Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9880 borderless problem  (Read 4215 times)

nairb

9880 borderless problem
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:14:45 pm »

I'm trying to do my first borderless print on my 9880 and I keep getting a "borderless error; incorrect paper size, please reload paper, reset and retry". I've tried this probably 10 times now with all the variations below and still no luck.

I'm trying to print a 44x86" image and am using the "retain size" option so I've sized my file to 44.25" as per page 90 of the manual.

I've tried adjusting the paper size in the dialogue to the exact mm (1118.0) instead of 44" (which comes up as 1117.6 or something) so that the paper size in the User Defined dialogue actually reads 44.02"

I've tried adjusting the length of the paper size to .25" shorter than the files size as well as 1" longer still no go.

I've tried adjusting the file width to the mm setting (in the chart on pg 90) of 1124mm as a 44.25" file size is actually 1123.7mm (according to the CS5 image size dialogue)

I've tried changing the margin settings on the printers menu from 3mm to 15mm to default with no luck.

Any suggestions? As far as I can tell I'm doing everything correctly according to the manual.

I'm using 44" Epson premium luster paper. I'm using CS5 on Windows 7 and have the latest printer driver and firmware as of August 2013.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:23:32 am by nairb »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: 9880 borderless problem
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:26:38 am »

When I print border-less, I take the print to the max width of the paper.  In this 44", check the border-less box in the driver and let the driver figure out the expansion.  I have never tried the retain option like you are using.  I also never adjust the expansion from the defaults.  You will lose just a bit of image but no more than about 1/8" of an inch combined on both edges. 

The bigger issue you may have is paper skew, as on my 9880's this pretty much made borderless a no go.  Skew never was the same but most times as much as 1/4 of inch. 

I am also a win7 user and printing from LR and CS3. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

nairb

Re: 9880 borderless problem
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:24:44 am »

Well it's finally started printing after hours of trying different file sizes and paper size settings.

I also found a 9880 FAQ page on the epson site asking about borderless printing that had a similar chart to the file size one on page 90, but this one had different values for the file size you should send and also includes a 4th column called "custom size ( with retain size)". The manual alludes to this third option but never mentions how or what to do. Which made the whole thing extra confusing. This FAQ chart was from dec 2007 according to the page, and it seems my manual was printed in September 2007, so it seems some changes were made. The PDF manual is the same as my printed one though. You'd think they'd at least update that.

In the end I found a dpreview thread about a similar error message when trying to do what I'm doing on sheet paper on a 3880, and several members said they'd some times have to reload the paper 10 times to have it aligned properly. So then your paper skew comment finally clicked and I reloaded the paper this time ignoring the roll paper alignment line on the printer, just pulled the roll tight so it would presumably feed as straight as possible. This got it to print straight away. Though when feeding it this way, the left edge of paper was right on the alignment line and the right edge was about 1/4" below. So I guess we'll see if it does in fact print straight.

I'd always assumed that once the paper takes up and the head measures its alignment that its doing so off the cut edge and not the sides of the roll, otherwise what's the point of having the horizontal alignment line. All my non borderless prints have come off straight relative to the roll edges and the cut edge in the past. So none of this is really making sense to me. Maybe it'll print all crooked this time.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:32:21 am by nairb »
Pages: [1]   Go Up