Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens for A7r  (Read 6925 times)

jgcox

• The World Exposed
Lens for A7r
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:23:20 am »

Does anyone know how good the Voigtlander SLII 58 1.4 is? I'm looking at this lens for the A7r. The other option would be a bower cine 35 1.4 (a preferred focal length, but the Voigtlander looks sharper).
Any input is welcome.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:32:44 am by jgcox »
My work www.theworldexposed.com
Photographic search tool www.gearsearch.info

Telecaster

Re: Lens for A7r
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:54:58 pm »

Does anyone know how good the Voigtlander SLII 58 1.4 is? I'm looking at this lens for the A7r.

I have the Topcon-branded original version of this lens...same optics, I think. I plan to give it a good spin on the A7r as soon as my M42 adapter arrives. It's been a great lens on my Contax & Pentax film SLRs.

-Dave-

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:08:18 am »

Native E-mount Zeiss Sonnar 1.8/55mm is the best option in this range.

SangRaal

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 01:37:03 pm »

If you already have the Voigtlander lens I would use it. If you are buying it I would have to agree with qwz that the native FE mount sony Zeiss 55mm lens is a better sharper lens with autofocus etc. The old lens for topcon is only single coated and will not be great for digital unless you are doing B&W. Remember that voigtlander is Cosina's house brand Cosina also makes all of the current Zeiss Branded lenses ZM / ZF +canon mount + nikon mount. If you want to use a compact 50mm prime lens on your 7r try the voigtlander nokton 50/1.5(the chrome one is better built) or Zeiss 50/2 both are in M mount If you canh find a leica sumicron dual range 50/2 that is not cloudy that will also work . Also the voigtlander 35/1.4 m mount is much better optically that the bower cine lens and more compact. However I would again go with the native FE mount sony zeiss 35.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »

Hi,

Recent tests indicate that the Sonnar 1.8/55 is almost on par with the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55, but it is a bit expensive.

Best regards
Erik

Native E-mount Zeiss Sonnar 1.8/55mm is the best option in this range.

Erik Kaffehr

Vladimirovich

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:42 pm »

Hi,

Recent tests indicate that the Sonnar 1.8/55 is almost on par with the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55, but it is a bit expensive.

Sony runs a promo now when you can get $200 off one lens and $450 off one flash when purchased together with camera (A7 and A7r ?)... so out of curiosity I purchased A7 (I mainly use cameras hand held, so no A7r) + 55/1.8 + some ugly flash HVLF60M (it was like $100 after all so why not)

Manoli

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:24:39 am »

… so out of curiosity I purchased A7 ...

I had to read this post twice, Vladimirovich.
I never believed that there would ever be a camera that would make you consider an alternative to m4/3 … [smile]

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 04:08:22 pm »

Having now used a variety of 50–58mm lenses on the A7r (finally got all the adapters) I'd say this: unless you're going for a particular look from a familiar & favored lens, get the FE 55/1.8 and have at it. It's outstanding.

Using my rangefinder lenses in this focal length range has been an eye-opener. Focus shift! Now I knew it existed but I didn't realize the full extent of it. For best results all classic Leitz & Zeiss RF 50s (and Soviet Jupiter copies in Zeiss' case) should be focused at the taking aperture at f/5.6 and larger. The current Zeiss 50/2 Planar is free of this, though, as is (I imagine but don't know first-hand) the current Leica Summicron. The Planar is a great match for the A7r actually, but the native 55mm is better still.

-Dave-

Vladimirovich

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 04:15:29 pm »

I had to read this post twice, Vladimirovich.
I am a very open minded person ! so I decided to give Sony a chance.

Manoli

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 06:48:51 pm »

Using my rangefinder lenses in this focal length range has been an eye-opener. Focus shift! Now I knew it existed but I didn't realize the full extent of it.

Focus shift ? Aren't all range finder lenses focused at the 'taking' aperture ? Certainly all my Leica M lenses are - focus shift is not a problem. Do you mean field curvature or are you saying that that the Sony 55/1.8 exhibits focus shift ?

Metabones and Novoflex adapters for both Leica M and Nikon stop down as you turn the aperture ring. Metabones' SmartAdapter for Canon EF may be different - I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:51:15 pm by Manoli »

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:05 pm »

Focus shift ? Aren't all range finder lenses focused at the 'taking' aperture ? Certainly all my Leica M lenses are - focus shift is not a problem. Do you mean field curvature or are you saying that that the Sony 55/1.8 exhibits focus shift?

Focus shift. Rangefinder cameras don't take aperture into account when focusing. They can't...they have no idea what aperture you're using. It's a known issue with various M lenses when used on M cameras...there's a dip in performance in the f/4–5.6 range. This isn't because the lenses lose resolving power at these apertures, rather it's due to the point of focus having changed.

Keep in mind that the A7r's photosite count makes it easy to see this stuff. I've never noticed it with my X-E1, though I haven't gone looking for it either. (I've hardly used my 50s on the Fuji, prefering the Leitz 40/2 instead.) You have to measurbate, something I normally avoid but which I indulged in here since I'm trying out some of my very favorite lenses. In practical use it's not a huge deal, but since eliminating the shift is easy with an EVF—just focus with the lens stopped down—you might as well do so. This turns an oft-maligned lens like the Leitz 50/2 Summar into a damned good performer. The lens is quite low in overall contrast (it's uncoated) but very high in resolving power, particularly in the center where it outperforms both of my Rigid 50/2 Summicrons and gives the Zeiss Planar a solid run for its money. My 1940s era Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar (Leica Thread Mount) also benefits in the f/2.8–5.6 range from this focusing technique.

The Sony/Zeiss 55mm does not exhibit focus shift. Nor does the M mount Planar.

Here's a lens that wasn't a surprise: the little 1970s era Leitz 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. Sharp & high-contrast at all apertures through f/11. Fits easily in a jacket pocket. A perfect short tele on the Sony cam, IMO.

-Dave-

Manoli

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 01:32:22 am »

Having now used a variety of 50–58mm lenses on the A7r … Using my rangefinder lenses in this focal length range has been an eye-opener. Focus shift!

Dave/
Thanks, though I am aware of what focus shift is. Your original post read as though you had found focus shift on the A7r/rangefinder lens combo. That's one of the advantages of the EVF/LiveView/FocusPeaking combo - no more focus shift.

M
Pages: [1]   Go Up