Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5.3 + Windows 8.1 Upgrade  (Read 2634 times)

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
LR 5.3 + Windows 8.1 Upgrade
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:29:57 am »

Hi,

I just want to share my latest experience with you I have made with a Windows 8.1 Upgrade (upgrade is important here) and Lightroom 5.3.

About a week ago I upgraded to Windows 8.1 64bit (via Win 7 64bit --> Win 8 64bit--> 8.1 as an entire upgrade process to save also all of my apps, which were lost without the intermediate step using Win 8). This was the first time I made an upgrade instead of a clean install. Everything worked fine, upgrade went +/- smooth, I saved an enormous bunch of time compared to a total new install.

Yesterday however when I worked with Lightroom--it was not the first time using LR after the upgrade--two curious things came up:

1. LR 5.3 was not able to copy and paste image settings
2. LR 5.3 did not read the printer drivers settings properly, except of the paper size eveything was ignored

I "solved" the first problem by reactivating LR 5.2, which did the job without problems. It even solved the problem for LR 5.3 which was now able again to do as intended.

The second problem again was not existing for LR 5.2, which read all the driver settings and let me make the print as intended. In LR 5.3 the problem was also solved for the printing presets I had just corrected in LR 5.2, but did not solve the problem in general.

What did I do? I re-installed LR 5.3 which now seems to work properly again.

There is nothing / nobody to blame here. Just in case some of you might entounter similar problems after having upgraded to the latest Windows OS this might be helpful.

Thomas
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:32:48 am by sm906 »
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

Rick Popham

• http://
Re: LR 5.3 + Windows 8.1 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:25:52 pm »

When I upgraded to to 8.1 (from a clean install of 8 on a newly built machine) it nuked the network connection to my 3800.  I had to reinstall the driver (a Windows 7 driver is the latest available for the 3800) to re-establish the network connection.  Weird things happen sometimes with these updates.  It's a good idea to perform them only when you have no pressing work to get done -- or to have a second working system to fall back on if you do.

I find myself conflicted about Win 8.  It's clear that a lot of work has gone on behind the scenes, so to speak.  It's very quick to boot, and seems to be very responsive.  It's the "in front of the scenes" stuff that drives me crazy.  I HATE the new interface which is fairly easily solved by using Classic Shell.  But sometimes I still end up in odd places with no idea how it happened, or how to close out of it.  I can't believe Microsoft thought this would fly.

egd5

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:06 pm »

As for getting out of many of those full screen frustrating things in Win 8/8.1, Try hitting Alt/f4. It will close most things. I guess this is an old keybord shortcut, but I never knew about it til I started searching for how to close things.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:36:15 pm »

OS upgrade migrations...JUST SAY NO!
Pages: [1]   Go Up