Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gura Gear Uinta - First camera backpack for hikers?  (Read 3190 times)

dreed

Gura Gear Uinta - First camera backpack for hikers?
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:51:17 pm »

Finally there seems to be a backpack for photographers that has been designed to accommodate a water bladder:

http://www.guragear.com/uinta/

whilst having it on the outside isn't where I would have imagined it would go, it's great to see a system that recognises that not all landscape photography is done within 100 meters of the car.

MrSmith

Re: Gura Gear Uinta - First camera backpack for hikers?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 04:23:35 am »

FYI Lowepro have been fitting bladders/bladder pockets on their backpacks for years.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:38:24 am »

F-stop too.

Dave

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:24:30 am »

Sad to say, I don't see any mention of torso length sizing or adjustment, or of strap choice. With the modular backpacks, it would seem to be simple to provide the backpack itself in sizes. I have a short torso, and I am a "full-figured" gal, so short torso length and contoured shoulder straps with sternum strap attachment at sternum level (not at nipple level) would be nice. I made some strap modifications for the f-stop bag, and suggested to them that they ought to make the bags in various torso sizes, as is done with ordinary back-country packs meant to hold 30-60 pounds of gear/food/water.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:02:19 am »

My Clik bag (3 years old) is designed to hold a water bladder.  What intrigues me with the Uintah is it's potential versatility.  Different inserts for different systems using one bag.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:37:11 pm »

F-stop also has the different inserts, which can be handy if you need to vary the size of your kit to make room for non-camera stuff. The Satori is perfectly adequate for a weekend rough camping with a medium  insert, I can fit a tent, inflatable pad, single cooking pot and stove, 10 essentials odds and ends, spare sox, etc. The f-stop bag would be perfect if it came in torso sizes. Average torso guys, it would fit you well.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »

I'm sure the Uinta is a fine pack but by no means is it the "first camera backpack for hikers."  Clik Elite, f-stop gear and even Lowepro, with their Rover Pro 35L and 45L, all make packs that are designed for photographers who actually hike with their gear.  I've extensively used backpacks from all three of these manufacturers and they're all very good packs.  As you would expect, they each have strengths and weaknesses, but overall they're great products.  The Uinta doesn't appear to have a very sophisticated suspension system and seems to be a bit on the small side for someone carrying their gear on longer hikes who needs extra room for clothing layers, snacks, the 10 essentials, etc.  Just my opinion, but it's an informed one.  I've been hiking and backpacking for 24 years.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »

So, Bret, what do you think of the idea to have the larger photo packs in several torso lengths and have potential shoulder strap interchangeability? Yes, I am a bit tiresome about this, but photographers often carry as much weight as do the rough camping hikers, and the better brands of standard backpacks, Gregory, Osprey, Deuter, and the like all come in torso sizes. Hey, photo backpack manufacturers, here's an opportunity to make your pack different from the rest.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 08:00:31 pm »

So, Bret, what do you think of the idea to have the larger photo packs in several torso lengths and have potential shoulder strap interchangeability? Yes, I am a bit tiresome about this, but photographers often carry as much weight as do the rough camping hikers, and the better brands of standard backpacks, Gregory, Osprey, Deuter, and the like all come in torso sizes. Hey, photo backpack manufacturers, here's an opportunity to make your pack different from the rest.

Great question, Nancy.  At the very least, I think photo backpack manufacturers should offer packs with suspension that adjusts to various torso lengths.  This would accommodate a much more diverse user than the fixed suspension systems.  However, this still leaves female photographers without a dedicated solution.

If I owned a company that produced photo backpacks I would take a much more modular approach system wide.  Not only would the packs utilize a removable and exchangeable compartment for camera gear, not unlike the ICU's that f-stop gear uses, but I would also offer interchangeable suspension/harness systems - one for men and one for women.  Men and women are built different and there is no "one size fits all" solution that'll work well for both.  Admittedly, the potential market for the women's specific product is a fraction of the men's market but it is a viable market that is totally, completely ignored at present.

If only I had the capital to start a pack business! ;-)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:54:39 pm »

I'm only 5'6" and have the F-Stop Tilopa BC.  It was recommended to me by someone 5'4".  The most comfortable backpack I've ever had.

There's also http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.php which I believe can be custom fitted with different size straps and such. Used by large format photographers mostly. 

But I highly recommend the F-Stop gear packs.
Mike Guilbault

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 11:30:27 pm »

I'm only 5'6" and have the F-Stop Tilopa BC.  It was recommended to me by someone 5'4".  The most comfortable backpack I've ever had.

There's also http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.php which I believe can be custom fitted with different size straps and such. Used by large format photographers mostly. 

But I highly recommend the F-Stop gear packs.

I'm 5'9" and the Tilopa BC fits me perfectly. Versatile pack!  Of all the camera backpacks I've worn it is by far the best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up