Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Epson Exhibition Canvas, SATIN  (Read 1132 times)

huguito

Question about Epson Exhibition Canvas, SATIN
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »

I made couple of test prints with this canvas, Satin finish, on my Epson 9600 using Photo Ink.
My own profiles made with a color munki
The literature that comes with the canvas, in the box, from Epson, tells me that matte or black ink can be used, but Matte ink will yield better D-Max and is recommended by Epson.
That paragraph doesn't tell me if that's the case on matte finish only, matte and satin, or in all 3 different surface finishes.

Has anyone here used this canvas, in satin finish, with both black inks to see what renders better d-max and deeper blacks?

I hate to do the expensive trip from photo to matte and back just to find out the note from Epson was referring only to the matte finished canvas.

By the way, the satin canvas printed on photo black and finshed with a thin spray of Hanemlhe aerosol is the best defined and sharp image I have ever seen printed on canvas. Looks almost like not too glossy paper, kind of baryta like, from more than a couple of feet.

Hugo

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Question about Epson Exhibition Canvas, SATIN
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:25:30 pm »

Exhibition Canvas Matte should receive matte black ink, and Exhibition Canvas Gloss should receive photo black ink.  The reason in both cases is better d-max and faster drying.  Or perhaps, drying that does not take forever as in the case of photo black on matte.  Yes, Satin can go either way, but I believe I read on a thread here somewhere that matte dries faster.  All those canvases should be sprayed with acrylic canvas varnish, or you're cruising for a bruising later on when they scuff from trivial handling, or melt from aerosol sprays.

If you're going to do a lot of printing, stick with matte canvas.  The complicated emulsion on all the gloss canvases (including the satin's) are hard to both manufacture and use, and the batch-to-batch consistency is poor.  But if you must use them, you should also look at BC's Crystalline canvases.  You do get noticeably better gamut from the satins and glosses, but one could argue whether or not you get better looking prints.

Edit: if you're looking for the best d-max, then coating will help you more than any variation of photo or matte black inks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:39:59 pm by bill t. »

huguito

Re: Question about Epson Exhibition Canvas, SATIN
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:29:50 am »

Thanks Bill
I called Epson yesterday and that's was almost the same thing they mentioned, Satin can be done either way.
The tech on the phone quantified it saying that even the matte finish canvas could be printed in photo ink if profiled right and will look 95% or better as good as printed in matte ink
Hugo
Pages: [1]   Go Up