Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: freezing  (Read 10656 times)

jgcox

• The World Exposed
freezing
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:33:54 am »

This has been a problem since day one. It seems that when I alt tab out of capture one (pro 7) the program locks up and I'm forced to bring up task manager and kill the process. Is there any work around for this? I'm still on the 60 day trial but I really like this software.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:35:27 am by jgcox »
My work www.theworldexposed.com
Photographic search tool www.gearsearch.info

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: freezing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 03:46:11 am »

Are you using 7.1.6? If not, update and see if the problem persists.

jgcox

• The World Exposed
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:54:14 am »

Yes 7.1.6 64 bit.

allegretto

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »

same here. Full blown iMac 27 i7 w/32G Ram... still freezes more than a puddle of water in Chicago

actually it can happen in quite a few situations. Really a bummer since I like the utility of the program. The customization of tools is amazing. I've got all my commonly used tools in one new custom set. It is a lovely engine for my Canon files.

But the darn crashing and locking is really an impediment. Would love to move my Sony (RX-1 for me RX-100 II for wifey) over as well but for now will stick to LR5. It's real pain since I  cannot be certain that I will be keeping C1 so I still load Canon files into LR5 too

David, I apologize for being terse with you a few weeks ago about this topic, but it is what it is right now... a meta-stable program. I wonder if I went with Sessions instead of Catalogs if it would be better... any thoughts along those lines? My logic is that the Catalog function is the new "topping" on the program and perhaps the bug is in there. I have always used Catalogs but to be honest I kind of like the hierarchy of the Sessions approach and love the Select folder idea.

george2787

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »

Is it random? does it always happens?

with a freshly booted system and nothing else opened the problem persists?

Sessions or catalog? (how much images are we talking about?)

Have you tried reinstalling c1?

I had some issues with a very big session folder with earlier versions of c1 7 but right now is smooth and working even with a 4.000 image time lapse I did the other day just for fun.

jgcox

• The World Exposed
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:51:38 pm »

It's usually when working via catalog, never more than 20 images. I'm not very fluent with the program right now, so it's most likely user error. It's not entirely random, -It only seems to happen when I tab to another program, so it's replicable.

george2787

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:29:36 am »

if you're running the latest version try creating a new catalog, maybe there's something wrong or corrupted with the one you are using.

I can't help passed this point as I haven't used them and don't intend to....

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:24 am »

that will not solve the problem in all likelihood. Heck, I've had it crash while opening another catalog.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:09:51 pm »

In my recent experience, C1 Catalog feature isn't quite ready for prime time.
I have decided to just use LR as a catalog/printer and C1 as my editor.
C1 works much better when using sessions.
I too have had issues when swapping between apps.
Just opening the catalog takes much too long. If you happen to get an email while editing, be ready for another delay when tabbing back into C1.
I was watching the Activity monitor while tabbing back and forth. What I found was that C1's CPU usage jumps drastically just switching between apps.
Its as if it has to re-render the images each time.
I disabled APP Nap, but it had no effect. I'm wondering whether the app nap disabler even works.

BTW 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 core
24GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB graphics
SSD drive.

allegretto

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:13:26 am »

Jimmy, exactly! If you change desktops or otherwise leave C1 to do some housekeeping elsewhere it gets very jealous and makes you pay, like an old girlfriend.

C1 customer service is in total denial. First, "you're not using Mac", then "send us your Mac profile". I have two blazing Macs, only the new Pro is likely to be faster. Runs LR and DxO9 like child's play. Slow and crashy on C1. I asked about a refund, they said I had a 60 day trial. Which I didn't use all of so I guess that's my bad (Ha!). I figured I'd give it the benefit of the doubt, but it has ended up just fooling me.

While I love importing my 6D files with their preset and linear as a start point, the problem is I can't get the RAW (cr.2) over to LR (hate tiff conversions, not sure if that's sane, but seems a waste) and for safety have to store it in both programs, thereby wasting space. Am experimenting with Dxo9 and then sending DNG over. Almost as good, but not quite (C1 does highlights far better). But if I get a recipe down it's difficult to see me using C1 until they get these bugs fixed and quit blaming users. I seriously wonder why they insist on this bull-headed POV and don't just admit it needs more work. Do they really believe that we are ALL wrong? Good will is tough to develop and near-impossible to reestablish once lost, they should be more senitive than this if they want Market share.

And, I doubled down with Media-Pro... don't get me started. Seems little more useful than C1 at present. Same problems. Takes a very long time to perform simple queries and can hang too. I honestly think C1 has made some source-code errors or something that causes the program to take "long-cuts" on the way home. Why else so slow and ponderous?

Will take your advice Jimmy and use Sessions. That way I will  only export my Selects to LR
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:16:49 am by allegretto »

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:27:05 am »

Yup, customer service could be better.
I started with a Mac Mini. When I inquired about issues, well the Mini "just isn't up to the task".
So I dropped about 3k on a Mac Pro. Its only slightly improved, and I am being generous.
Oh and Media Pro? Well that would be great except in order to render a single file In C1, one has to create a catalog set just for that photo.
That is about ridiculous considering they are supposed to be companion softwares. And for some odd reason the colors in Media pro are super saturated. Of course this is user error, but they cannot tell me where i've erred.
Same as you, all my other apps run without issue.

Be aware that C1 catalog doesn't get rid of your files when you delete them. You have dig around an manually delete at the file level.

I just render in sessions, export the tiff along with the original to LR, then delete the entire session.

Oh yeah, for fun, go to the official Phase One/C apture One user forums and check out how many threads are started but don't have a resolution.
Its amazing how many people simply give up.

george2787

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 07:05:58 am »

A retoucher friend says that capture one seems to be coded by the enemy... But to be fair you dont get better colors in any other editor without heavy tweaking so you end up making it work somehow and stick to it.

Try to read te capture integrations and digital transitions blog to get some clues, for example when importing i usually let it work and use the time to check mail and stuff like that, trying to work while generating previews is frustrating.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:59:19 am by george2787 »

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 10:00:49 pm »

I tried to replicate your "freeze" in Vista 64 Bit but was unsuccessful in Sessions or Catalogs. In the seven years using C1 freezes/crashes have been rare. If you are using a PC you might have a look at the "Event Viewer" to check for other causes.
Jack Varney

allegretto

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:46 am »

if one reads this thread hey would see that most of us are running Mac

Well I ran a batch in "Sessions" yesterday and it was flawless. This can happen in Catalog mode too, but often does not. Will keep trying Sessions for now. As long as you designate the storage sites for your originals it makes little difference

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 06:24:18 pm »

Perhaps you could review the MAC's comparable reports. Your ALT+F4 signaled a PC.
Jack Varney

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:11 pm »

Perhaps you could review the MAC's comparable reports. Your ALT+F4 signaled a PC.

Yeah the OP didn't say Alt-4 but Alt Tab. However, That and Task Manager are more Windows type things.
Us Mac guys have "Activity Monitor". Also we use "Command - tab" to tab between apps.

Anyway the Mac version doesn't fare any better. From what you posted, the Window's version is more well behaved.
I'm tempted to get a Copy of Windows and see if it acts any better. That would be a relatively expensive experiment, but I probably need to refresh myself in windows anyway.
Just a thought.

allegretto

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 03:00:26 pm »

Yeah the OP didn't say Alt-4 but Alt Tab. However, That and Task Manager are more Windows type things.
Us Mac guys have "Activity Monitor". Also we use "Command - tab" to tab between apps.

Anyway the Mac version doesn't fare any better. From what you posted, the Window's version is more well behaved.
I'm tempted to get a Copy of Windows and see if it acts any better. That would be a relatively expensive experiment, but I probably need to refresh myself in windows anyway.
Just a thought.

Jimmy,

put down the keyboard… step away… slowly   ;)

seriously. I use Sessions now and X3 no problems. Very well behaved. of course to dust serve it's still "my computer that is he problem" (let's see… have I ever heard that before?…hmmm. Run hundreds of programs/apps, but it must be my computer)

Try Sessions. Very well laid out. Only thing is to put your images on the NAS if you have one

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 08:42:54 pm »

Jimmy,

put down the keyboard… step away… slowly   ;)

seriously. I use Sessions now and X3 no problems. Very well behaved. of course to dust serve it's still "my computer that is he problem" (let's see… have I ever heard that before?…hmmm. Run hundreds of programs/apps, but it must be my computer)

Try Sessions. Very well laid out. Only thing is to put your images on the NAS if you have one

Oh I don't have a problem with Sessions. I love it. I said that I was gonna continue using C1, except only as an editor.
Its the Catalog that's causing issues. I even dropped to a single monitor to see if it was my 7950 card being "overtaxed". No change.
I'd love to have an easier workflow, but C1 just won't allow it.
I wonder if the folks who bought Express have the Catalog problems that the Pro users have. The Express users have no choice but to use catalogs.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:20 pm »

UPDATE!!!!!
I was doing nothing this morning so I tried an experiment.
I installed Mountain Lion on an empty drive, booted into ML and then installed C1 Pro.
I then copied the catalog onto the ML drive.
The catalog works perfectly!! The sliders were a bit sluggish but I didn't have to wait for the catalog to play "catch up" when switching between apps.
As a matter of fact the catalog was much better in Mountain Lion. Oh and this was on a 1Tb 2.5 5400 RPM drive.
Mavericks resides on a SSD plugged into a PCI express port.

Media Pro still had the over saturated look so that part didn't pan out.

allegretto

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 12:24:06 pm »

I run Mountain Lion.

Don't like the color in MP, but never edit there anyway.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up