Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New sony sensor of 30mp to be expected?  (Read 7816 times)

Theodoros

New sony sensor of 30mp to be expected?
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:07:37 am »

It seems that Sony released an MF 33x44mm image size Cmos sensor for use on MF cameras, that will be shared among most MF makers. It also seems that this sensor has been "tuned" to retain the characteristics that MF users have been used at (Clarity, absence of colour shifts, colour accuracy)… It also seems that this sensor was specially designed for use with MF cameras and that its High Iso performance is restricted a bit lower with respect to current Cmos sensors used with DSLRs…
It is interesting that Sony didn't use an existing FF sensor and multiplied its size, but instead, they designed a completely new sensor for the task, which leads to the conclusion that special care has been given on this for the ultra demanding MF market.
I wonder, wouldn't it make sense if they crop it down to 30Mp-24x36mm in size and use it on FF DSLRs too? It seems that (other than ultra high Iso) this is the best Cmos sensor ever made… if only a bit costly. Would such an FF camera damage the MF market? …would it be a threat for Leica S and for Hasselblad H5D? Would people prefer it from the current solutions they have?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New sony sensor of 30mp to be expected?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:28:13 am »

The current crop of 36mp FF sensors is at least 2.5 years old in design, so isn't it only natural that a newer generation was used for the IQ250?

I guess that the improvements made to this design will be included in the next generation of FF sensors, but it is anybody's guess what resolution will be featured.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:49:56 am »

Nikon D4x or D5 has been "rumored" to be 50 to 54MP.  For over a year now.  I was having a bit of trouble seeing such a sensor but with the Phase One anno, it show Sony semi conductor has been busy for a while.  It's also possible Sony will bring out such a large MP 35mm camera to their line.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:51:12 am »

All Sony has to do is square the sensor to 35 x 35 and the have 54 mpixels

Theodoros

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:29 am »

Nikon D4x or D5 has been "rumored" to be 50 to 54MP.  For over a year now.  I was having a bit of trouble seeing such a sensor but with the Phase One anno, it show Sony semi conductor has been busy for a while.  It's also possible Sony will bring out such a large MP 35mm camera to their line.

Paul

Never heard of such a rumour, only some trolls in DPR (no surprise here) that multiply 24mp APS-c sensors up to FF size to invent a (ridiculous) "rumour"… Obviously, sensors can't be upgraded in format terms (they can be down grated though) meaning that an APS-c sensor can't work as FF by simply expanding its surface (the opposite can be done), because the angle that photons hit the sensor on larger area sensors increases dramatically outside the APS-c area.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 02:52:11 pm »

The current crop of 36mp FF sensors is at least 2.5 years old in design, so isn't it only natural that a newer generation was used for the IQ250?

I guess that the improvements made to this design will be included in the next generation of FF sensors, but it is anybody's guess what resolution will be featured.

Cheers,
Bernard

the d800 sensor is old, the a7r sensor is a new design and one generation younger. you cans see this (beside the slightly bett image quality) in the much better live/screen view. it doesnt produce so much read out heat.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:22:57 pm »

the d800 sensor is old, the a7r sensor is a new design and one generation younger. you cans see this (beside the slightly bett image quality) in the much better live/screen view. it doesnt produce so much read out heat.

Possibly, but it doesn't seem to result in higher image quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

robdickinson

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »

A7r raws are compressed that could suck some IQ out.

But in reality CMOS Bayer sensors are almost as good as they will get.

Sony have solved the read noise problem, we have plenty of resolution, efficiency is over 50% microlens architecture is mostly sorted etc. It doesnt leave a lot of wiggle room for step improvements.

We need new sensor tech like forveon or something to really move on.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »

All Sony has to do is square the sensor to 35 x 35 and the have 54 mpixels

And the perfect sensor for my dream camera: A small, fixed lens digital TLR.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:21 pm »

Never heard of such a rumour, only some trolls in DPR (no surprise here) that multiply 24mp APS-c sensors up to FF size to invent a (ridiculous) "rumour"… Obviously, sensors can't be upgraded in format terms (they can be down grated though) meaning that an APS-c sensor can't work as FF by simply expanding its surface (the opposite can be done), because the angle that photons hit the sensor on larger area sensors increases dramatically outside the APS-c area.

I would hate to think I am being called a troll. 

Actually Nikon rumors has made monthly statements in regards to a follow on 54MP camera for Nikon.  Sony rumors has also.  I realize these are "rumors" however if you take a breath for a sec, you might realize that most of what they say comes about.  Rumors are leaked for a reason. 

Try a few searches for 54MP and Nikon, and or Canon, or Sony, see what you get.

Paul 
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

robdickinson

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »

Tell that to Canon Rumours who have had a 100-400 mkII being released 'soon' for 8 years...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 07:13:35 pm »

Tell that to Canon Rumours who have had a 100-400 mkII being released 'soon' for 8 years...

Lenses are a lot less predictable because every single lens can be compared to a camera line.

So Canon has 5-6 camera lines and probably 50-60 lens lines. Prioritization is

Now, you have a point, Canonrumors has been reporting fake high resolution sensor based camera rumors every 6 months before major photographic events for more than 2 years... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

robdickinson

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »

Most manufacturers bring out 2 or 3 SLR bodies a year, these lines are well defined and quite understood.

The rumour sites could (and do) write endless bullshit over these models, so what if they get the details wrong? Still drives traffic , generates revenue. Which is their purpose.

LKaven

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:46:09 pm »

When Sony was making APS-c sensors at 16mp, they came out with the 36mp sensor, exactly 2.25x the 16mp layout.  I suspect there are some factors to consider that do not scale cleanly, so having a design that works at a particular component density is an achievement one might replicate on a larger wafer.  Rumors of a D4x with such a sensor based on the 24mp APS-c component layout have been around Nikonrumors for over almost two years.  True. 

That being said, I am not expecting a 30mp full frame sensor.

Theodoros

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 02:57:27 am »

When Sony was making APS-c sensors at 16mp, they came out with the 36mp sensor, exactly 2.25x the 16mp layout.  I suspect there are some factors to consider that do not scale cleanly, so having a design that works at a particular component density is an achievement one might replicate on a larger wafer.  Rumors of a D4x with such a sensor based on the 24mp APS-c component layout have been around Nikonrumors for over almost two years.  True. 

That being said, I am not expecting a 30mp full frame sensor.
Similar pixel density count has nothing to do with same sensor expanded in area, the 36mp FF sensor is a completely different sensor than the 16.2 mp APS-C one... not even pixel size matches, nor pixel depth neither micro lenses design or thickness of "walls" between pixels.

LKaven

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 05:52:09 am »

Similar pixel density count has nothing to do with same sensor expanded in area, the 36mp FF sensor is a completely different sensor than the 16.2 mp APS-C one... not even pixel size matches, nor pixel depth neither micro lenses design or thickness of "walls" between pixels.

I didn't suggest that there wouldn't be changes to the design.  I suggested that aspects of the design were scale optimized.  I don't think it's a coincidence that 36 = 16 * 2.25.  But that doesn't mean I think they used exactly the same design.

Theodoros

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 07:08:29 am »

I didn't suggest that there wouldn't be changes to the design.  I suggested that aspects of the design were scale optimized.  I don't think it's a coincidence that 36 = 16 * 2.25.  But that doesn't mean I think they used exactly the same design.
There are no changes to the design… IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SENSOR, the area factor of FF is 2.35xAPS-c not  2.25X… That's why D800 ends up 15.5MP when used on APS-C crop factor, while D7K is 16.2… even more, the depth of the well and the design of it also differ. It doesn't work like that: "Aaaah similar (close) pixel size, hence same sensor multiplied!!!"… D800's sensor is a design from scratch to solve FF problems of receiving the photons correctly.
The fact that ALL makers use the same design approach on their sensors and develop on it, is "technique" that they develop, it doesn't mean that sensors are related more than what is called "family resemblance", neither "family resemblance" has anything to do with pixel size…, it exists between Sony's 24mp and 36mp FF sensors just the same. Certainly though, there hasn't ever been an APS-c sensor that its area has been multiplied to create an FF sensor, nor there will be one in the future from any maker!!!

Theodoros

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 07:35:40 am »

Most manufacturers bring out 2 or 3 SLR bodies a year, these lines are well defined and quite understood.

The rumour sites could (and do) write endless bullshit over these models, so what if they get the details wrong? Still drives traffic , generates revenue. Which is their purpose.

Sure… however, I believe that's easy to differentiate between "Official" rumor sites and trolls that "create" stupid rumours out of their minds. How many cameras would a D4X sell? …would 10000 annually look sensible? Is there any maker that would make a sensor to be produced for only 10000 units annually? The 1DX sensor (which is the lowest production in the market after the release of Df) is for more than 50000 cameras annually. If a D4x would ever be released, it would either use D800/E's sensor or (maybe) a crop version of 30mp (as suggested in the O/P) of the MF sensor… Besides, is there anybody who believes that people that buy these cameras have (more) pixel density as a priority? Despite the fact that (more than todays) pixel density would lead to less sales, discussions about the matter only come from people that are not the possible customer for the product they talk about.

LKaven

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:02 am »

There are no changes to the design… IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SENSOR

Apparently, you are in violent non-disagreement with me.

LKaven

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:19 am »

Sure… however, I believe that's easy to differentiate between "Official" rumor sites and trolls that "create" stupid rumours out of their minds. How many cameras would a D4X sell? …would 10000 annually look sensible? Is there any maker that would make a sensor to be produced for only 10000 units annually?

There have been rumors of a Sony 54MP sensor for some time now, published both at SonyAlphaRumors, and here.  One supposes just as the D3x sensor was co-developed along with the A900/A850 sensor, it might be true that the D4x sensor fundamentals would be shared with other cameras, perhaps after a period of exclusivity.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up