Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink cartridge error epson 9890  (Read 7648 times)

erdem_erismis

Ink cartridge error epson 9890
« on: January 25, 2014, 04:18:37 pm »

Hi,
I have an "Ink cartridge error replace ink cartridge" error on my 9890 printer.
This error message occurs when I install all 9 cartridges. The printer doesnt recognize the cartridges and display X for all slots on the display. When I remove one of the cartridges(no matter which one), the printer recognizes the rest. I tried to install them one by one but it didnt help. I always got the error message after the last one.
What may cause this? Cartridges are refillable ones but the chips are fine and working.

jschone

Re: Ink cartridge error epson 9890
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 04:30:58 pm »

Hi,
The connector (inside the ink slot) that reads the chip on the cartridge is broken.

BrianWJH

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 05:40:54 pm »

Not knowing the ink bay configuration for the x900 Epson printer range but assuming the actual ink cart connectors are the same type as in the x880 series printers then what may have happened is that the small contact assembly that contacts the ink cart chip may have lost one or more of the fine gold plated contacts into the ink bay floor.

Using a strong torch light look inside each ink bay at each connector and see if any of the gold plated connectors are missing (if same as x880 series then there should be 7 separate fine wire like connectors) if any are missing then check for what looks like a small gold 'paper staple' on the floor of the ink bay.

These are available for the x880 series printers but a quick search didn't find any for the x900.

HTH.

Brian.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:43:04 pm by BrianWJH »

erdem_erismis

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:16:10 pm »

Thanks for the answers, but the gold plated connectors sits on their places. Even if one of them doesnt function properly how can i understand which one is faulty? Because as i have told above the printer always reads the 8 of the colors and shows the correct amount of ink inside, but gives error message as i install the 9th.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:56:56 pm »

No matter what order you install the carts, you always get the error on the last insertion, regardless of which slot is last?  In other words, it's not confined to a specific slot?

If so, that sounds like it's not a hardware error.  Maybe a firmware re-flash will cure it.

If not, replacing the cart receiver is expensive.  If it's like my 9800, you'll need to purchase all the slots on one side. It's a single unit.

(edit) Oops, missed the part about third party carts.  Agree on testing with genuine Epson carts before proceeding.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:59:54 pm by Peter McLennan »

BrianWJH

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:07:22 pm »

Ok, if the ink levels are being correctly read then have these 3rd party carts been successfully used in this printer previously?

Have you tried removing the 3rd party carts and inserting genuine epson carts to see if the error persists?

Are you sure the 3rd party carts have had their chips reset correctly?

If the answer is yes to the above questions then you will need to look deeper into the problem either call an epson service technician or if you are technically confident then start checking the ink bay ffc flat ribbon cable connectors are seated correctly in both of the ink bays.

Brian.

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:42:29 pm »

The cart bays have two blanks where the Green and Orange carts would be in the 9900, since they are the same parts as the ones used in the 9900.  Make sure those are seated correctly.
 I  accidently banged the right side of the machine once with a chair which caused the right side bay to go out of alignment and I got that error ... a soft smack with the side of my fist to the side of the machine next to the cart bay fixed it. ::)
It has also been reported that a bad cart will cause this error.

David

erdem_erismis

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 11:54:47 am »

i am pretty sure the cartridges and the chips workk fine, i have a spare set of non used refillablel carts, they got the same error too.
empty slots dont have any connection to the board so that may not be the cause.
flat ribbon cable fits correctly.. also epson service man changed the boards of left and right side of the machine, that didnt work either.
i cannot update or reinstall firmware because the machine doesnt start withour all cartridges are fine. it gives the error message just before the air pump (compressor) starts working.
the epson technician is desperate because we have tried all possible solutions we can imagine.

davidh202

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:09:03 pm »

I distinctly remember a post about 5 or 6 months ago with the same problem and attempts at a fix ...
It turned out in the end he had 3 bad carts. How can you be sure those carts are good?

found it...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=56240.msg660896#msg660896
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:12:20 pm by davidh202 »

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 12:19:42 pm »

If you saved the 9 initial carts that came with the machine (as Epson recommends for moving, and I did) put them in and see what happens !
David

erdem_erismis

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 01:04:42 pm »

too bad that i didnt keep them.
i say i am sure because ive tried with 2 different refillable cartridge set. one of them is which i use for two months without any problems. and the other one is unused. but still there may be a little chance of faulty carts.
the problem first started when the epson technician removed the left ink bay to clean and check around for ink leaks which is totally a different problem. he have found nothing and assembled it again. then we faced this problem.

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 03:49:51 pm »

Is this machine under warrantee?
I'm curious as to where your located, and why you suspected ink leaks in the bay in the first place?
I have a suspicion (may be wrong), that you might have an incompetent tech, or one who is milking Epson for time and parts reimbursement !

Some Guy

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »

Somewhere in the past I thought I read the ink carts are all connected like the Xmas tree lights in series.  One goes bad, the entire string goes out and the printer is dead.  Maybe same for the carts?  Take one out, and the printer won't work.  Also, could be one cart's chip is bad too and is messing up that series string too.  I think I read about a couple of carts which are key, maybe a magenta and one of the blacks.  If the system picks them up as bad, it pretty much stops the printing.  I thought someone said the initial carts could not be below a certain level too as the chips would not work again at all if they did go too low.

You might have to try replacing all the carts with new OEM ones to sort it out.  Happened to me with a Canon when one cart's chip went bad.  Seems some of the Canon's only can be reset so many times (5?) before they stop allowing it and you have to use a new OEM.

SG

erdem_erismis

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 04:46:04 pm »

I live in istanbul/turkey. The machine is 3 months old but out of warranty because i used refillable carts and non oem ink. The technician has worked for epson in past. Our main problem is missing yellow channel. He checked many things including dampers and print head, then he wanted to see ink bay which was a bad idea. Now we have another problem. I wish i had bought canon or hp.

BrianWJH

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 05:13:28 pm »

the problem first started when the epson technician removed the left ink bay to clean and check around for ink leaks which is totally a different problem. he have found nothing and assembled it again. then we faced this problem.

How can you say that removing the ink bay to check for leaks is a totally different problem ???

The ink bays hold and connect the ink carts so there's a direct and critical connection to the correct operation of the ink carts.

Also you might have been more forthcoming with all information to start with so people in this forum could more accurately assess your issue.

I found your other Yahoo EpsonWideFormat forum postings which seem to start back on the 11th. of January with the following issue:
 "i own a 9890 printer for two months. although its new i am having problems with my machine. i am printing on canvas and self adhesive paper and i am using third party inks from the first day......"

Any Epson warranty with this printer may have been voided by using the 3rd party inks, depends on the policy of Epson in your country, if they are still willing to provide warranty then leave it up to their service personnel to fix or replace.

Brian.

BrianWJH

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 05:19:11 pm »

I wish i had bought canon or hp.

I doubt that would solve your issue as it seems that the 3rd party ink may have caused your issue and I would be surprised if either Canon or HP would honour the warranty under those circumstances.

Brian.

davidh202

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 06:37:20 pm »

I live in istanbul/turkey. The machine is 3 months old but out of warranty because i used refillable carts and non oem ink. The technician has worked for epson in past. Our main problem is missing yellow channel. He checked many things including dampers and print head, then he wanted to see ink bay which was a bad idea. Now we have another problem. I wish i had bought canon or hp.

I'd be willing to bet that the yellow cart is sucking air, not pressurizing or feeding the yellow ink feed line!,  the seals on those other carts may already be defective due to pulling them out and putting them back in too many times. If the carts don't pressurize, the dampers wont do their job either since no ink is flowing to the head where the damper could allow some bubbles to escape (if they were present in the first place).
Epson warns about bad cart seals because of frequent replacement of the same cart. This will lead to head damage and once that happens ...

Good luck !

davidh202

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:52:34 pm »

UPDATE PLEASE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up