Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current thoughts-Harman Gloss Baryta  (Read 1110 times)

Sal Baker

Current thoughts-Harman Gloss Baryta
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:33:31 pm »

I'm mostly using Canson Baryta Photographique and Platine but would like to give 17x25 inch sheets a try on my 3880.  My prints end up on small galleries with some sales.

I bought the sample pack and tried the standard and warm version of the paper and liked it, but I couldn't get a feel for how it looks with 17x25-ish prints.  Also, how do you feel about the brightness used in the standard version of Harman Gloss Baryta? 

Is it worth trying a box at $110?

Thanks.

Sal

howardm

Re: Current thoughts-Harman Gloss Baryta
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:43:54 pm »

good question.  I do much of the same workflow (3800, Canson Baryta) and recently got a 17x25 box of Harmon but have been cutting it down to 11x17ish and making test prints.  Surface is very fragile and scuff-prone and from what I see, has small pockmarks (sp?).  The sheen is very nice and I think it tends to print up darker than what I'm used to.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »

I thought when Hahnemuhle took over the brand that it would be worth trying again. Wrong! Unfortunately all the same problems are still there - scratches easily, wrinkles after matting, horrible curl out of the box, etc. Which is a shame as Harman is easily the best gloss paper for bw. The deepest blacks and a gloss that won't wink back at you. If you're willing to put up with the downsides and take all the necessary precautions when printing and framing, then go for it. But don't be surprised if it comes back to bite you.

Sal Baker

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:10:26 pm »

OK, thanks.  Sounds like it would be more hassel than just cutting my other paper from rolls like I do now for longer sheets.

Sal

Some Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 06:30:24 pm »

I tried the Canson's sample pack too with the 3880.  Here's the link to what I measured with the black ink, and issues I had with some scuffing marks made by the 3880 rollers on the surface, as well as just skimming over the surface to measure with the Colormunki Photo: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=84830.msg686588#msg686588

Their glossy art papers surface seems a bit temperamental to the Epson's mechanical rollers near the end of the print.  Seems to hinge on the eject rollers when they kick into high-speed to eject the sheet.  Looks like someone did a tire burnout in the black areas on the lower section of the print, maybe 15mm wide.

SG

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:59 am »

I had that problem also. Increasing the platen gap fixed it for me.

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:54:41 am »

It's a nice paper but I no longer use it, finding that I prefer Canson and Breathing Color PK-ink papers. I will say that I have a few 17x25 Harman prints on display, and regret not dry-mounting them. The prints oilcan badly, but those that are mounted in that size look fine. I'd actually mount any print, in any size, on that paper.

John Caldwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up