Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show me high ISO noise  (Read 5560 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Show me high ISO noise
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 12:28:39 pm »

A fair warning, which is why I advise to use an incident light meter.
As did I in the test provided. I agree, that's the best way to measure what's falling on the subject, but how you interpret it, in my case setting a higher ISO but exposing as I did illustrates with this camera system higher ISO can produce less noise.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Vladimirovich

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 12:57:31 pm »

As a photographer, I am mainly interested in the end results and that is: prints.
so what ? are you implying that less noise in raw channels (what you can study/see with tools like rawdigger) will results in more noise after using the same NR in your software ? with raw files in place you can verify that images were in fact exposed equally, whereas JPGs are more like a guess game w/ mostly unknown parameters of raw conversion on top of that.... is it not ?

Vladimirovich

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 12:58:11 pm »

What is so difficult to understand?
undesire to show the source data  ;)

jerome_m

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 02:38:11 pm »

Vladimirovich, I extend the offer to you. If you need the source data, I will be glad to send the raw files to you. It is about 600 MB in total, 400 for the D800 and 200 for the H3D-31.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »

Vladimirovich, I extend the offer to you. If you need the source data, I will be glad to send the raw files to you. It is about 600 MB in total, 400 for the D800 and 200 for the H3D-31.

put them on dropbox!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

jerome_m

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »

Sorry, but I don't have a dropbox account and I have no interest in opening one. If someone wants something from me, I am pleased to oblige, but that person needs to give me an access to a place where I can upload the files.

I have already sent a few other raw files to Erik a few months ago. He gave me an access to an ftp server. To me, that seems the proper way to do it.

I would also like to remind you that, even if I am ready to hand out my files, I have no interest in dissecting raw files with raw digger. I have already tried that on my files and found the results of little interest. What I want here are results from the H4D-40, H5D-40, P40+, IQ140 or IQ250.

bjanes

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 05:00:11 pm »

Hi,

I would suggest that raw images need to be included.

Best regards
Erik

I second that opinion regarding raw images. One should expose such that the sensor saturation of the white square in the color checker is the same for each camera and this can be determined only by looking at the raw file. You can use an incident light meter, but different manufactures use different calibrations for ISO. PhaseOne uses a high ISO rating so that the images are actually underexposed. With the PhaseOne IQ180 set to ISO 100, DXO measures the ISO at 29. Exposure according to an incident meter would give an underexposed image. PhaseOne does this to give extra highlight protection. Presumably, in camera rendering of the JPEG or with CaptureOne would compensate for this so that the image does not appear dark. Camera Raw uses a baseline offset to take such differences of calibration into account.

Also the tone curve affects the values for the white and black squares. For example, with the OP's D800 image the white square is at an sRGB value of 206 and the black square is at 29. With the Hasselblad ISO 100 image the values are 197 and 18. According to Bruce Lindbloom's color checker calculator the nominal values are 242 and 49 for sRGB. Both images are underexposed and the SNR is reduced accordingly.

The Bank notes are good to show image detail, but this precludes the images from being opened in PhotochopCC. I had to use Nikon Capture to open the images.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:06:28 pm by bjanes »

BJL

Re: Show me high ISO noise (and Dropbox)
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 05:13:38 pm »

Sorry, but I don't have a dropbox account and I have no interest in opening one. If someone wants something from me, I am pleased to oblige, but that person needs to give me an access to a place where I can upload the files.
Since Dropbox accounts are free (for the first 2.5GB at least), and uploading is a simple drag-and-drop procedure, it seems an easy approach to making files (temporarily) available to other people, especially ones that are too large for email. You can remove files from your Dropbox space once the recipients have copied them.

For me, the fiddle and security issues of allowing incoming FTP transfers have been made obsolete by free drag-and-drop file sharing options like Dropbox. (Google Drive is similar, with the first 15GB free.)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 02:48:59 am »

Hi,

:-)

If you check these links, you see that there are no issues with shutter vibrations on the Sony A7r, just problems reported by untrustworthy tester with inferior tripods and mounting.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=86478.msg702411#msg702411

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=86478.msg702443#msg702443

:-)

This is the best I can do amongst a few tries on a decent tripod, so shutter problems are not a "Sony A7r only" feature

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up