Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still They Rise  (Read 1930 times)

batmura

Still They Rise
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:34:57 pm »

Lower Manhattan, NYC as seen from Brooklyn. HDR. C&C always appreciated.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Still They Rise
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »

Lower Manhattan, NYC as seen from Brooklyn. HDR. C&C always appreciated.

Other than "it's gorgeous", I'm at a loss. So,

"It's gorgeous".

Jeremy

batmura

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:49:11 pm »

Jeremy, thanks a lot! Always appreciate your feedback. Do you feel the colours look right? My wife says it's a bit too much, so I've done a more natural edit. Would love to hear your thoughts on this one as well.

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 03:04:07 pm »

"More natural" You're pulling our leg, right?   ;D

Later,
Johnny

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:06:39 pm »

Haven't we seen this one before? I remember commenting something about "nuclear."  ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 04:13:06 pm »

Batmura,

I would never dare to do the things you do with color. In my own landscapes I always try to be at least "plausible," and I generally don't care for scenes in which the colors all look over-saturated.

But your photos always have a kind of magic to them. You seem to choose one or two particular colors and exalt them to a wonderful "in your face" level.

So I really like the photos you have posted, including this one. Of these, the second version is almost the same as the first to my eyes, but looks a tiny bit watered down. So I prefer the first one, even if I need sunglasses to look at it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Colorado David

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »

I had to shoot a refueling operation at a nuclear power plant several years ago.  After shooting the refueling, we went into the storage area for the spent fuel rods.  The spent fuel rods are stored in a pool of water for all eternity . . . or until they figure out something else to do with them.  The fuel rod storage pool look kind of like the foreground in this photo.  ;D

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:24:35 am »

Since when is photography supposed to represent reality? This is not a documentary shot, it's a great photo.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:26:38 am »

Jeremy, thanks a lot! Always appreciate your feedback. Do you feel the colours look right? My wife says it's a bit too much, so I've done a more natural edit. Would love to hear your thoughts on this one as well.

Seems your style is just like that.
I say - keep doing it - explore it - one day when you feel to try something different you will change.
But as long as you have fun doing these extreme color water/sun/shoreline images do it.
It must develop in a natural way and I find the image presented here an interesting variation of your current work.
I also like the composition. There's a lot of freedom in what you can do with color in that image, even b/w would work.
Cheers
~Chris

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:20 pm »

I would never dare to do the things you do with color. In my own landscapes I always try to be at least "plausible," and I generally don't care for scenes in which the colors all look over-saturated.

But your photos always have a kind of magic to them. You seem to choose one or two particular colors and exalt them to a wonderful "in your face" level.

So I really like the photos you have posted, including this one. Of these, the second version is almost the same as the first to my eyes, but looks a tiny bit watered down. So I prefer the first one, even if I need sunglasses to look at it.

Yep, keep at it!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 02:40:02 pm »

Batmura,

Bat, I agree with everything Eric says. What do you mean by "right"? Your colours don't look even close to natural, but it doesn't matter: these aren't documentary shots, they're artistic interpretations of a scene, and I like them a lot.

Jeremy

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 08:10:50 am »

Great composition - strangely I'm drawn to the colour too :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up