Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about moving my Canon 8400 to a different state...  (Read 1736 times)

mg73

Question about moving my Canon 8400 to a different state...
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:04:34 am »

I have a one year old Canon ipf8400.  We'll be moving from Boston to South Carolina this year and I'm trying to figure out whether it's best to sell my printer and just buy a new one down there or to pay to have this one shipped.  I still have the original cartridges in and they are all about half full.  I bought it about 8-9 mos ago new during the rebate promotion.

Here's my dilema:  in order to move and ship this unit, I believe I'm going to have to drain the ink out of the unit.  It's currently on the second floor of my house and will have to go down an angled stairway which will require having to stand the unit up on it's end to get it around the corner in the stairway and I think any ink in it would spill.  It was new when it went up the stairs, thus there was no ink in it.  So I'm figuring that draining and then recharging the unit would probably mean I would have to buy a new set of inks at about $2,000 for the set.  Then there's the worry about the heads making the trip to South Carolina without malfunction.  Then, it's going to have to be in storage for about 6 months until I can set it up again.  I'm thinking it might be better to just sell it and wait for a new promotion and then buy a new one.   Any thoughts?

howardm

Re: Question about moving my Canon 8400 to a different state...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:15:43 am »

there was a posting here a number of months ago about the same thing.  As I recall, the owner would rather have had root canal instead of having to move a large printer ESPECIALLY if it got tilted.  Not only was there $$$$$ lost in ink but there were also various 'parts' that needed replacing.  In the end, it would have been cheaper to sell it and re-purchase it.

smjphoto

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 04:27:42 am »

Too bad selling still requires draining the ink to get it down the stairs. ...shipping with the rest of your possessions doesn't seem like nearly as big a deal as getting it out of the house.
On the other hand, storing it might be asking for trouble. I believe the original charging only used about 20% of the ink. If you really still have 50% left, maybe you could drain it, and recharge it and still have 20 - 30% left and sell it. buying all new cartridges and selling it seems pretty costly. People never seem to valve the ink in a used printer at replacement value.

I assume there is no opportunity to use a second floor balcony or fire escape , etc. to get it out level. there are lots of portable lifts that can be rented for $200-300 that could safely move a printer from a second story. Also the printers will actually go out a pretty small window ( 30" x 24" ) if you can support the weight while doing it. Just brain storming...
good luck,
Stuart

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:41:31 am »

Print multiple copies of all your most popular photos in a variety of easy-to-sell, easy-to-store sizes (e.g. 20x30, 24x36, 24x30, 16x24, 12x36) , until the ink runs out. Then throw out the empty ink cartridges and move the printer as normal.

A pile of prints in conservation-grade folios is much easier to move than a printer full of ink.

smjphoto

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:50 pm »

The printer has a resovior of ink not in the cartridges. This is the problem. These will spill. You can't use this up. The printer will refuse to print and demanding new cartridges. You will still have to waste the stored ink.
Stuart

stevebri

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:00:51 pm »

Unless you buy a new printer you should consider wasting some ink and taking yours.  Buying a 2nd hand printer that has been hammered is difficult to spot.

FWIW I shipped and Epson 7800 (ink carts I know) from NYC to London, then again just outside London.

The thing just doesn't miss a beat, it's been upstairs, downstairs the lot and just 'keeps on truckin'.

If you have been really happy with your printer, then try to keep it for the sake of ink.

S

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:58 pm »

No choice but to "waste" some ink my removing the carts and flushing the lines. (Canon has info on this procedure, but you can always call and ask. Nice people to deal with and that's the perk of a Pro printer.) The other VERY important aspect is to remove the waste maintenance cartridge. THIS is where you're likely to encounter spillage since the rest of the ink will have been removed. Once done, it's not that big a deal to move. I assume you will remove the  printer from the stand. Personally, with such an investment, I've have a U-Haul for it and anything you consider too precious for the movers. I've made three moves with large format printers, all without issue, following the manufacturer's guidelines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up