the 4900 will clean itself a couple times a week at no cost for a software solution.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2014, 10:47:58 am »

Looks ingenious Andrew, but seems to mean you need to leave your computer on and alive - no big deal if you are around, but for absences of several weeks it would make me a bit uncomfortable. I like to shut everything down and not need to bother the Mrs about babysitting my office when I'm not here. That's why a device-based utility would be so much more elegant a solution - if only Epson would develop one.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2014, 10:54:10 am »

Looks ingenious Andrew, but seems to mean you need to leave your computer on and alive - no big deal if you are around, but for absences of several weeks it would make me a bit uncomfortable. I like to shut everything down and not need to bother the Mrs about babysitting my office when I'm not here.
Yes the printer has to be left on and thanks to others here I did so in the panel. You can still turn it off and the script will just not run (no harm, no issue). Plus I popped a KillAWatt on the printer. In it's awake but low energy mode (just sitting there), it uses a mere 6 watts which isn't bad. When printing it's far more and when cleaning heads, far more usage. So in the long run, having it on and print 2-3X times a week might save energy, ink and frustration in the long run.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2014, 10:55:43 am »

Yes the printer has to be left on and thanks to others here I did so in the panel. You can still turn it off and the script will just not run (no harm, no issue). Plus I popped a KillAWatt on the printer. In it's awake but low energy mode (just sitting there), it uses a mere 6 watts which isn't bad. When printing it's far more and when cleaning heads, far more usage. So in the long run, having it on and print 2-3X times a week might save energy, ink and frustration in the long run.

I don't have a problem leaving the printer on, especially as it will be automatically used. My concern is leaving the computer on during prolonged absence.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2014, 10:59:36 am »

I don't have a problem leaving the printer on, especially as it will be automatically used. My concern is leaving the computer on during prolonged absence.
I feel the same way. And the computer (my MPB) will be with me anyway. So I'll turn off the printer, ignore the script or turn it off. I'll see what Calendar does if the printer isn't hooked up but the event triggers itself. I suspect nothing, we just move along with our work. Hazel will probably pop a error in it's log, again it might not be something that disrupts you from home base. If I know I'll be gone for a week plus, I'll power down the Epson and suffer the consequences when I return (clogs). At least I don't have to use the (ugh) Windows laptop and buy another product, the Mac can do it.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2014, 01:14:42 pm »

My concern is leaving the computer on during prolonged absence.
PCs have a sleep mode and can be programmed to wake up from it and I'm sure that Mac systems have something similar.  The only thing you have to worry about is a power outage and if you have a sufficient backup power system that should be OK.  I have a Home Theater PC that is left on 24/7 but it's in sleep mode except when I watch TV, it is recording a show, or it needs to download updates.   It's been running in this mode for four months now without a single glitch.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2014, 01:17:03 pm »

The only thing you have to worry about is a power outage

Bingo - something one can count on these days.

tsjanik

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2014, 02:39:15 pm »

FYI: A video for cleaning 9900/4900 from Pro Digital Gear.  Basically involves unplugging the printer and parking the head over a Windex soaked paper towl.  Seems fairly risk free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU6PbizbKaw

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2014, 02:53:24 pm »

Seems fairly risk free.

Is this speculation, or actual technological knowledge about the eventual impact of Windex and its associated fumes on or in the print head?

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »

I tried the windex 'trick' and yes, I used the original Windex formula, and ended up with more clogs than before. Tried it on two separate occasions with the same results.  If you're going to use a solution you're probably better off with AIS's CLF007 or CLF007+. 
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2014, 03:42:08 pm »

you're probably better off with AIS's CLF007 or CLF007+. 

Is there professional validation (apart from the vendor) regarding the long-term impact of these solutions on the print head?

tsjanik

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2014, 04:28:12 pm »

Is this speculation, or actual technological knowledge about the eventual impact of Windex and its associated fumes on or in the print head?

I'm not advocating the method, simply supplying the information.  I would think that my use of "seems" would indicate a degree of uncertainty. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2014, 04:32:40 pm »

I'm not advocating the method, simply supplying the information.  I would think that my use of "seems" would indicate a degree of uncertainty. 

OK, thanks. That clarifies the status of the information.

I hope contributors will pardon me for being a bit sticky about the origins and authenticity of advice on dealing with these printers, but I think it is really important for readers to be clear about those matters - these machines are complex and expensive and we don't want to do things to them that could have longer term impacts of a kind that people who are not thoroughly trained in the technology may be unaware of.

BrianWJH

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »

Brian, you sound as if you are a person with a professional background in the technology of this printer. As you are offering some fairly detailed technical advice here I think it OK to ask about your professional expertise with this technology, or are you speaking from the experience of "informed and successful tinkering"? Just curious.

Hi Mark, I'm not an inkjet technician but have an electronics and software development background, my direct experience is with an Epson 7880 which sat broken for 8 months which I've restored to working condition.

Reconditioning required solving the current problems the OP has and clogged ink lines, replacement of clogged ink dampers, damaged CR scale and sensor replacement, replacement of all ink bay cartridge connectors, wiper blade replacement and required reassembly adjustments.

This project including study of Epson ink formula patents was carefully researched before work began.

I'm not advocating that frustrated owners with clogged machines jump right in and start tinkering; in the case of the OP he'd already started pulling the machine apart so I'm offering some guidance given my experience with my restoration.

You definitely need some technical skills or experience in disassembly and reassembly of electronic-mechanical machines or devices and the service manual.

Anyone without these skills (and patience) or with a machine still under warranty would be better served calling the makers service department.

Brian.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:08 pm »

That's pretty impressive, thanks.

tsjanik

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2014, 11:22:16 am »

My PK block is persisting and yet I can produce prints with no noticeable fault so I'm reluctant to try anything other than a simple clean.  I have found a number of references to using Windex or proprietary liquids such as AIS's.  It's amazing that after so many years of Epson clogs there is no consensus on how to clear the head.  If there is a reliable, safe method, one would think Epson would publish it. I tried a simple experiment last night: I allowed water to sit on an old print overnight and found water has no ability to solubilize the pigment; Windex, on the other hand, created a suspension of pigment from the print within 20 s.  Isopropanol and ethylene glycol (from antifreeze) solubilize the pigment but are slower than Windex.  I've found as many warnings about Windex as testimonials and other contradictory statements.  I wonder if anyone has tried a glycol?  Epson has a cleaning cartridge for the 9600 which contains a solution consisting mostly of diethylene glycol (based on the MSDS sheet).

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2014, 11:25:26 am »

It's amazing that after so many years of Epson clogs there is no consensus on how to clear the head.  If there is a reliable, safe method, one would think Epson would publish it.

Tom

I think that's the rub - there probably isn't. I would think Epson has no interest in perpetuating customers' misery if there were a better way-out than what they publish in the manual.

tsjanik

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2014, 11:49:26 am »

I suspect you're right.  Amazingly I can produce perfect test prints (including grayscale) with ~10% of my PK nozzles blocked.  I've compared to earlier prints and can see no difference.

davidh202

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2014, 11:53:52 am »

I'm really surprised the printer is allowing you to print without a message saying it needs to be cleaned and locking itself up from going further.

davidh202

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2014, 12:04:13 pm »

The reason why Epson does not condone or advise any recommended proceedures, is due to liability issues!These machines are very delicate  (especially the heads).
There are too many inept people who would mess the printer up and blame them!!
We have already heard issues with people attempting wiper replacements and not seating the wipers properly, which could easily damage a head.I have no doubt whatsoever that if Epson thought is was prudent to do self maintenance on these PRO machines they would have a section in the manuals on what and how to do it.

After the never ending 7900 thread by Eric, it became perfectly clear that some are lucky and most are not in trying to clear "clogs" .Every solvent known to the human race was discussed and tried. The problem which remains ,is being able to distinguish between a 'Clog' ,a 'Drop Out' or a 'Damaged Nozzle- head'

This issue continues to go around in circles ;-)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:09:33 pm by davidh202 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up