Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD drives in RAID 0 - worth it?  (Read 2960 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
SSD drives in RAID 0 - worth it?
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:07:03 pm »

In theory, 2 SSD drives in RAID 0 will be about as fast as you can get. But, can the typical interface really make use of the speed? I am talking in this case about the on-board RAiD interface in a Dell workstation. Would a single SSD be just as fast, or almost as fast?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: SSD drives in RAID 0 - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:09:19 pm »

Depends on your controller, but generally a stripeset should speed it up considerably.
Most controllers still outperform a single SSD.

Lightsmith

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 08:33:12 pm »

I use two 2.5" microdrives setup a RAID 1 on my Mac Pro workstation for all my active working data. I use these to hold by working data as one drive can fail and the data is retained on the other drive. RAID 0 should not be used for anything other than a scratch disc as it double the odds of losing your data with a drive failure. On SSD there is not going to be a performance gain and SSD is fast for reads but not for writes when dealing with large blocks of data like a camera image file.

For batch processing I have one drive for the OS and applications, the two RAID 1 drives for my working data, another very small drive for the scratch drive, and another drive as the output drive. When doing batches of 2500-3000 files I get more than adequate performance. Backup is to a 4 disc array set for RAID 5 over a 1GB Ethernet connection.

The Mac Pro workstation made this easy to do but my next workstation will not be from Apple. I cannot justify the $2200 premium charged for the Apple boxes and I dislike the way the OS is not maintained for older machines. My current Mac cannot use the current OS release and without the current release I cannot use the latest video cards and without the latest video cards I cannot use the latest displays. I can either spend $3000 on a new Mac or spend $800 on a HP or Lenovo tower with Windows 7. 

There is a point of diminishing returns where the perceived bottleneck is actually not the bottleneck or any improvement will be trivial in terms of the overall operation. I ran compilers on computers that took 12 hours to run and then with faster computers I got it down to 30 minutes and then to 60 seconds. No reason after that to go any further as it really did not matter. In some ways it was better when the compile took 30 minutes as I got a break from the computer.

jduncan

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:31:20 pm »

In theory, 2 SSD drives in RAID 0 will be about as fast as you can get. But, can the typical interface really make use of the speed? I am talking in this case about the on-board RAiD interface in a Dell workstation. Would a single SSD be just as fast, or almost as fast?

In general I am not a fan of RAID 0. The fail of any of the disk can render the array unusable and you will not be able to recover the data.
Now if it's for a scratch disk it can help a lot.

With a good controller dual SSDs can get you from  600MB/s to 1+GB/s .  I am talking about internal configurations.

A different option is a good PCIe based SSD.

Finally if it's for media you may want to evaluate a disk based external RAID array. They are fast and have far more capacity:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/product-review-promise-pegasus2-raid/

You can go external with SSDs too and get very impressive performance (up to  1.3GB/s that is gigabytes )
http://www.barefeats.com/hard179.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/storage-flash-thunderbolt-lacie-little-big-disk,25671.html

I like the pegasus for performance, but some people like the Arecas more.

Best regards,
J.Duncan.

english is not my first language, an I k
Pages: [1]   Go Up