Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Platen Gap settings..??  (Read 8214 times)

pikeys

• My Pics
Epson Platen Gap settings..??
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:39:24 pm »

I have the above printer,and,I am trying to set the platen Gap to its widest setting.
I am using Breathing Color,Optica 1 paper
When I try to change the gap to Wide,I'm getting the same setting as Standard,which is ,setting 3 {0.1mm}
The people at Breathing Color ,are recommending I use the widest setting possible,and I am getting head strikes on the upper left hand corner.
I have the same issue using Harman Gloss Art Fiber paper,and,Canson Platine{though not as frequent}.
I'm using the top feeder

Any help will be appreciated.

Mike

hugowolf

Re: Epson Platen Gap settings..??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:23:12 pm »

What printer would that be?

Brian A

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:29:15 pm »

Sorry Brian,
Epson R3000

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:25 pm »

You are probably using boxed and cut sheets of 13x19?

How bad is the curl of the paper once it sits out of the box for a while?  Sounds like the flattening roller isn't catching the top corner soon enough in the feeding and the paper is curling up and causing the strike prior to going under that roller.

Fwiw, I've been playing with the BC Silverada and the curl is pretty bad to the point the head will push it sideways while passing through the printer and maybe a 5 degree tilt to the lower part of the image too.  Some of the noise is quite alarming.  I made a D-roller from a 2" PVC pipe and a wrap-blanket of white fleece to roll it and flatten it, but the curl comes back pretty quick while going through the printer.  I haven't been that impressed with the product (Smells bad. Muddy color. Strong curl on edge. Color bleeds. Weak d-Max.) so I retired it.

SG

kjkahn

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:14:50 pm »

As the paper comes out of the printer, it is unsupported for a considerable part of its length and curls down. I think that forces the back end up. I made a crude support out of a piece of cardboard and some bubblewrap to provide a smooth sliding surface and stick it in the front of the printer to support the paper as it comes out.

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:22:08 pm »

Are you saying that the LED display indicates "Wide" but that you are not getting wide?  Or that in spite of making the change in the setup menu, it does not indicate "Wide" on the display?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 09:34:04 pm »

SG,
Thanks for your reply
I'm using 81/2 X 11 in paper,sheets.
The paper has little to no curl ,when it comes out of the box...,& no curl when it comes out of the printer.
I will try to call Epson to see if there is a work around on resetting the platen gap.
I must have thrown out 40-50 sheets of Canson Platine..a real shame,its a beautiful paper,and I just got the printer back from Ardito's repair service,even they are scratching their heads.
There must be a way to manually change the platen gap..????
Having 2 settings--standard & wide ,is a joke,only way to use fine art paper,is use the rear feeder??

I'll post back ,after I call Epson

Thanks guys,for your replies,

Mike

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:43:13 pm »

Rand,
No,I am getting wide,but I don't think it is wide enough.,it is indicating that the setting is, set to wide
The breathing color paper,is very thick
I was under the assumption,that the R3000 had settings,like-standard,wide,wider,widest?
When I go to change the platen gap ,& I set it to wide,and make the numerical change,it reverts back to 1,other numerical settings are not permitted
There are 2 settings:
standard-3 or 1
wide     -3-same as standard,even though it says ..wide??

Mike

na goodman

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52:18 pm »

Are you setting up in the paper config window in the print driver settings or are you using the printer scree menu?
Also, what do you have the paper thickness set to?

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:34:21 pm »

Both,printer screen menu,and driver
Paper thickness is set to 3,wide {{0.1 mm}
It will only let me change the thickness to either 3 or 1

Mike
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:41:57 pm by pikeys »

na goodman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:11 pm »

Why don't you try setting it up through the print driver window, adjust both paper thickness and platen and save as a custom setting and then try a print.

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:53:14 pm »

because ,it only allows me to choose 1 ,or,3..nothing higher
It does not allow me to actually type in another number
So,I have to leave it at wide,3.

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:57:40 am »

OK,Just got off the phone with Epson...
Seems ,the platen gap options and sizes can only be changed to the 2 default settings ,that I posted above,any manual changes will not work on the R3000.
Also,the tech support person also informed me,if other papers from other manufacturers are used,Ilford,Canson ..etc.;may or may not work properly.
They do guarantee that all Epson papers will work perfectly..

So,my next question;,-Is anyone using the Epson fine art papers,that are similar in texture/finish,to the Canson Platine,or,Breathing Color Optica 1 ,,or,Harman Gloss Art Fibre ,on the R3000 ,& loading them from the top feeder?
and,are you experiencing head strikes? ,or,any other issues?

Tnx,
Mike

kjkahn

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56:53 am »

As I mentioned, the paper is unsupported for a considerable part of its length and curls down as it comes out of the printer, possibly forcing the trailing edge up. I made a crude support out of a piece of cardboard and some bubblewrap to provide a smooth sliding surface and stick it in the front of the printer to support the paper as it comes out.

I have mostly been printing on Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique (12.2 mil) and a little on Museo Silver Rag (15 mil). I've been using the front manual feed tray but I think the curl down problem is the same. Occasionally, I get a slight mark on the left edge near the top (trailing edge) but it is usually short and within a small (.25 -.5 inch) border

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 12:10:29 pm »

I tried this morning a similar setup,using 2 boxes of paper,so,when the paper exits the printer,it is more or less,coming out straight,& even level with the tray.-it worked.
I am now using the Ilford GFS,wide the Platen Gap set to wide,3...{default setting};so,for now,that's the paper I will stick with.
IMHO,the GFS,is very close to the Photographique
My paper of choice,is the platine,and I will run some test prints .

Many thanks for your replies,KJ

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up