Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to store massive prints?  (Read 4017 times)

shadowblade

How to store massive prints?
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:54:20 am »

I usually have prints made, matted and framed as needed, but, lately, I've found myself with an increasing number of valuable prints lying around and no convenient way to store them.

Does anyone have a decent solution for bulk storage of large prints (30x42", 26x66", 30x78" or even larger paper sizes)? There are too many to keep in proper conservation framing and I can't find mylar sleeves or acid-free storage boxes large enough to house the prints.

Also, given that prints should be matted for protection while in storage, can a matted print be later framed directly, or should the matt and backboard be replaced prior to conservation framing? Obviously, I would have to use buffered, acid-free mattes and backboards (I wouldn't want the prints in contact with anything else), so, if the storage matts/backboards need to be replaced prior to final framing, storage could get very expensive.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Re: How to store massive prints?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:02:29 am »

I've got the same problem. I was keeping them under the guest bed, but my cats kept running over them...
Certainly interested in any solutions. No, getting rid of the cats is not an option  ;D

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:09:41 am »

I've got the same problem. I was keeping them under the guest bed, but my cats kept running over them...
Certainly interested in any solutions. No, getting rid of the cats is not an option  ;D

You could try store them standing having them fixated between 2 thick cardboards or plywood, having them inside some sort of protective plastic bags.

nairb

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:35:49 am »

Why not look into oversized crystal clear bags and mount them to acid free foamcore or mat board with heavy duty photo corners. This is how I'll be displaying them in my gallery. I'm not sure at the moment how big the bags go but I've just recently got ones large enough for a 28x 40" size. I'll look once I'm at my desktop but I'd image they might go up to 40x60.

framah

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:43:00 am »

If you have a place to actually lay them flat for storage, then you buy some sheets of cotton rag mat board.. Rising mat boards come to mind..
They come in very large sizes... 48x96 is no problem here.
Cut them to a couple of inches larger than the largest print you might ever make and make portfolios with them, hinged at the back and then just insert your prints and they are safe.

As these are very large, you might want to mount the mats to a pieces of foamcore to act as a stiffener for each side. It will make opening or moving the portfolio easier.

Easy-peasy.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Larry Heath

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:06:03 am »

I use glassine paper from Uline, ( http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12942/Specialty-Paper/48-x-300-Glassine-Paper-Rolls ) it’s $80 plus shipping for a 48”x300’ roll, you can get 60”x300’ rolls as well for $117. Theirs is an acid free paper that has been used for years for interleaving in the book binding industry to protect bound art.

I have a few 4’x8’ work tables at my studio “second homes garage” a couple of which I made up with multiple sub-tables; I store larger stuff there, obviously flat interleaved with Glassine. I have also stored big stuff such as canvas and paper of other types rolled with glassine as well, no ill effects. Besides, glassine is useful for hordes of other things as well, and it’s reusable.

Later Larry

JeanMichel

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 04:38:24 pm »

Check with you local preservation and conservation supplier. In Canada, a good source is Carr McLean (carrmclean.ca). They carry Flat file cabinets (expensive) and much lower cost stacking trays from Safco. Large trays are 45.5 by 34". They may also have sources for much larger vertical storage.
Jean-Michel

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 05:59:08 pm »

I store my prints in large, flat files on my hard disc.  Just too dangerous to bring them out until needed.  But sometimes I get stuck with an orphaned print, so I mount it on Gator, and if it's lucky I cover that with a length of white butcher paper.  Lean it against a wall in the nearest convenient hallway or what have you.

If I'm really feeling slipshod, I may  use large binder clips to attach several prints stacked up on a single piece of Gator, leaned against the wall.  The rule is: no less than one binder clip per large print.  Makes for interesting spectacular meltdowns.

But orphaned prints are definitely on the don't-do list around here, along with leaning long thin sections of Gator vertically against the wall where they can slide sideways and dent or scratch the heck out of prints in progress.

shadowblade

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 06:24:55 pm »

If you have a place to actually lay them flat for storage, then you buy some sheets of cotton rag mat board.. Rising mat boards come to mind..
They come in very large sizes... 48x96 is no problem here.
Cut them to a couple of inches larger than the largest print you might ever make and make portfolios with them, hinged at the back and then just insert your prints and they are safe.

As these are very large, you might want to mount the mats to a pieces of foamcore to act as a stiffener for each side. It will make opening or moving the portfolio easier.

Easy-peasy.

This sounds like what I'll probably have to do, due to the lack of ready-made sleeves and folios large enough. Stored under the couch or bed, of course...

How do you cut 104" in a straight line? I don't think they make steel rulers that long.

Also, is it archivally-sound to mat the prints first for storage (using buffered, acid-free mat and back board, of course), then use the same mat later on for framing? Or would I have to replace the very-expensive mat in order to frame it?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 06:52:08 pm »

My basement was built with ICFs (insulated concrete forms).  As a result, I have hundreds of square feet of styrofoam walls and I just pin 'em up.  At least, I did until the cats realized that they can climb styrofoam walls just as easily as they climb trees. :(

I'm restoring an old blueprint file from an engineering office.  The drawers are 50" wide.  Perfect!  I got it for nothing from a garage sale.

Larry Heath

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 08:07:54 pm »

How do you cut 104" in a straight line? I don't think they make steel rulers that long.

Sure they do.

http://www.draftingsteals.com/21938.html

Not even all that pricy.

Later Larry

smjphoto

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:21 am »

I stock 32" x40" crystal clear bags, so I use one from each end for 40x60 prints. Works better than you might expect. For longer images, I think you could even use 3 . I wouldn't do this frequently, but it sure gives better protection than no sleeve.

I would be concerned with flat storage of stacked prints in mats on  backer board of mat board or foam core unless there is a sleeve or interleaving tissue used to protect the face of the print. I think the backer board would sag and touch the lower print. I prefer to mount and mat prints and stack them almost vertically using a stiff plywood or equiv. leaning against the wall first. Then cover with a protective foam core on the outermost print. I also worry about damaging large prints when i need to retrieve one of them from a flat stack of them flat together. It's much safer to handle them when each is on a backer.

I'd be interested to hear how you end up solving this.
Stuart

shadowblade

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:22:53 am »

I stock 32" x40" crystal clear bags, so I use one from each end for 40x60 prints. Works better than you might expect. For longer images, I think you could even use 3 . I wouldn't do this frequently, but it sure gives better protection than no sleeve.

I would be concerned with flat storage of stacked prints in mats on  backer board of mat board or foam core unless there is a sleeve or interleaving tissue used to protect the face of the print. I think the backer board would sag and touch the lower print. I prefer to mount and mat prints and stack them almost vertically using a stiff plywood or equiv. leaning against the wall first. Then cover with a protective foam core on the outermost print. I also worry about damaging large prints when i need to retrieve one of them from a flat stack of them flat together. It's much safer to handle them when each is on a backer.

I'd be interested to hear how you end up solving this.
Stuart

I'd definitely put some kind of acid-free tissue between the layers. As for storing them vertically, I'd worry about bending or edge damage when storing a 104"-long matted print on one end, leaning against the wall! Not so much about damage when retrieving them, especially with the spacing provided by an 8-ply matboard and back board.

Do you know whether the storage mats can also be used as the final mats for framing if they're high-quality, acid-free and buffered, or whether they should be replaced before framing after a period of storage?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 12:07:02 pm »

Crystalbags offer 40x60 so you could get to 100+ with 2 ganged together

framah

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 12:25:02 pm »

Where is the 104" coming from? You didn't mention anything about something being 104" long.

What would you be cutting that is 104" long?

No, you shouldn't mat/mount any of the prints until you need them to be. It takes up too much space in storage and the possibility of scuffing the mat is too much to chance having to scrap it and make another.  A slip sheet between the prints is definitely a good thing.

Vertical is not the way to go as you would have to clip them to the FC and that could leave  impressions where you might not want one.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

shadowblade

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 06:32:15 pm »

Where is the 104" coming from? You didn't mention anything about something being 104" long.

What would you be cutting that is 104" long?

A 30x90" print or 32x96" print, once matted, is around 104" long.

No, you shouldn't mat/mount any of the prints until you need them to be. It takes up too much space in storage and the possibility of scuffing the mat is too much to chance having to scrap it and make another.  A slip sheet between the prints is definitely a good thing.

Fair enough - I guess the choice is between scuffing the mat or damaging the corners/edges of the print. The space isn't really an issue, since they'd be lying flat under a bed or couch anyway.

From a purely archival point of view, is a mat used in storage also OK to use as the final mat for framing, or should it be changed?

Vertical is not the way to go as you would have to clip them to the FC and that could leave  impressions where you might not want one.

Makes sense. If the prints aren't matted, you'll have to clip them. If they are, they'll bend under their own weight.

smjphoto

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 09:13:01 pm »

36x104 needs a BIG bed or couch to find a clear space that size :)

If your not matting them to store them, is storing in a roll in a tube an option?

stuart

shadowblade

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 09:40:44 pm »

36x104 needs a BIG bed or couch to find a clear space that size :)

If your not matting them to store them, is storing in a roll in a tube an option?

stuart

Roll storage isn't ideal because of the curl it induces in the paper and because the inkjet layer on coated prints can crack when flexed.

It's a 4-seater couch, so there's plenty of space underneath!

deanwork

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 09:36:46 am »

I have a large body of work that is 40x60 and longer. Since they all have black backgrounds I really don't want to roll them up and store in tubes either, although that would be the easiest way and take less space.

What I did was to buy very large sheets of the one inch foamcor, the really thick stuff. First I put the prints in the 40x60 plastic bags sold by Uline and then put those inside a sandwich of the thick foamcor. I taped one side with gaffers tape to make a sort of hinge. Then I store the whole thing on a shelf under my work table. This works for me. Alternatively you could sheets of glassine between the prints and put that between the foamier, but it wouldn't protect them as well. It is very easy to damage prints of this size. For smaller prints up to 30x40 I use my flat files.

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up